Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 11:02 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,030,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
That's the title companys responsibility and if they screw up, that's why you have title insurance
My point is that often with foreclosures there are liens that can run into the tens of thousands of dollars over and above the courthouse steps sales price, and no title insurance can make those go away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2012, 11:19 AM

998 posts, read 1,215,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
My point is that often with foreclosures there are liens that can run into the tens of thousands of dollars over and above the courthouse steps sales price, and no title insurance can make those go away.
Are you saying that because title insurance is not available at the court house auction? Or are you saying title insurance does not cover liens the title company did not discover in their title search?

Old 10-26-2012, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazeeKrewe View Post
Are you saying that because title insurance is not available at the court house auction? Or are you saying title insurance does not cover liens the title company did not discover in their title search?
ACK!

I'm saying that when you buy a house at the courthouse steps, there is no guarantee that there aren't tens of thousands of dollars in liens that must be paid over and above what you pay to the Sheriff. The water company, HOA, former lawn service provider, the list goes on. Anyone with a lien against the house will have to be satisfied on transfer of ownership.

The only way to find out about every lien is to have a title search done--that costs $400-600 or more whether you win the house or not. Title insurance will only pay for liens missed during that title search. It doesn't pay for known liens--those are the responsibility of the purchaser, and the title insurance will not go into effect until those liens are paid and cleared.

Title insurance is not available at the courthouse steps. You would need to have the search done in advance and purchase the policy to become effective at the transfer of title once liens were paid in full. That's a lot of money to spend for a house you might not even win at auction.

Old 10-26-2012, 12:04 PM

998 posts, read 1,215,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
ACK!

I'm saying that when you buy a house at the courthouse steps, there is no guarantee that there aren't tens of thousands of dollars in liens that must be paid over and above what you pay to the Sheriff. The water company, HOA, former lawn service provider, the list goes on. Anyone with a lien against the house will have to be satisfied on transfer of ownership.

The only way to find out about every lien is to have a title search done--that costs $400-600 or more whether you win the house or not. Title insurance will only pay for liens missed during that title search. It doesn't pay for known liens--those are the responsibility of the purchaser, and the title insurance will not go into effect until those liens are paid and cleared.

Title insurance is not available at the courthouse steps. You would need to have the search done in advance and purchase the policy to become effective at the transfer of title once liens were paid in full. That's a lot of money to spend for a house you might not even win at auction.
I was not aware that all disclosed liens must be paid before they would bind coverage. At the closing table liens were disclosed to me & the title insurance was to cover the ones they missed.

Old 10-26-2012, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazeeKrewe View Post
I was not aware that all disclosed liens must be paid before they would bind coverage. At the closing table liens were disclosed to me & the title insurance was to cover the ones they missed.
Bottom line, all known liens need to be paid prior to transfer of the property. It doesn't matter is they are paid by the buyer, the seller, or the next door neighbor who'll do anything to get someone into the house who will take care of it. You can't insure something that doesn't belong to you, so in order for the title insurance to bind, you need to get title to the property. You can't get that without the (known) liens being cleared. Does that make sense?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: