Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 09:33 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,580,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomesickFloridian View Post
Maybe they'll be visionary enough to take over one of the closing stores of Albertsons in a decent location and better quality store rather then consider refurbishing the old one.. That'd be my play.
That would be a good move on their part, only problem is Gooding's seems to have a history of not paying their bills (ie, oweing $200,000 in rent back in 2010, going through Ch 11 TWICE in 4 years) so I doubt they have the money to do so. Even worse if some of their vendors have cut them off (as one poster previously stated)

If Im not mistaken, the old Dr Phillips Albertson's still sits empty (after being closed HOW long?) Perhaps if I private investor were to take up an interest in Gooding's and give them the funds, they could purchase that location from Publix and open a Gooding's store there

I think another thing that really hurt Gooding's was the too much competition from all the supermarket big boys (Publix, SuperTarget, and Super Wal Marts, even Winn Dixie and Albertson's) When Gooding's was at its peak, they had 18 stores in and around Orlando. All these other chains had hundreds around various places across the country

Usually local chains like Gooding's dont hold up once the big boys come in and build more stores, with better selection and lower prices. Thats one thing about Gooding's it always was and still is family owned

Last edited by DavieJ89; 04-17-2012 at 09:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 10:00 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,198,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
That would be a good move on their part, only problem is Gooding's seems to have a history of not paying their bills (ie, oweing $200,000 in rent back in 2010, going through Ch 11 TWICE in 4 years) so I doubt they have the money to do so

If Im not mistaken, the old Dr Phillips Albertson's still sits empty (after being closed HOW long?) Perhaps if I private investor were to take up an interest in Gooding's and give them the funds, they could purchase that location from Publix and open a Gooding's store there
Just what we need ... another super market in DP. Publix on Sand Lake, Publix near Isleworth, Albertsons on the corner of Apopka-Vineland/Conroy-Windermere, Whole Food on the corner of Sand Lake & Turkey Lake. Yep, sign us up for another supermarket ...

Old 04-17-2012, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
Just what we need ... another super market in DP. Publix on Sand Lake, Publix near Isleworth, Albertsons on the corner of Apopka-Vineland/Conroy-Windermere, Whole Food on the corner of Sand Lake & Turkey Lake. Yep, sign us up for another supermarket ...
Yup, another supermarket and less ugly empty retail space! If Gooding's did open there, it would fill that space and create some jobs

Btw you know you're about to lose that Albertson's on APK-Vineland and Conroy right?

Old 04-17-2012, 10:11 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,198,651 times
Quote:
Yup, another supermarket and less ugly empty retail space! If Gooding's did open there, it would fill that space and create some jobs
And go out of business in a year or two ...

Quote:
Btw you know you're about to lose that Albertson's on APK-Vineland and Conroy right?
I had heard that, but don't really care. I never set foot in that store ...

Old 04-17-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
And go out of business in a year or two ...

Not if they market themselves properly and lower their prices somewhat

I had heard that, but don't really care. I never set foot in that store ...
Albertson's isnt so great a store anyways

As far as Gooding's goes, the thought of them opening another store is a nice one. Unfortunately I think that they have reached a point of no return and one day the last location will close. I highly doubt anybody wants to invest in that store and help them rebuild and there is too much competition already

Old 04-17-2012, 11:48 AM

511 posts, read 855,141 times
Quote:
That would be a good move on their part, only problem is Gooding's seems to have a history of not paying their bills (ie, oweing $200,000 in rent back in 2010, going through Ch 11 TWICE in 4 years) so I doubt they have the money to do so. Even worse if some of their vendors have cut them off (as one poster previously stated)

I think another thing that really hurt Gooding's was the too much competition from all the supermarket big boys (Publix, SuperTarget, and Super Wal Marts, even Winn Dixie and Albertson's) When Gooding's was at its peak, they had 18 stores in and around Orlando. All these other chains had hundreds around various places across the country

Usually local chains like Gooding's dont hold up once the big boys come in and build more stores, with better selection and lower prices. Thats one thing about Gooding's it always was and still is family owned
I think so too as then by moving in they would also be making a PR statement by in essence saying that we are still here even though these others have long since become dinosaurs and now we've taken over their territory and marked it as ours.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:24 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,512,388 times
Quote:

I can't imagine them them ever opening up a Gooding's there. Way too much competition from Publix and Whole Foods. Besides, they once had a Gooding's in the Marketplace on the opposite side, where Home Goods now is. I think the best thing to go in the Albertson's space would be something like a Target or Best Buy. I agree that something needs to in there. That side of the Marketplace is desperate for a revival.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:59 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,330,379 times
Quote:
If the Aldi/Trader Joes family from Germany is smart, they'll open a Trader Joes in that location. Either Dr Phillips or Winter Park would be a prime spot for a TJ's in central FL.

Old 04-17-2012, 04:59 PM

2,580 posts, read 3,751,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomesickFloridian View Post
Maybe they'll be visionary enough to take over one of the closing stores of Albertsons in a decent location and better quality store rather then consider refurbishing the old one.. That'd be my play.
Yep. I've been to the Conroy-Windermere Albertson's once and was SHOCKED how beautiful it was compared to the other stores I had visited. That may be a good location.

Old 04-17-2012, 05:51 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,512,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
If the Aldi/Trader Joes family from Germany is smart, they'll open a Trader Joes in that location. Either Dr Phillips or Winter Park would be a prime spot for a TJ's in central FL.
I would probably be the happiest person on the planet if that happened! Central Florida needs a Trader Joe's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando