Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 07:05 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,758,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz-Bri View Post
Thanks, Fiddlehead.
I am assuming that you live in Ashland yourself?
If so, how far to the nearest metro area?
Well, that depends. Medford is about 80 thousand people, and is 12 miles away. So, you can have a job in either Ashland or Medford with a pretty painless commute. Unfortunately, public transit is slow, so most drive it. However, nearly all the exurban types, who typically arrive with money, move to Ashland, so it has a more "urban" culture. Bistros, wine bars,etc. But as much as they (Ashland's exCalifornian sophisticates) hate to admit it, Medford has eclipsing Ashland as the economic center of S. Oregon. Culturally, Ashland still has the edge, for now. But Medford is a transforming logging and farming town, so might not seem like a "metro area" to someone from a more populous state. Like its northern California "sister city," Medford is a reluctant metropolis (people would rather hunt, fish, hike than pay for museums and light rail). If by metro, you mean urban core, shopping districts, advance public transit, etc. The only town that would really qualify in Oregon is Portland. But Medford does have the "Rogue Valley International Airport" woo hoo! It is a great piece of the Earth, but the big sticking point is jobs, our economy is in the tank, with unemployment rate at over 12%, I believe, so caveat emptor!

As for being a kid. It is really hard to beat Ashland, Medford, or much of Oregon, for that matter. We have all kinds of activities, children's museum,hiking out the wazoo, fishing, swimming, river rafting,even a community-owned ski resort, Mount Ashland. However, state budget problems have really affected the schools at all levels. For instance, my son's kindergarten is only open four days a week for three and a half hours. A real shame. In Ashland, we seem to pass school bonds all the time and have our own school foundation, so people do what they can, but the state budget problems are a pain. I should add we also have a Waldorf School in Ashland. This really chafes me, because with the invasion of retiring boomers and the inability of families to purchase homes in Ashland, our public school enrollment plummeted. Now two of our five schools have closed. And the rich people who move in from California often choose to either put their kids in the private Waldorf School or home school. Jeez....

Last edited by Fiddlehead; 04-07-2010 at 07:18 AM.. Reason: Forgot about the kids!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 09:34 AM

38 posts, read 144,141 times
Thanks for the great info, Fiddlehead - particularly about the schools. Even with the budget issues, are you happy with the public school's quality of education?
You have me a bit concerned with Ashland's cultural scene. It sounds as if everyone is from somewhere esle; which isn't necessarily a problem for us as we will be in the same boat. However, we are hoping to find a town with historical roots and locals who are proud of its history, if you know what I mean. Does that exist in Ashland? Also, with all the transplants, do people readily move on also? We are looking for a place where folks wish to build a community for the long term.
Thanks again for your willingness to supply info on the area. We truly appreciate it!

Old 04-07-2010, 11:15 AM

Oh, that mysterious N. California "sister city" is Redding, Ca.! Sorry about that.

Old 04-07-2010, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz-Bri View Post
Thanks for the great info, Fiddlehead - particularly about the schools. Even with the budget issues, are you happy with the public school's quality of education?
You have me a bit concerned with Ashland's cultural scene. It sounds as if everyone is from somewhere esle; which isn't necessarily a problem for us as we will be in the same boat. However, we are hoping to find a town with historical roots and locals who are proud of its history, if you know what I mean. Does that exist in Ashland? Also, with all the transplants, do people readily move on also? We are looking for a place where folks wish to build a community for the long term.
Thanks again for your willingness to supply info on the area. We truly appreciate it!
Good questions.

Generally, the Ashland schools are good. And just as importantly, the parents are involved in the classroom and out. It is an intellectual community, so education is valued.

Yes, there are transplants, and relatively few in Ashland were born in the area or even in Oregon. So it is a bit of a bubble in the region. And a good number move on fairly soon (2-3 years). However, many stay and become actively engaged in the community. It reminds me more of a New England town than a western town, for some reason. Scenic, compact, and people are smart and active. A bit too much of the foo foo, hot stone massage, yoga, vegan, fen shui, upscale real estate hype for me at times, and getting a bit gray with all the retirees and dearth of young families, but if you don't mind that, it is a good community overall, and kids do well here.

Because of the foo foo factor in Ashland, you get much more house for your money in Medford. The better schools are comparable, and parts (East Side) are also quite nice to live in. The trade off is weather (hotter summers, colder, foggier winters in Medford), and perhaps a less wealthy and supportive culture for education if state funding fall short. Medfordites, correct me if I am off-base.

Old 04-07-2010, 02:29 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,110,214 times
What about Jacksonville as a small community for the OP? I only saw a bit of Jacksonville. There did seem to be some housing which might be reasonable in cost. I did not really pay much attention. I was too busy looking at the bizarre housing on Nunan Street.

Old 04-07-2010, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
What about Jacksonville as a small community for the OP? I only saw a bit of Jacksonville. There did seem to be some housing which might be reasonable in cost. I did not really pay much attention. I was too busy looking at the bizarre housing on Nunan Street.

Yea, Jacksonville is nice, but I don't know anything about the schools there. Seems like it is even more of a retirement town than Ashland, or Medford, but I could be wrong. Jacksonville was the most bubbled city in SW Oregon a few years back, but perhaps it has reentered the sanity zone. Not sure.

I know Griffin Creek School in SW Medford pretty well regarded.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:33 PM

639 posts, read 1,598,858 times
I like this site because you can compare the schools performance and how well the kids/parents like it:
Ashland Public Schools

Old 04-07-2010, 09:01 PM

5 posts, read 15,248 times
Just thought I would mention Brownsville. It's halfway between Eugene and Albany/Corvallis, so it's close to the major colleges. It's very historic and quaint. The movie Stand By Me was filmed there. I grew up around there, so I am rather fond of the area.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:38 PM

Thank you!
We have done some research on Jacksonville.
If I may ask, what does OP stand for?

Old 04-07-2010, 09:41 PM

What does "bubbled" mean / imply?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon