Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 12:14 AM

20 posts, read 36,631 times

Advertisements

I am curious about the lakes and boating in or near Orlando. My husband and I are moving to Orlando in August from Colorado. My family and I are from Florida, however, I haven't lived there since I was a kid. When I did live there we were very into boating and would go to the lakes and ski/wakboard/go tubing. In Colorado of course there are no gators or anything else really to worry about getting eaten by.
Do many people have boats and take them out on the lakes around Orlando? If so which lakes are good? Is it fairly safe to wakeboard or do other water sports? How concerned do you have to be about gators?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2010, 07:59 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,025,051 times
There's no set answer, it depends on the lake. Some are infested with alligators, others might have a stray gator or two but are overall safe.

You also have to worry about bacteria levels in warmer months.

Old 12-12-2010, 10:17 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,335,507 times
Boating is wildly popular here due to our distance from the coast. Some of the larger lakes are Butler chain of lakes, Lake Dora, Lake Brantley, Bear Lake, Lake Conway.

Old 09-16-2014, 01:22 PM

706 posts, read 1,308,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
Boating is wildly popular here due to our distance from the coast. Some of the larger lakes are Butler chain of lakes, Lake Dora, Lake Brantley, Bear Lake, Lake Conway.

Are there gators in Conway? Butler chain??

Old 09-16-2014, 01:26 PM

995 posts, read 1,694,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dshawg1 View Post
Yes and Yes. Shouldn't necessarily deter you; just be aware.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:16 PM

17,146 posts, read 15,350,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dshawg1 View Post
Gators live in practically every natural body of water here.
I do lots of Jet-Skiing on Lake Dora/Harris/Eustis, and to say they are infested with gators wouldn't be far from the truth.
Are they aggressive? No, but I would avoid falling in the water.

Old 09-18-2014, 06:34 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,168,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo112 View Post
I am curious about the lakes and boating in or near Orlando. My husband and I are moving to Orlando in August from Colorado. My family and I are from Florida, however, I haven't lived there since I was a kid. When I did live there we were very into boating and would go to the lakes and ski/wakboard/go tubing. In Colorado of course there are no gators or anything else really to worry about getting eaten by.
Do many people have boats and take them out on the lakes around Orlando? If so which lakes are good? Is it fairly safe to wakeboard or do other water sports? How concerned do you have to be about gators?
Usually, the noise of the motors and people keep the gators away. You also want to stay away from shorelines where the gator nests are and they become protective.
Skiing/wake boarding here gets iffy here because of the ameba that lives on the bottom of lakes and becomes more active once the temps get into the 90s which means May-October most years.
You just have to be more aware of whats in the water here, but it doesn't mean give up on the boat.

Old 09-18-2014, 08:44 AM

Gators in Florida is just like sharks in any coastal region, bears and moose up north, coyotes out west, etc etc. They are there, respect them, but more often than not they will likely just avoid you.

Old 09-18-2014, 09:35 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,168,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
Gators in Florida is just like sharks in any coastal region, bears and moose up north, coyotes out west, etc etc. They are there, respect them, but more often than not they will likely just avoid you.
Yep, saw a gator and a coyote this week. We have coyote here in Florida now, but actually saw a big coyote coming out of a cornfield in Illinois. Beautiful creature.

Old 09-18-2014, 01:44 PM

I honestly think bears and moose are more dangerous to people. They are much smarter than gators and lose their fear very easily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando