Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 10:25 AM

4 posts, read 44,099 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me about the Live Oak Reserve or The Sanctuary subdivisions in Oviedo? I know they are both very large, have numerous amenities, and high HOA fees. Would appreciate feedback from someone who actually lives there or knows someone who lives there. Also open to feedback regarding Kingsbridge West and Brighton Park (Carillon) in Oviedo, or Tuskawilla in Winter Springs.We are looking at homes in all of them. Also LOVE Huntington Landing in Lake Mary, but there are no 4-5 BR homes away from major roadways and power lines for sale there right now. Many thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2007, 01:23 PM

16 posts, read 133,405 times
Sanctuary is made up of two parts, one containing smaller cookie-cutter homes with tiny lots. The other half contains the larger homes and the lots tend to be larger. Live Oak, overall, is a nicer neighborhood. The Sanctuary contains more families with small children, there is a daycare and a middle school separating the two phases. I grew up in Kingsbridge West, on Lullwater. The homes are very well built, and the properties have over tripled in value since we built in 94. It is located on Mitchell Hammock, which is both a blessing and a curse. The traffic is pretty bad during the busier parts of the day. Live Oak and Sanctuary are situated along 419, and the grocery stores/restaurants are a bit newer and more abundant than the Kingsbridge area. Carillon is nice, but in my opinion, overdeveloped. The park is the only break in housing that there is anymore, Lockwood is house house house. You will also have to deal with the UCF/SCC traffic along McCulloch and Lockwood. When the new stadium opens, I am sure this is going to become even worse than it already is. SCC students FLY down Lockwood. The PD is doing their best to stop this, but I have encountered several close calls while the kids fly by at 60 mph.

Tuscawilla is a nice area, overall a bit older. If you venture to the 434/Tuscawilla area and down 434 towards Central Winds Park, you will find a few newer developments like Parkstone. The Winter Springs Town Center has a Publix, Subway, and Winter Springs High School. Nothing too fancy, but it is nice. Glen Eagle is a great neighborhood along Winter Springs Blvd, I have close friends who live there.

Lake Mary is becoming more crowded than it used to be. My husband and I used to live off of Rinehart Road, but the traffic and construction became too much of a nuisance. The condo developments and conversions are really bringing in a new crowd. Heathrow has plenty of nice neighborhoods with large homes, you may want to look there as well.

If you are set on Oviedo, you may also want to look into Huntington and Chapman Oaks. Out of the neighborhoods you have listed, Live Oak would be my recommendation. My parents live there now and love it. Hagerty and Oviedo are both really good high schools, and Lawton Chiles MS, Stenstrom Elem., Partin Elem., all great schools. Oviedo is the best in Seminole County, in my opinion.

Old 07-18-2007, 04:00 PM

4 posts, read 44,099 times
Moving from out-of-state is very difficult, so all the information you have provided is invaluable and deeply appreciated. MANY, MANY THANKS!

Old 07-18-2007, 04:32 PM

24 posts, read 147,892 times
Nice writeup Ellis1014, I live in The Sancutuary so if you have any questions ask here or email. Live Oak or the Santuary are both nice so either choice you cant go wrong. Where are you moving from?

Old 07-18-2007, 06:02 PM

307 posts, read 2,106,951 times
The Sancutuary is a wonderful community!!!!!

Old 12-12-2007, 07:12 AM

1 posts, read 17,509 times
We are relocating from South Africa to Florida in January (myself, husband and 7 year old daughter). We decided on living in Oviedo. Any suggestions on where to stay? We want to live in a free standing house but within a community with facilities pool, tennis court, playground. Which elementary school is better?

Old 06-01-2008, 07:30 AM

7 posts, read 90,894 times
Default considering florida from Colorado

Hi, your post was really helpful, thanks! I'm wondering, if you live in Winter Springs or Oviedo, does it feel like you are living in Orlando or do these towns have their own personality and city center? We currently live in Fort Collins, CO which has a fantastic old town and is extremely friendly., Of course, it is quite a long drive to the ocean! My husband may be getting a job just northeast of Orlando. Any recommendations? Thanks so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellis1014 View Post
Sanctuary is made up of two parts, one containing smaller cookie-cutter homes with tiny lots. The other half contains the larger homes and the lots tend to be larger. Live Oak, overall, is a nicer neighborhood. The Sanctuary contains more families with small children, there is a daycare and a middle school separating the two phases. I grew up in Kingsbridge West, on Lullwater. The homes are very well built, and the properties have over tripled in value since we built in 94. It is located on Mitchell Hammock, which is both a blessing and a curse. The traffic is pretty bad during the busier parts of the day. Live Oak and Sanctuary are situated along 419, and the grocery stores/restaurants are a bit newer and more abundant than the Kingsbridge area. Carillon is nice, but in my opinion, overdeveloped. The park is the only break in housing that there is anymore, Lockwood is house house house. You will also have to deal with the UCF/SCC traffic along McCulloch and Lockwood. When the new stadium opens, I am sure this is going to become even worse than it already is. SCC students FLY down Lockwood. The PD is doing their best to stop this, but I have encountered several close calls while the kids fly by at 60 mph.

Tuscawilla is a nice area, overall a bit older. If you venture to the 434/Tuscawilla area and down 434 towards Central Winds Park, you will find a few newer developments like Parkstone. The Winter Springs Town Center has a Publix, Subway, and Winter Springs High School. Nothing too fancy, but it is nice. Glen Eagle is a great neighborhood along Winter Springs Blvd, I have close friends who live there.

Lake Mary is becoming more crowded than it used to be. My husband and I used to live off of Rinehart Road, but the traffic and construction became too much of a nuisance. The condo developments and conversions are really bringing in a new crowd. Heathrow has plenty of nice neighborhoods with large homes, you may want to look there as well.

If you are set on Oviedo, you may also want to look into Huntington and Chapman Oaks. Out of the neighborhoods you have listed, Live Oak would be my recommendation. My parents live there now and love it. Hagerty and Oviedo are both really good high schools, and Lawton Chiles MS, Stenstrom Elem., Partin Elem., all great schools. Oviedo is the best in Seminole County, in my opinion.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:35 PM

28 posts, read 154,971 times
Well, we've just been here a few weeks and I don't think Winter Springs, Oviedo, Heathrow/Lake Mary feel at all like you're living in Orlando. I also feel each area has it's own distinct character. We're currently living in Heathrow and I have to tell you I'm pouting a bit. We love the Heathrow area and we've come to the conclusion we would like a house in Heathrow. However, we've registered our son for school in Oviedo - not the easiest commute - 20 minutes on 417 would be the fastest with a cost of $8 in tolls a day.

We honestly don't care for Oviedo - it's just the feel and personal preference - nice area and I wouldn't hestitate to tell you to look at it - we simply don't care for it and we really hate the drive out Mitchell Hammock and the jog up Lockwood onto Chuoloata (I'm sure I mangled that) to hit Live Oak or Sanctuary. We also are concerned about the university traffic as well as dealing with multiple students in housing. Nothing against college kids - I was one myself. I'm not at that stage in my life though and I simply don't want to deal with it. Many areas state no renting to multiple families/renters, but people do it. Just get on craigslist and look at the homes in the Oviedo area for rent saying students welcome.

IF you're serious about Oviedo then I too would recommend Chapman - we liked that vastly better - older homes, but if they've been updated they should be fine - benefit of larger lots if that's important. Aloma Woods is also nice - preference there for Estates at AW. A nice point for AW is that it's a pretty easy commute into O and there's a light at the exit - a bonus during rush hour. There are several communities in the one gated section with Bear Stone and then of course the Estates at Aloma section (which is by itself) is also gated. There are a number of other gated communities around Tuscawilla/Red Bug. Heck they're all over the place! LOL

We like the Tuscawilla area of WS - also Eagle Point - off Red Bug/Tuscawilla. There are several nice communities at Tuscawilla CC - our personal favorite is Glen Eagle. The homes run the gamut so you just need to go through them and see what you like. Some areas aren't well maintained - apparently no HOAs. Other areas, like Glen Eagle, are wonderfully maintained and have great charm. For us the Tuscawilla area just feels better than Oviedo and we like the shopping.

Depending on your area for work etc you might want to check out the Lake Mary Heathrow area. Heathrow itself is fantastic - the trees, nice wide roads, birds galore, guard gated community, all the ammenities... It's expensive, but it's a special place - entirely different than anything else we've seen and again the individual neighborhoods within Heathrow run the gamut.

Moving from a distance is tough. My rec would be to just get a short-term rental and take your time acclimating. That's what we've done and we don't regret it. It also depends what you're looking to spend on a house. Most of the areas I'm mentioning will run you 400-600K on average. There are also HOAs to consider which vary greatly. Good luck!

Old 06-14-2010, 02:17 PM

24 posts, read 76,365 times
Chiming in on the Chpman comments...I live in this area and love it! We live in Champan Groves (just past Oaks but with larger lots and IMO better maintained homes) and it is great! Family friendly neighborhood across the street from the elementary school (only street they have to cross is aided by a crossing guard), and the road dead ends just past the neighborhood = no thru traffic. There are horse farms just outside the neighborhood - nice for walking, riding bikes, etc and we are still close to everything.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:10 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,712,996 times
I live in Sanctuary, been here a year, and we love it! We are far enough out that the college kids are rarely seen. Our HOA would never tolerate those types of rentals either. (I am sure Live Oak does not either).

It really does depend on your personal preference...I like it here...I prefer the layout here to that of Live Oak, altho there are things over there that I do like. You really can't go wrong with any of the recommendations here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando