Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2012, 12:25 PM

8 posts, read 30,242 times

Advertisements

We are moving to the Orlando area in July. DH is being transferred by his company and will be working at a location at the intersection of Orange Blossom Trail and Central Florida Parkway. We were originally looking at Lake Mary and Winter Park but now need to focus our home search either South or West of Orlando. I know Dr. Phillips and Windermere have good schools but are there any other safe neighborhoods with desirable schools we can look at? Our main focus is finding a good school for the kids (one elementary, one middle) but we are also working on a limited budget ($140-170K for a single family home; min 3 bedrooms). I have found some highly rated schools in areas of Orlando like Hunter's Creek and Ocoee (Thornebrooke elementary) but would like to know if these areas are safe or have any negatives we should know about.
We would like to stay in a 20-25 minute radius for his commute also, so any other suggestions of safe towns zoned with good schools in that area would be greatly appreciated. We can take two short trips down but I'd like a solid game plan in place before we visit.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 02:51 PM

57 posts, read 158,615 times
Hmm, I remember your other post from earlier! I'm wondering if you read my other response here? https://www.city-data.com/forum/orlan...d-schools.html

Anyway, thanks for giving a price range! From my living experience here and where you need to be for your husband's job, I urge you to try and check out Williamsburg. From what you have told me, it seems like the best overall option.

Williamsburg houses- Williamsburg Real Estate - Homes for Sale in Williamsburg, Orlando, FL - Realtor.com®

Williamsburg is located between Doctor Phillips and the eastern side of South Orlando, putting you close to entertainment and amenities, but still a very peaceful area, since it used to be a retiree community. I hear it has a lot of young families there now though! It's really a quiet, underrated community, surrounded by trees. I love my drive there as I attend college.

You are practically a minute or two from Central Florida Parkway, so you can avoid the heavy congestion on John Young and Orange Blossom Trail, the school selection puts you on the better side of South Orlando, closer to the Loop and Hunter's Creek without having to venture for school in Kissimmee. The schools rate from 5-9, overall. Anything below 5 you want to avoid.

I know you are probably worried about rating number 5, which would put you in Waterbridge Elementary. I attended this school and had no problems, in fact, the school is much nicer these days since they renovated it a couple years back. Never had a problem with the teachers, and I was a straight A student and really loved my time there. If that still worries though, you have John Young elementary that rates at 7. And Sand Lake at 10, which will put you closer to Doctor Phillips. What I'm saying is, don't let the ratings affect your decision TOO much, because what really matters is how the teachers are and the environment, and I found Waterbridge to be just fine, in fact, fun.

The middle schools are Hunter's Creek and Freedom Middle, with ratings of 9 and 7 respectively. Hunter's Creek is older and a bit more congested, while Freedom Middle is newer and a bit more strict when it comes to cleanliness. Both offer gifted programs and are pretty professional schools, in my opinion. I can vouch for them both as I have went to both schools.

High schools I went to were Cypress Creek (5) and Freedom (7). I, personally, preferred Freedom. Cypress is a really old, kind of grungy school with teachers that are not as caring. I found the staff there to be really unattentive, sometimes even cold, didn't like the staff that handled the IB program in particular. It used to have a rating of 4. Freedom is newer, cleaner, easier to nagivate and when I went there, it was really nice, loved the teachers there, most of whom were really kind, caring, and loved what they taught. School is very strict toward regulations though.

You may want to check out Hunter's Creek, however, you are on the lower tier of prices and your options are scarce. Also, Hunter's Creek is about ten minutes or so away from the Kissimmee and the Osceola school district that has less than desirable schools. The high school, Cypress Creek, is one of the most uncaring schools I've ever attended, even though they have the IB magnet program. It's a nice area for sure, just not really best bang for your buck, in your particular situation. You get a much wider selection of housing, better commute, and better amenities living in Williamsburg.

Hunter's Creek houses- Hunters Creek Real Estate - Homes for Sale in Hunters Creek, Orlando, FL - Realtor.com®

You may also want to check out Conway and the Belle Isle area, has really nice schools (rating 6-9), but it's really far away from much of anything and a stretch from your job, and it's kind of a darker, more lush area. Kind of on the old side and you'd probably have to travel on OBT to get to your job, which is less than ideal, the traffic is horrendous on the road. I still recommend Williamsburg for you guys. Don't get me wrong, Conway is a lovely area, but it does border on some of the harder areas of Orlando and starts approaching Downtown, which has more crime to the north and west, and is a bit more dense. Close to the 436 too, which is a very congested and often crime filled road. I think your kids will prefer growing up in a place that is close to all the fun life, but still have a nice approachable schools not too close to traffic and less than desirable areas.

I hope this helps! Give me a response if you need any other input. I hope you find the place you are looking for.

Old 03-07-2012, 10:16 PM

8 posts, read 30,242 times
You are nothing short of fabulous!!!!!!!!!!! This is exactly what I needed (and I am so overloaded at this point I totally forgot I had made another thread--so thank you twice!)...I really appreciate the excellent advice!

Old 03-19-2012, 04:06 AM

8 posts, read 67,215 times
If you are looking in South West Orlando, I would choose to live in Hunter's Creek over Williamsburg any day. The children of Hunter's Creek go to Hunter's Creek Schools. They have two elementary schools, and one middle school in our community. Freedom High School is the new school that all of Hunter's Creek goes too.

Hunter's Creek is a huge community that has their own town center with stores, restaurants, a mall (The Loop), parks, and community events. If you are looking to move in that part of town, you will find your self going into Hunter's Creek for everything.

Living in Hunter's Creek, you will have to pay a Home Owner Association Fee on a monthly basis, but if you drive around the area, you will understand why. They keep their parks, landscaping, very clean and uniform.

Hunter's Creek was just recently voted by CNN the 21 best place to live in America.

Old 03-26-2012, 01:19 PM

57 posts, read 158,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCGuy View Post
If you are looking in South West Orlando, I would choose to live in Hunter's Creek over Williamsburg any day. The children of Hunter's Creek go to Hunter's Creek Schools. They have two elementary schools, and one middle school in our community. Freedom High School is the new school that all of Hunter's Creek goes too.

Hunter's Creek is a huge community that has their own town center with stores, restaurants, a mall (The Loop), parks, and community events. If you are looking to move in that part of town, you will find your self going into Hunter's Creek for everything.

Living in Hunter's Creek, you will have to pay a Home Owner Association Fee on a monthly basis, but if you drive around the area, you will understand why. They keep their parks, landscaping, very clean and uniform.

Hunter's Creek was just recently voted by CNN the 21 best place to live in America.

This is partly correct. However, there are still some Hunter's Creek areas that are still zoned for Cypress Creek High. Technically, Hunter's Creek is closer to Cypress than Freedom, I'd say. Although, a sizeable amount do attend Freedom High now.

Schools aside though, compared to Williamsburg, Hunter's Creek is not a very viable option for beccagrace's budget. You are lucky to get a house in HC for under 200,000, which will really make it harder for the OP to find a nice place to live there.

Also, the proximity to Central Florida Parkway simply cannot be beat from Williamsburg compared to Hunter's Creek. Hunter's Creek you'll have to drive on the main roads, either John Young or Orange Blossom Trail which can be heavy in traffic. True, it's not far from CFP, but Williamsburg exits right onto the road which would make driving there a breeze.

All in all, budget, commute, and schools, Williamsburg really is the most reasonable for you, OP, just in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong, OP and HCGuy, I absolutely LOVE Hunter's Creek, it's a very beautifully manicured part of South Orlando, with plenty of shopping near by. One of my favorite parts of living here, in fact. I just don't think it's possible or the best option for OP, is all. I wish my folks could have afforded Hunter's Creek, lol!

And you are very welcome, beccagrace, I'm glad I could have been of help! I hope everything transitions smoothly for your family and you. Regardless of what you choose in Orlando, I hope you enjoy it. Take care!

Old 03-12-2015, 08:48 AM

3 posts, read 17,270 times
I we are moving to Orlando are this summer for my Husbands job which is in Oviedo. We have a daughter who is 12 going into 7th grade. my husband will drive up to 30 min to be in a great area specifically a good school with welcoming staff and kids. she plays sports so thats a good thing to meet people. we want to be in a gated community also any suggestions on schools, neighborhoods, sports with schools, being school top of are list, also we are coming from CT which the school system is very elite so this a very big and scary but good change for us. Thank you

Old 03-12-2015, 09:11 AM

22 posts, read 31,298 times
https://www.ocps.net/cs/services/acc...20(022515).pdf

Hope this helps, Orange County school grades.

Old 03-12-2015, 09:22 AM

Thanks

Old 03-12-2015, 09:24 AM

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando