Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 03:09 PM

1,639 posts, read 5,099,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Well you know, I mean my current job is 40-45 hrs a week, so to work even more than that is undesirable.
You have people in Orlando (and many other parts of the south) working 2 full time min wage jobs (80 hrs a week) to try to keep afloat. Northern wages are hard to come by down here.
I'm just saying, and then I'm gonna shut up unless your doing backbreaking work I don't see what the problem is
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 03:22 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,726,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by espizarro View Post
Did you visit Clermont? The area is unusually hilly, maybe next time you come go and give it a try, if I was to move to the Orlando area I would definitely pick this location to establish, as nothing else comes near it in terms of the really prominent hills, in fact, a high hill is found nearby from where you can even see the skyline of Orlando at the distance.

Check the photos in the link. YES, THIS IS FLORIDA even if you don't believe it, these photos are in Florida!

https://www.city-data.com/forum/flori...lermont-3.html
Those hills are in Florida? I lived in Daytona Beach and never saw anything but flat land!

Old 10-30-2012, 03:47 PM

79 posts, read 151,909 times
Quote:
Well you know, I mean my current job is 40-45 hrs a week, so to work even more than that is undesirable.
Advancement opportunities usually come with more responsibility and sometimes more time requirements. The dollar in Orlando goes farther in Orlando than in CT, so theoretically it is a raise. This sounds like a great offer and if you are concerned with 5 more hours per week, then you are not the right candidate for the position.

I suggest you turn the position down so someone who wants it can get it.

Old 10-30-2012, 03:48 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
Those hills are in Florida? I lived in Daytona Beach and never saw anything but flat land!
Yes, I live smack in the middle of them.

Old 10-30-2012, 03:50 PM

79 posts, read 151,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Yes, I live smack in the middle of them.
It is amazing. Thanks for sharing!

Old 10-31-2012, 01:42 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
I lived in O-town for 17 years and never found any problems with the area. Sure, Parramore is the ghetto, but when I first saw the area I said to my friend "Jeeze, they don't even know how to run a good ghetto down here". It looked like a typical run down area that I would find outside any down town area anywhere in the US. Overall, I always felt the Orlando area was a great place to live and be.

Good luck on your relocation.

Quote:
I had the opportunity to spend most of last week visiting the Orlando area and just wanted to share my impressions. Recall that I am considering moving down from Connecticut within the next two months, with no job.

Anyway, the overall area didn't seem NEARLY as bad as most people on this forum made it out to be. I thought most of the metro area appeared very clean and generally felt safe, except for a few concentrated areas in the city. I drove on the highways during rush hour twice and didn't think the traffic was as bad as many other cities. The downtown seemed clean, safe and walkable, with plenty of shops and restaurants. Outside of that, there were many nice suburbs and I NEVER felt unsafe. The whole area didn't seem like a stressful place to live either, but I'm sure each person's life is different in that regard. I thought Maitland, Winter Park, Oviedo, Apopka, Ocoee, Winter Garden and Celebration seemed all like nice places. I was also impressed to see that there are many neighborhoods that have nice homes and do not have the cookie cutter look, altough I saw plenty here and there. I also liked how many of the roads curved and had subtle hills, unlike many other parts of Florida. And I met a few people while there. Some were educated with good jobs, some were not. It's like that any place. I also liked how the people are similar to Northeastern people, albeit slightly slower paced (which I like). I liked how there is a large gay population that isn't as pretentious as other cities like San Francisco, NYC or Boston. Many other guys actually talked to me and I didn't feel invisble for once!

Now, what I didn't like was that of course, the land area is remarkably flat compared to CT. And the layout and architecture of many areas aren't as charming as New England, but oh well...not a huge deal. And of course, I would prefer to have a little more seasonal changes in the climate, but I knew that FL is like that. The tolls were annoying too, but a Sun Pass could be purchased. Also, I was disappointed to see way too many Romney/Ryan yard signs. That makes me think it's a super conservative area. But I know in reality it's more moderate.

Overall, I would say that after having visited, I am now seriously leaning toward moving there soon. It sems like it would work reasonably well for me. I'm being realistic in that it doesn't seem like a super exciting city, but I don't care....I'm mostly a homebody suburban type of guy who loves driving a car. And I'm not expecting it to be a fascinating, glamorous place. I think with a positive attitude and realistic expectations, it would work for me, since it seems to offer much of what I want in everyday life.

Thoughts?

Old 10-31-2012, 01:44 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
Do you have any idea how many Northerners are doing the same thing? Of course northern wages arent here. The NE is notoriously expensive to live in, especially near a city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoslade223 View Post
You have people in Orlando (and many other parts of the south) working 2 full time min wage jobs (80 hrs a week) to try to keep afloat. Northern wages are hard to come by down here.
I'm just saying, and then I'm gonna shut up unless your doing backbreaking work I don't see what the problem is

Old 10-31-2012, 07:06 PM

1,639 posts, read 5,099,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Do you have any idea how many Northerners are doing the same thing? Of course northern wages arent here. The NE is notoriously expensive to live in, especially near a city.
My point was, if you are able to bring those type of wages to just about anywhere in the south, you would be living much better. Your dollar goes further down here (esp in Fla. with no state tax) than most anywhere in the Northeast. If you can show me stats that prove otherwise, then hey

I can't see why anyone would turn that down for just 5 extra hours a week

A day sorry

Last edited by mongoslade223; 10-31-2012 at 07:07 PM.. Reason: a day

Old 10-31-2012, 07:25 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Quote:
My point was, if you are able to bring those type of wages to just about anywhere in the south, you would be living much better. Your dollar goes further down here (esp in Fla. with no state tax) than most anywhere in the Northeast. If you can show me stats that prove otherwise, then hey

A day sorry
exactly

Old 10-31-2012, 07:33 PM

5,023 posts, read 7,450,618 times
Quote:

A day sorry
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando