Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 08:25 AM

27,281 posts, read 44,249,229 times

Advertisements

As a recent transplant back to the area after not living here for almost 20 years I have been pleasantly surprised by commercial development in downtown Sanford and College Park. I'm giving serious consideration to opening a new business and a demographic/potential traffic somewhat similar to Park Avenue in Winter Park is what I'm after. Sanford isn't there yet, and I don't think College Park is either. Is there anywhere else???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 08:39 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,068,600 times
Take a look at the Thornton Park/South Eola District at The Sanctuary and 101 Eola. With Mucho Tequila, the new Abbey theater, 4 new restaurants (all by well established local restaurant owners) in the works, and a boutique liquor store all opening in the coming months, people feel this area will become hot again since those spaces closed during the recession. This area, along with the other adjoining streets, will be the closest thing in look and feel to Park Ave in the downtown area by far:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en...0c2a6&t=h&z=17

College Park is a neat strip that seems to be gaining momentum as well lately. I would say that area has a more eclectic urban feel rather than upscale like Thornton Park, though it is home to some top notch restaurants. Another spot that is seeing some new businesses is Mills Ave near Colonial, and then you have the really small Milk District which has a rabid following among the hipster crowd.

Last edited by Pete C; 05-24-2011 at 08:48 AM..

Old 05-24-2011, 08:45 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,214,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
Take a look at the Thornton Park/South Eola District. With Mucho Tequila, the new Abbey theater, 4 new restaurants (all by well established local restaurant owners) in the works, and a boutique liquor store all going in at the Sanctuary and 101 Eola in the coming months, people feel this area will become hot again since those spaces closed during the recession. This area will be the closest thing in look and feel to Park Ave in the downtown area by far.

College Park is a neat strip that seems to be gaining momentum as well lately. I would say that area has a more eclectic urban feel rather than upscale like Thornton Park, though it is home to some top notch restaurants. Another spot that is seeing some new businesses is Mills Ave near Colonial, and then you have the really small Milk District which has a rabid following among the hipster crowd.
I'd like to think College Park is gaining momentum, but when I see restaurants like Harmoni closing, I start to wonder ?

Old 05-24-2011, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
I'd like to think College Park is gaining momentum, but when I see restaurants like Harmoni closing, I start to wonder ?
True, but the reviews of that place were going downhill. I never ate there so I can't really say. The new Grafitti Junktion there seems to be doing very well. However, I really think Thornton Park is going to be the star of downtown. It was already going that direction prior to the recession, but that but the brakes on things. You have Lake Eola which is a built-in draw, a pretty atmosphere, and trendy restaurants. There is still plenty of empty space around, but in 2 years I can't see that being the case...unless something goes wrong again with the economy.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:04 AM

12,638 posts, read 32,172,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
As a recent transplant back to the area after not living here for almost 20 years I have been pleasantly surprised by commercial development in downtown Sanford and College Park. I'm giving serious consideration to opening a new business and a demographic/potential traffic somewhat similar to Park Avenue in Winter Park is what I'm after. Sanford isn't there yet, and I don't think College Park is either. Is there anywhere else???
I really like how downtoen Sanford has grown. They have several events going on throughout the year that incorporate local businesses as well. The Riverwalk is great. They have a few nice eateries, bars and antique stores. I'd like to see it grow a bit more as far as businesses in the downtown. I love a walkable downtown.

Another area you may like is downtown Mt Dora. They have a mix of shops, cafe's, bars, thrift shops and more.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
I really like how downtoen Sanford has grown. They have several events going on throughout the year that incorporate local businesses as well. The Riverwalk is great. They have a few nice eateries, bars and antique stores. I'd like to see it grow a bit more as far as businesses in the downtown. I love a walkable downtown.

Another area you may like is downtown Mt Dora. They have a mix of shops, cafe's, bars, thrift shops and more.
I like what I've seen as well but unfortunately I don't think the foot traffic is there yet which is scary for a new business that needs it, unlike an established one that has developed an identity and reputation. Mt Dora could work but am concerned somewhat that it seems to have a lot of gawkers/browsers but few buyers.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
Take a look at the Thornton Park/South Eola District at The Sanctuary and 101 Eola. With Mucho Tequila, the new Abbey theater, 4 new restaurants (all by well established local restaurant owners) in the works, and a boutique liquor store all opening in the coming months, people feel this area will become hot again since those spaces closed during the recession. This area, along with the other adjoining streets, will be the closest thing in look and feel to Park Ave in the downtown area by far:

Thornton Park/South Eola District - Google Maps

Thanks for the info. I like College Park a lot, not only for it's feel but the demographic as well. I'm not sure about the Thornton Park area as my concept requires a demographic that knows food and actually cooks, which doesn't appear to be the case there...??

Old 05-24-2011, 12:44 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,721,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Thanks for the info. I like College Park a lot, not only for it's feel but the demographic as well. I'm not sure about the Thornton Park area as my concept requires a demographic that knows food and actually cooks, which doesn't appear to be the case there...??
I work in that area. Its a very professional/progressive demographic there, that seems like they know food. I agree with Pete, I would go with that area.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:13 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,367,793 times
I like College Park alot also. My take on Harmoni having patronized the place is that the pricing (particularly in the recent economy) did them in. They had some really good products, but when people are penny pinching artesian products just aren't as appealing as Publix brand. ie. look at Tijuana Flats, they came in there with a reasonably priced, casual alternative to some of the other dining options and they seem to always be packed. Not to say that higher end or quality products could not work now or going forward but unfortunately for Harmoni the timing just was not right.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
I like College Park alot also. My take on Harmoni having patronized the place is that the pricing (particularly in the recent economy) did them in. They had some really good products, but when people are penny pinching artesian products just aren't as appealing as Publix brand. ie. look at Tijuana Flats, they came in there with a reasonably priced, casual alternative to some of the other dining options and they seem to always be packed. Not to say that higher end or quality products could not work now or going forward but unfortunately for Harmoni the timing just was not right.
I believe this is why Mucho is such a hit too. It's not the best Mexican food ever, but it is fresh, the pricing is right on point, and they have great drink specials every single night. Result...place has customers every day.

That said, I would love to see a seafood shop (like Lombardi's) or specialty grocery store in Thornton Park. I would go there for sure. I love Publix and go every week, but still have to drive to go to other places like Eat More Produce, Lombardi's, Dong A, and Shipyard for certain things like artisan bread, fresh seafood, ethnic ingredients etc. My wife is a chef so we are always buying all sorts of stuff.

Publix is packed down here and looks to be doing great business, but I wonder if there are enough people that are into specialty stores to support them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando