Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2011, 05:19 PM

18 posts, read 62,201 times

Advertisements

Hi all! Relocating to the windermere/winter garden area this spring/early summer. We're looking for a great place to live that is family friendly. I'm concerned about flood zones. Does the ground flood easily when the heavy rains come? We don't want to get stuck with a problem. I see that this area (esp Windermere) is surrounded by lakes and it kinda freaks me out. Do you know if this has ever been a problem for the residents there?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 05:50 PM

2,131 posts, read 4,529,053 times
I've never heard of major flooding around there, and I've lived in the area 17 years.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:40 AM

10 posts, read 27,141 times
I have not experience any flooding up here. We are some what higher grounds than the rest of Orlando.

1. How is the reputation of Windermere?
I moved here in 2003 from Palma Vista in Metrowest. I would not live anywhere else in the Orlando Metropolitan area. The best small affluent town in Orlando.
2. What has the selling history been like? Any drastic declines? Forclosures?
Some foreclosures but interesting enough... there is a lot of construction going on around us right now. Lakeside village a shopping center with Publix coming on Ream Rd and 535. The Harvest a new Church complex. Windermere Prep school just renovated their campus. Foundation private school opened last year. There are new subdivisions being built at this time.
3. We would have loved to find a neighborhood with a community pool for the girls, but Windermere does not have a community pool.
Lakes of Windermere subdivision is fantastic. There is community pool and amenities to play tennis, play basketball and a field to play soccer.
4. Someone told us that Windermere has a playground area, but we didn't see it. Does Windermere have a playground area?
Again try Lakes of Windermere or if you prefer condos check Lakeside condominiums. They also have a community pool and amenities.
5. Does the rec center do gymnastics? Or any recommendations for gymnastics. For Gym Celebration is about 20 minutes from here. Celebration hospital has 4 floors for gymnastics. YMCA is about 20 minutes away, Ballys about 10 minutes away
6. How are the following schools:
We have Windermere elementary, another elemetary school on 535 and overstreet. Lakeview Middle school and West Orange High. Windermere Prep, Foundation.
7. Hospitals: Health Central, Dr Phillips, Celebration

Old 03-15-2011, 02:22 PM

793 posts, read 2,529,961 times
How 'bout Summerport, large community pool and play areas throughout.

Hope this helps,

Old 03-15-2011, 03:19 PM

385 posts, read 1,406,213 times
You can get flood zone maps (and a lot more) from the Orange County government's GIS web site:

Infomap (http://www.orangecountyfl.net/ServicesOnline/InfoMapGIS.aspx - broken link)

-Harry

Old 03-17-2011, 07:57 AM

1,065 posts, read 4,154,094 times
Ditto on never hearing of major (or even minor) flooding in Windermere/Winter Garden. However the best source to get an idea if any particular home is in a flood zone is to check out Floodsmart.gov: Your premier resource for flood insurance information and put in the address. It will give you a rating of the risk of flood.

Lot's og great homes in the Windermere/Winter Garden area that range from the low 100's up to several million depending on where you want to be.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:30 AM

1,294 posts, read 3,263,032 times
Only time I ever worried about flooding was during the hurricane season of 2004. That was a ton of rain. And even then it still didn't flood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando