Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 04:12 PM

1 posts, read 2,789 times

Advertisements

Hi!
I am visiting Orlando in May with my family (including a young niece, hence the Orlando part). Anyways, my boyfriend and I are 26 years old, and are looking to drive somewhere within 1-3 hours from Orlando to get away by ourselves for a few days. We are looking for some place that isn't too crowded, but can provide a lazy beach for the day time, and possibly some upbeat fun for the night time.

Any suggestions would be very helpful,
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2010, 07:13 PM

12,638 posts, read 32,137,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie12345 View Post
Hi!
I am visiting Orlando in May with my family (including a young niece, hence the Orlando part). Anyways, my boyfriend and I are 26 years old, and are looking to drive somewhere within 1-3 hours from Orlando to get away by ourselves for a few days. We are looking for some place that isn't too crowded, but can provide a lazy beach for the day time, and possibly some upbeat fun for the night time.

Any suggestions would be very helpful,
Thanks!
Definately check out New Smyrna beach. It's a quiet beach, but has nightlife on Flagler Avenue. (Flagler Tavern, Traders and more) There are a few other beach restaurants that are cool too. ( Down the hatch, Inlet Harbor, lighthouse, and Chases) Breakers is right on the beach and has the best burgers around. For a fancier place try the Grille at Riverview. You can drive on the beach too.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:36 PM

288 posts, read 735,300 times
I agree with New Smyrna. And there is always Daytona. Cocoa Beach is about an hour away, but you don't need to go that far. Where ever you decide to go, please stay close to the lifeguard stands. Rip currents can sneak up on you (and so can marine life).

Old 11-23-2010, 09:46 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,214,953 times
New Smyrna... Ehhhhh ..
I personally am not a fan of the East Coast Beaches. There are ALWAYS issues in the water, but

Check Out Ormond Beach Ormond Beach Chamber of Commerce In Volusia County and it is NOT crowded and extremely PEACEFUl.

Then Check Out ANY of the beaches in Pinellas County. Clearwater Beach is crowded in the Summertime. I'd suggest Sand Key Park http://www.pinellascounty.org/park/15_sand_key.htmor (broken link) Ft. Desoto The Official Fort DeSoto Park Home Page

Old 11-24-2010, 07:54 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,063,815 times
If you want a true Florida beach experience and you don't mind driving 2 hours, don't bother with the east coast. Us locals go over there a lot since it is just faster and easier, however they pale...PALE in comparison to the west coast beaches. If you are coming here on vacation, forget east coast. There are shark bites a few times per year, every year at New Smyrna...it is the shark bite capital of the United States.

Now, if you want beautiful, warm water and huge, fine white sandy beaches...the west coast is where it is at. I agree with IAm_FloridaBorn's suggestions, and would also add Siesta Key beach in Sarasota which has been voted the best beach in the United States a couple years ago.

Old 11-24-2010, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
If you want a true Florida beach experience and you don't mind driving 2 hours, don't bother with the east coast. Us locals go over there a lot since it is just faster and easier, however they pale...PALE in comparison to the west coast beaches. If you are coming here on vacation, forget east coast. There are shark bites a few times per year, every year at New Smyrna...it is the shark bite capital of the United States.

Now, if you want beautiful, warm water and huge, fine white sandy beaches...the west coast is where it is at. I agree with IAm_FloridaBorn's suggestions, and would also add Siesta Key beach in Sarasota which has been voted the best beach in the United States a couple years ago.
We go to New Smyrna all the time and have never seen sharks. I know it has been mentioned, but there are sharks in the ocean everywhere.

I know the OP said around 1 hour, but if they are willing to take the 2 hour trip to the west coast, it is beautiful there. The water is clear and blue.

Either choice would be fine.

BTW, I've never been to Siesta Key and would like to go. What type of entertainment do they have there? Do they have some type of shopping district where ppl walk up and down the street and browse the shops or get a bite to eat? Is it quiet there or is there adequate stuff to do? Is it reasonable to stay there? This may help the OP too.

Old 11-24-2010, 09:09 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,063,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
We go to New Smyrna all the time and have never seen sharks. I know it has been mentioned, but there are sharks in the ocean everywhere.

I know the OP said around 1 hour, but if they are willing to take the 2 hour trip to the west coast, it is beautiful there. The water is clear and blue.

Either choice would be fine.

BTW, I've never been to Siesta Key and would like to go. What type of entertainment do they have there? Do they have some type of shopping district where ppl walk up and down the street and browse the shops or get a bite to eat? Is it quiet there or is there adequate stuff to do? Is it reasonable to stay there? This may help the OP too.
I just want to point out this map so you can see how many shark attacks there are in New Smyrna (Volusia County on this map for the people that don't know - this also includes Daytona Beach) compared to other areas of Florida. Even Brevard County is far safer. Now compare any of the Central Florida east coast beaches to the west coast beaches in Pinellas, Manatee, and Sarasota. Sure, there are sharks in the ocean everywhere, but can you really argue with these numbers? This is a long time span, but I also want to point out that there was an increase in shark attacks in that area over the last few years...19 attacks in the year 2008 alone.

Map of Florida's Confirmed Unprovoked Shark Attacks

As for Siesta Key...it seemed pretty quiet. I saw a few bars and restaurants around, but to be honest we didn't spend much time at night there. I didn't see like a "strip" like many beach areas have. My buddy has a place over there and he is not into going out as much as we are so we didn't explore much. I do know that downtown Sarasota apparently has shopping and nightlife, but again we didn't get to see much of it last time.

Last edited by Pete C; 11-24-2010 at 09:18 AM..

Old 11-24-2010, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
I just want to point out this map so you can see how many shark attacks there are in New Smyrna (Volusia County on this map for the people that don't know - this also includes Daytona Beach) compared to other areas of Florida. Even Brevard County is far safer. Now compare any of the Central Florida east coast beaches to the west coast beaches in Pinellas, Manatee, and Sarasota. Sure, there are sharks in the ocean everywhere, but can you really argue with these numbers? This is a long time span, but I also want to point out that there was an increase in shark attacks in that area over the last few years...19 attacks in the year 2008 alone.

Map of Florida's Confirmed Unprovoked Shark Attacks

As for Siesta Key...it seemed pretty quiet. I saw a few bars and restaurants around, but to be honest we didn't spend much time at night there. I didn't see like a "strip" like many beach areas have. My buddy has a place over there and he is not into going out as much as we are so we didn't explore much. I do know that downtown Sarasota apparently has shopping and nightlife, but again we didn't get to see much of it last time.
Thanks for the update! I wish there was something around like Myrtle Beach, SC.

Last edited by beckycat; 11-24-2010 at 09:47 AM..

Old 11-24-2010, 12:02 PM

288 posts, read 735,300 times
The way it was put to me when I went out snorkeling in the Keys... the captain said "just remember, when you enter the ocean you enter the food chain". And we all just nervously giggled. There the marine life is used to people and very well fed so the creatures have no need to test out what looks to be a big meaty morsel.

Living here in Florida, anytime someone gets in the way of a shark or a gator, or gets struck by lightning, it is big news. And we know, it can happen anywhere. I've never seen a shark at New Smyrna either. However, in Sarasota, I was bumped by a shark while out surfing one day (yes sometimes before a tropical storm waves come in that you can ride) and that scared the daylights out of me. I have also stepped on a ray, been stung by a man-o-war, and had a crab latch onto a toe. It happens, just not frequently.

I forgot about Ormond Beach, yes, that is a very nice beach in a nice area.
What is it, about a 3 hour drive to Siesta Key? I think Siesta Beach is one of the most beautiful beaches in Florida and it used to be laid back. The sand there is so white, with the consistency of powdered sugar, and it is always cool on the feet.

I just looked at that map, wow! It's good that it shows where Florida is in relation to the other 48 states, lol.. I wonder why there are zero incidents around Cedar Key??

>I wish there was something around like Myrtle Beach, SC.

There isn't? Last time I was there it was pretty nice..

Old 11-24-2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyzza View Post
The way it was put to me when I went out snorkeling in the Keys... the captain said "just remember, when you enter the ocean you enter the food chain". And we all just nervously giggled. There the marine life is used to people and very well fed so the creatures have no need to test out what looks to be a big meaty morsel.

Living here in Florida, anytime someone gets in the way of a shark or a gator, or gets struck by lightning, it is big news. And we know, it can happen anywhere. I've never seen a shark at New Smyrna either. However, in Sarasota, I was bumped by a shark while out surfing one day (yes sometimes before a tropical storm waves come in that you can ride) and that scared the daylights out of me. I have also stepped on a ray, been stung by a man-o-war, and had a crab latch onto a toe. It happens, just not frequently.

I forgot about Ormond Beach, yes, that is a very nice beach in a nice area.
What is it, about a 3 hour drive to Siesta Key? I think Siesta Beach is one of the most beautiful beaches in Florida and it used to be laid back. The sand there is so white, with the consistency of powdered sugar, and it is always cool on the feet.

I just looked at that map, wow! It's good that it shows where Florida is in relation to the other 48 states, lol.. I wonder why there are zero incidents around Cedar Key??

>I wish there was something around like Myrtle Beach, SC.

There isn't? Last time I was there it was pretty nice..
I think the closest thing is Daytona, but sure no match. It's way smaller. I thought, FL being a tourist state, they would definately have something similar to MB. I think it would be an awesome idea with the weather being nice year round. I love the beach, so it would be great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando