Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 05:40 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,437,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
The only gated area I have ever seen in the area wasn't in Porltand but rather it was in Vancouver. A co-worker lived in a condo there in a gated community but the people there were just regular old middle class. No millionaires. But there was a gate you had to go through before getting into the grounds.

If you go down Burnside around 34th or so you will see an entrance to Laurelhurst where there are very wealthy homes. There are two pillars on either side of the street. There were gates there once upon a time or so people tell me.
There are a couple along Barnes road headed west towards Beaverton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 06:02 PM

758 posts, read 2,371,449 times
The flashy folks tend to be in Lake Ego and in Bend.

Old 02-25-2011, 06:03 PM

758 posts, read 2,371,449 times
Oh yeah I forgot Forest Heights...

Old 10-11-2011, 05:39 PM

1 posts, read 2,995 times
Yes, a lot of wealth in Southern Oregon. It's rated the 10th best place to retire to, esp Ashland. Lots of retired film and music producers. Few flaunt it.

Old 10-12-2011, 06:21 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,452,718 times
Multi million dollar ranches around Bend.

But you would never know they are there, when they come to town they just look like old dirty cowboys or like they just spent the day rafting on the Deschutes.

Old 10-13-2011, 11:04 PM

404 posts, read 1,338,413 times
Usually near the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints temples. There is a temple (assessed value of something like $60 million) right at the city limits of Lake O and Tigard near Landmark Ford on the opposite side of hwy 217 and you can see it from 217.

Not surprisingly there is another one in Central Point, OR near Medford.

Old 10-14-2011, 12:06 PM

122 posts, read 318,241 times
Real money in the Pacific Northwest as a whole is extremely clannish and you can't get in or even provide services to them. They like keeping themselves to themselves and they like keeping this part of the world undeveloped and underpopulated. They are shockingly lacking in civicmindedness. The local elites live in bubbles and feel no responsibility to the people here - the schools can go to hell, the arts can go to hell, they don't care. They cover up their selfishness with ecological justifications. It's gross.

People on this thread seem to think that the unostentatious nature of wealth in Oregon is a good thing. It's not, it means nobody gets any benefit from wealth except the people who own it. No castoffs, no service jobs, no show-off charities. Rich people here suck, a lot.

Now if you mean people with high incomes from their professional careers, that's as been said Lake Oswego, Mormon areas, the nice parts of Portland, and the nice parts of Eugene. But there isn't enough economic development in Oregon to support many of these people. Most people making high incomes in Oregon are ultimately dependent on the state or a university - they're either being directly paid by a branch of government or by a university, or they are providing services to those people. It's a really small pool.

Old 10-14-2011, 12:55 PM

404 posts, read 1,338,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinseattle View Post
Real money in the Pacific Northwest as a whole is extremely clannish and you can't get in or even provide services to them. They like keeping themselves to themselves and they like keeping this part of the world undeveloped and underpopulated.
Typical liberal anti-choice argument concerning one's own money. The group in general argues how they should be able to decide how the government spends rich people's money.

Typical liberals. Open minded, as long you agree with them.

Quote:
They are shockingly lacking in civicmindedness. The local elites live in bubbles and feel no responsibility to the people here - the schools can go to hell, the arts can go to hell, they don't care. They cover up their selfishness with ecological justifications. It's gross.
Blame the poor and illegals who extract more than they pay. Those are the same groups who feel the rich don't contribute enough to feed the cows they milk. The middle class, which suffers the most feel the pain of having to feed those cows. Liberals are less concerned with preventing the cows from getting milked, they just want to see them fed with someone else's money.

Quote:
People on this thread seem to think that the unostentatious nature of wealth in Oregon is a good thing. It's not, it means nobody gets any benefit from wealth except the people who own it. No castoffs, no service jobs, no show-off charities. Rich people here suck, a lot.
Even if its incidental, they benefit the community a ton more than the poor. Their mansion already pays a disproportionate amounts to arts, schools etc through property taxes. When the government gets involved in providing things you seem to be expecting; you realize that these parasites become their children which they're financially responsible for, yet have no control over, right?

On the other hand, look at all the "poor on paper" that takes whatever they can get while giving nothing back to community. These include people who work under the table and evades tax by skimming, people who work under the table while receiving unemployment and such.

Old 10-14-2011, 05:59 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,678,616 times
Apparently some people hate the rich and some people hate the poor. I count both kinds among my friends, and feel my life is richer for knowing each. The wealthy people I know, all Oregon natives, are wealthy because of generations of hard work and sacrifice by their families, plus a measure of good fortune. The poor people I know are mostly poor because they made the wrong choices years ago, when the path to the future was not so clear. Many of the kids I graduated from high school with thought they would get a job in a lumber mill, raise families, and retire after 45 years on a solid union pension. That didn't work out, but you can't blame poor Mexicans for the failure. Some of the wealthy people I know hire Mexicans to pick their crops. They have a standing offer that if an Anglo wants a job, all they have to do is show up. None do.

I know people are unhappy, and many are having a very hard time surviving, but if you can't treat people with respect regardless of their station in life, you would not be welcome in my home. I judge people on their character, not the size of their bankroll.

Old 10-14-2011, 07:09 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,452,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I know people are unhappy, and many are having a very hard time surviving, but if you can't treat people with respect regardless of their station in life, you would not be welcome in my home. I judge people on their character, not the size of their bankroll.
Bravo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinseattle View Post
Real money in the Pacific Northwest as a whole is extremely clannish and you can't get in or even provide services to them. They like keeping themselves to themselves and they like keeping this part of the world undeveloped and underpopulated. They are shockingly lacking in civicmindedness. The local elites live in bubbles and feel no responsibility to the people here - the schools can go to hell, the arts can go to hell, they don't care. They cover up their selfishness with ecological justifications. It's gross.

Now if you mean people with high incomes from their professional careers, that's as been said Lake Oswego, Mormon areas, the nice parts of Portland, and the nice parts of Eugene. But there isn't enough economic development in Oregon to support many of these people. Most people making high incomes in Oregon are ultimately dependent on the state or a university - they're either being directly paid by a branch of government or by a university, or they are providing services to those people. It's a really small pool.

You need to grow up and quit worrying about what other people have.
When it all comes down to it, the world owes you absolutely nothing...
Just because you happen to exist, doesn't mean that everybody with more than you do HAS to take care of YOU or anybody else..
If some people have enough to share, it's up to them if and how they share it.

If you are smart and/or lucky enough to carve out a slice of comfort in this cold cruel world, more power to you.
You have my respect.
But not my envy.

Sorry that's hard to hear, but it's the basic hard plain truth.
That's the way its always been.
Welcome to reality.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 10-14-2011 at 07:24 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon