Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2010, 03:35 PM

5 posts, read 18,509 times

Advertisements

I have been searching for a job for 2 months now and have gone on several interviews only to find out that they either are a.) commission only or b.) they want me as an independent contractor. Now, I have more than 4 yrs experience in call centers doing inside & outside sales, appointment setting, marketing & telemarketing.
Well after all the frustration, I have accepted a job with Disney as a reservation sales agent. The pay is 9.87/hr + incentives (plus great benefits after 90 days) & I am to start training in 2 weeks.
After accepting the job I received a phone call from a known Auto Repair Company. I have an interview scheduled for tomorrow. Per the advertisement, the pay is 10/hr + bonus and it is an entry level position for customer service/sales. Now I know I haven't gone on the interview yet, and they havn't offered me the job yet so I don't want to jump the gun. But every interview I've gone on, they've offered me the job.
My question: Is Disney the better option here? Even though it's less pay (same hours)? I've been racking my brain the past 2 months, and it is now time to start a job and stick with it! Any advice would be LOVELY!!
Thank you in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 04:22 PM

1,000 posts, read 3,368,613 times
Do you know what the hours are for each job (night shift versus day/weekdays or weekends off, etc. - if that's important to you). I can't offer any advice as I'm not in the area yet. I'd love to work at the Disney resv. center if they could meet my wants/needs of working during the day and having weekends off but I'm sure that's a pipe dream...

Old 07-20-2010, 06:40 PM

78 posts, read 165,171 times
You get a lot of perks working for Disney. Discounts as a Cast Member (20% under 3 years, 35% over 3 years), Park passes (12 per year, you can get 3 people in each time) plus 4 park hopper passes you can give to anyone. I just booked two hotel rooms for friends and got them 50% off. Half price cruises, and anywhere you go in town, you can ask if they give Cast Member discounts. A lot of places do. So even if you make a little less, the perks are so good, they make up or surpass the difference IMHO. As far as layoffs, we had some a year and a half ago but I haven't heard of any lately or the near future but if the economy goes further south, you never know. Hope that helps.

Oh yeah... My cell phone provider is AT&T and I get a discount with them through Disney (I think it's around 18%). I also bought a MAC computer using a Disney discount plus my Microsoft Office Program on my personal laptop was really cheap and I can use it as long as I work there. Lot and lots of other discounts.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:39 PM

5 posts, read 18,509 times
Ok, so I went to the interview and was offered the job. This is the details. He is looking for someone to market for him & maybe one day have a call center. They don't offer benefits though. Hours are 7:30am-6pm mon-fri. and 9am-2pm on sat's. Now with disney, the hours are friday through tues: 2:45pm-11:15pm. wed & thurs off.
I'm afraid I won't have any flexibility with disney. Although I am a hardworker, I was thrown off when my interviewer told me that it's mandatory for me to work every holiday, weekend, and overtime. I have season passes to the miami dolphins. Will I be able to request days off? My brother has a trip planned to visit for 5 days in October. Will I be able to take those days off?
I feel with the Auto Place I will have this kind of flexibility, but wont have the benefits. Both are so important to me.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:07 PM

200 posts, read 540,772 times
I don't know if it applies to these jobs, but generally, there's pto - paid time off - you likely won't get any for at least the first 90 days you start working. Afterwards, you may slowly 'earn' pto days. In other situations, it's up to the manager/supervisor/HR.

I think I'd go for Disney, but if you don't like these hours/holiday work, then try the other job. Good luck.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:39 PM

6 posts, read 22,621 times
I'll be honest with you, and it's been a few years.. but I used to work for Disney. It's fun, the perks are great and if you're smart enough to use it as a step ladder you can attempt to move up in the company.. HOWEVER, you are just a number. That's it. The auto place sounds like you would be a PERSON. It may not be as important to you as it is to me after being in both jobs, meaning.. as a number and in a job where I was Ashley. That's my .02. Disney is a fine company to work for, and they take care of what they need to take care.. but you are one of many, many thousand.. and sometimes that makes it more of a task to ask off. Replaceable.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:49 PM

26 posts, read 119,604 times
For me it would be an easy question. I need health insurance so I would pick the job that offers it.

Do you need health insurance? If so, Disney is your answer. If not choose either one.

Also, I don't know how big the auto place is, but will you be the only one working during the day? If so, getting time off would be much harder. At least with Disney there are a bunch of people that do the same job so switching might not be so hard.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:26 AM

3,990 posts, read 8,277,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyBailey View Post
For me it would be an easy question. I need health insurance so I would pick the job that offers it.

Do you need health insurance? If so, Disney is your answer. If not choose either one.

Also, I don't know how big the auto place is, but will you be the only one working during the day? If so, getting time off would be much harder. At least with Disney there are a bunch of people that do the same job so switching might not be so hard.
I would consider the benefits as pay because health insurance makes it a better paying job than the other one which leaves you paying individual health insurance which runs $500 for minimal insurance. Also will the franchise for the auto repair still be in business 6 months to a year from now? You know Disney will; but franchises close all the time if management doesn't run it well or profit is not made for the corporation at that site.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:38 PM

26 posts, read 119,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
I would consider the benefits as pay because health insurance makes it a better paying job than the other one which leaves you paying individual health insurance which runs $500 for minimal insurance. Also will the franchise for the auto repair still be in business 6 months to a year from now? You know Disney will; but franchises close all the time if management doesn't run it well or profit is not made for the corporation at that site.
Agreed! I don't know how people go without health insurance for long periods of time! I'm paranoid right now because my current health insurance will expire at the end of the month (the school I worked at in NH) and my new one won't start until school starts (the school I will work at here). Even a few weeks without it scares me to death!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando