Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 07:33 PM

24 posts, read 127,407 times

Advertisements

I have a job opportunity in Brookings and we are seriously considering moving from Portland for the better weather, living at the beach, and smaller community.

My questions are mostly about raising kids there- we have a 2 year old and a 3 month old.

What are the schools like? Are there any private schools?

Are there activities for kids like scouts, a rec center/pool, playgrounds, music lessons, dance, soccer for tots, horseback riding?

Would you recommend raising kids in Brookings- why or why not?

In the winter does it tend to rain hard all day for many days, or are there some sun breaks?

Thank you so much to everyone in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2009, 10:09 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,236,483 times
My honest opinion? I wouldn't, not with Kids. Too isolated. I'd keep them up near the big city stimulation. Just my opinion.

Last edited by seashelly; 09-08-2009 at 10:19 AM..

Old 09-08-2009, 11:23 AM

Do you live in Brookings? Thanks for your thoughts!

Old 09-09-2009, 12:44 AM

1,312 posts, read 6,469,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostinPDX View Post
I have a job opportunity in Brookings and we are seriously considering moving from Portland for the better weather, living at the beach, and smaller community.

My questions are mostly about raising kids there- we have a 2 year old and a 3 month old.

The major focus in Brookings is retirement. Most residents are over 70 and do not support education. Keeping their taxes low is their main concern. The schools in Brookings are much like the schools in Mexico, IMO. Brookings is an economically disadvantaged community and it really shows in the schools and public infrastructure.

Quote:
Are there activities for kids like scouts, a rec center/pool, playgrounds, music lessons, dance, soccer for tots, horseback riding?
No, there really aren't. Retirees don't make use of such things, so we don't have them.

Quote:
No. I think the kids raised here would tell you that themselves. Most leave as soon as they graduate and never look back. A lot of kids here get in trouble as teens because there are so few things for them to do. There are very few people of child-rearing age in Brookings, so the feeling of social isolation and being a fish-out-of-water tends to affect parents as well as kids. One of the sad things is that many kids grow up having no concept of professional careers because the only adult occupation models they see in the local area are cashiers, mill workers, construction workers and fisherman. Here is a link to the state school report cards: AYP and Report Card Download - Oregon Department of Education

Quote:
In the winter does it tend to rain hard all day for many days, or are there some sun breaks?
There is more winter sun on the southern coast than in the Willamette Valley (I've lived over a decade in both places). Much of the rain comes at night here. In fact, I wouldn't necessarily cite "winter" as the main climate worry. What most people complain about is the lack of summer. June, July and August tend to be rather dark, foggy and chilly. Most "summer" days never reach 60F for a high. Mornings and evenings are generally in the high 40's or low 50's...add in 90% humidity and it feels like you're living inside your refrigerator. Sept. and Oct. are the warmest months of the year. In general, seasons mean very little. When there's an off-shore flow the weather is usually good; when there's an on-shore flow, the weather is overcast and chilly. Breezy conditions are the norm on most days.

Old 09-11-2009, 10:36 AM

4 posts, read 15,312 times
Default Brookings is a great community

I have lived in the Brookings area for nearly 20 years..it I am a single parent and raised my children going to school there...the teachers and the community work well together...there is low incidence to drugs..however like every town there is the problem...the schools and the teachers are all fantastic..and the town offers many things to do...there are many free events that occur throughout the year..and the best time is christmas where the Azela park lights up with christmas lights of sea animals and other themes...
Brookings is also referred to as the banana belt and so is usually warmer with more sun then the rest of the coast...the cost of living is reasonable the shopping is not as good, but at least you can buy shoes and clothing as well as groceries...but there are no malls ...Brookings is an artsy type of town and has really changed over the years...and continues to change ....

overall, it is a great place to live, raise a family and retire....they have a state of the art library, great roads, places to eat events....and the town is quaint and cares about one another and your children...the job scene is a different story.....as throughout oregon...oregon reports 13% unemployment but does not include the people who have been on unemployment for the last six months which is another 9%...everybody is hurting for work, but we are all in it together so it doesnt feel so bad....big employment is the Pelican Bay State Prison in Crescent City which is 20 miles away...

Quote:

Thank you so much to everyone in advance!

Old 10-05-2009, 11:32 PM

Thank you so much for the great information! I really appreciate your viewpoints. We will be visiting soon...

Old 10-06-2009, 10:30 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,820,931 times
I would have to agree with Steve, for once. I am SO GLAD that I personally was not raised on the coast, as much as I love it there. It really is very isolated and retiree-focused, besides being incredibly small to begin with. Not a good combination for kids. Sure, it's doable as there ARE schools out there, but I would not recommend it.

Also, if you're moving to Brookings to get better weather than Portland then think again. Portland's weather is MUCH better than Brookings' or anywhere else on the coast.

To each his or her own, but I would rather raise my kids where they are exposed to more than just a few caucasian, Republican, Christian senior citizens their whole childhood. Diversity is a great thing to be raised around and something I wish I'd been more exposed to as a child and a teenager.

I don't know where (or if) you lived before Portland, but Brookings is quite the extreme away from it. If you're looking for a small (REALLY small... and homogeneous) community, that's the place. Not to say it's a bad place at all, but for a family with kids... There are better places for sure.

Old 10-13-2009, 05:59 AM

33 posts, read 88,844 times
I moved to Brookings, OR my freshman year of high school from Crescent City, CA ( and previously southern california). My father worked at Pelican Bay. ( I have moved away east since)

I must say that I really didn't like going to school there. Some teachers were excellent, others really just don't care. It was very small and I remember wishing I could be somewhere better. Drugs were constantly in my face from my peers, though, it might just be like that everywhere.

The town is indeed a retirement town. I never felt there was much to do for a kid. Never heard of any really cool activities. It is really very beautiful and peaceful, but I agree not the greatest for kids. It was too far from any larger towns ( closest large-ish town is Eureka, CA, 2 hours away). There is a one screen theater, and pretty much only one place to shop ( Fred Meyer, it's nice though), There is one nice park, but that's pretty much it. There is also NO hospital! You have to drive a half hour wither way to get to one. It is way too isolated.

I will say that is is indeed beautiful, and the people were very nice. There are a lot of nature type activities to enjoy.

I mentioned this in another thread, but a similar town to Brookings but one I feel is better is Florence, OR. It is 3 hours north on the coast, a similar size, but not so much a retirement town. It has the same gorgeous scenery as Brookings but with even more. Sand dunes, multiple small lakes, more parks, a GORGEOUS bridge and down-town area. There seemed to be more shopping options. Eugene is a pretty 45 minute drive away. I cannot say about the schools and activities however, as I have not lived there.

Hope you enjoy your visit! Let us know what you think!

Old 10-13-2009, 09:52 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,190,678 times
What I like about Oregon is that people KNOW the situation of small towns! I grew up in Michigan, and in small towns, drugs were everywhere, there wasn't anything else to do.

Cities give kids an immense choice of things to get involved in that are healthy. I love that Oregonians realize that.

It's amazing how many people across the country don't realize that - but then again, most other states have major cities like Detroit, etc.

Old 10-13-2009, 03:35 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,760,768 times
Quote:
Thank you so much for the great information! I really appreciate your viewpoints. We will be visiting soon...
Lost inPDX,

Not sure what job you are getting, but it is worth noting that the South Coast was absolutely the most inflated by the recent real estate bubble in the whole PNW, except perhaps Ashland (where I live), but at least Jackson Co. has a few jobs. So, home prices will likely be inordinately high, you will be able to check that yourself.

A related concern would be the viability of the school system. With all the wealthy retirees moving in, families often have to move out and local student numbers decline. For instance, in Ashland, we have closed 2 out of 5 schools over the last ten years, due to the flight of families from inflated real estate, or more accurately the inability of families to compete with equity-rich retirees. The RE pendulum is coming back the other way, but the schools situation is worth checking closely.

SteveXXXX described the weather well. I think the winters would be better there than Portland to be sure, but the lack of summer could be an issue. It depends upon how "warm blooded" you are. Certainly some beautiful country to see around there though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon