Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 05:11 AM

363 posts, read 445,074 times

Advertisements

Can anyone help me with information about this community.

I will be moving to live in Clermont and work at FCC Coleman in a month.

I don't need much space because I live alone but I do need a yard for my dog. I also like to ride my bike so would like some close scenery like the lakes.

My 63 year old mother also visits from the north and likes to take the dog for long walks in the neighborhood.

Would the area be safe for my mother to walk alone and what is the community like in general?

Thank you all.
-JD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2012, 07:04 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,154,031 times
Not a great neighborhood. It's not terrible, but definitely rough around the edges. There are a couple of registered sex offenders in the immediate vicinity. Hooks Street is a busy street, but there are sidewalks. Not much to look at as far as lake view there either.

It would not be my choice of places to live in 34711.

Old 12-15-2012, 07:10 AM

Thanks for your input. What do you think of the Spring Valley area?

Thank you for your help!

-JD

Old 12-15-2012, 07:32 AM

Much nicer. Modest, middle-class homes, long established neighborhood, mostly owner occupied. One sex offender if I recall, but double check that yourself. Surrounded on three sides by desirable/upscale subdivisions. I'd be wary of buying on the far eastern side as there will inevitably be a store or commercial building going in right behind you on the Route 27 frontage, but I'd rent there or buy on the western side without hesitation.

Your mother would be very safe walking the dog in the neighborhood which has sidewalks and only local traffic. I have friends that live there and they like the neighborhood and their neighbors. There are also sidewalks on Route 27 and Hammock Ridge, but both are very busy roads and not ones that I would choose for a leisurely walk.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Old 12-15-2012, 07:03 PM

Thank you!!!

I will attempt to rent one of those houses. I am having issues with the realtors. I call the listing agents and they don't call me back, etc.

This has proved to be more difficult than I expected.

Old 12-15-2012, 07:51 PM

25 posts, read 39,502 times
Not sure if you have visited this area before, but Spring Valley is quite a drive from FCC Coleman. Minneola would be a little be closer for you. If you don't know that zip, it is 34715. From Spring Valley, I would guess your commute would be at least 30 minutes one way.

Old 12-16-2012, 04:23 AM

Yes. I am from NY originally and now South Florida. Commutes are a part of life for New Yorkers. Minneola was nice too. I would not be opposed to Minneola either. It was further from stores, etc.

If my commute is 30 minutes instead of 25 minutes, it wont bother me especially when I will be fighting cows on the way to work instead of a billion cars.

I will drive an extra 10 minutes to live in the nicest house in the nicest neighborhood I can afford. Right now, when I look at the rentals, that seems to be Spring Valley area.

Any other communities you suggest. Quail Valley?

Thank you for any advice.
-JD

Last edited by doolish1; 12-16-2012 at 05:21 AM..

Old 12-16-2012, 08:16 AM

Quail Valley is nice, I have friends there as well. Same type of neighborhood as Spring valley as far as demographics. Shopping and amenities within a five minute drive. I wouldn't hesitate on that one, either.

Old 12-16-2012, 08:43 AM

Wonderful news. I will look in both neighborhoods. If any of these listing agents would call me back, I could complete a lease!!!!!!!!!! I've been very surprised that no one wants my money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-16-2012, 09:05 AM

It's a tight rental market right now, and a lot of agents don't want to mess with out-of-state people because they are often just fishing. I'd make sure they understand you are starting a job at the correctional facility on "X" date and are not just "getting ideas" but actually NEED to rent a home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: