Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 09:06 PM

4 posts, read 8,579 times

Advertisements

Just visited canon beach, oregon. thought it was awesome and am looking to maybe some day eventually move to oregon somewhere close to coast but not too close to coast as it costs too much to buy a place right on coast. Is there any cities besides portland, salem, eugene, that are closer to coast then those cities, but where there is still a decent amount of people that one can try to buy a meduim sized house that is less expensive then ones right on the coast and that are still close enough to coast that one can make a weekly trip to the coast without spending so much time driving? I realize, I am trying to have my cake and eat it too, but still thought it would not hurt to ask. thanks for any thoughts. gary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 09:47 PM

15,583 posts, read 40,450,935 times
The coastal range is kinda in the way.

From my area there is Dallas Oregon which puts you closer, but then its Sheridan, Willamina and Grande Rhonde along the way. Very small towns. Dallas is a cute smaller town and its close to Salem so everything is right here. That might work.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:01 AM

1,457 posts, read 6,032,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garymerenstein View Post
Just visited canon beach, oregon. thought it was awesome and am looking to maybe some day eventually move to oregon somewhere close to coast but not too close to coast as it costs too much to buy a place right on coast. Is there any cities besides portland, salem, eugene, that are closer to coast then those cities, but where there is still a decent amount of people that one can try to buy a meduim sized house that is less expensive then ones right on the coast and that are still close enough to coast that one can make a weekly trip to the coast without spending so much time driving? I realize, I am trying to have my cake and eat it too, but still thought it would not hurt to ask. thanks for any thoughts. gary
What do you consider a "decent amount" of people?

Is Cave Junction big enough? That's like 50 minutes from the coast. Fairly small town.

Maybe an hour drive will fit your population needs.

Old 05-29-2009, 01:02 AM

2,316 posts, read 7,824,041 times
Coos Bay isn't too expensive is it? You can live in an inland area of the city and be REALLY close to the coast.

Old 05-29-2009, 08:44 AM

716 posts, read 2,818,533 times
Tillamook is what you're looking for. Prices are reasonable and it's only 15 minutes to the coast.

Old 06-12-2009, 10:57 AM

Thanks to everyone for thier responses. Am taking all this under consideration and will try to visit all of the places you mentioned over the next few years with goal of moving to oregon in future. Thanks again. gary

Old 06-12-2009, 11:03 AM

Default coos bay, tilamook

Do you have any thoughts on price of real esate for a house about 1500-2000 square feet in coos bay (out skirts of town) or tilamook? Seems like it is way to expensive to live right on shore and houses I saw there all looked kind of weather beaten, anyway. thanks for any thoughts. gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
The coastal range is kinda in the way.

From my area there is Dallas Oregon which puts you closer, but then its Sheridan, Willamina and Grande Rhonde along the way. Very small towns. Dallas is a cute smaller town and its close to Salem so everything is right here. That might work.

Old 06-12-2009, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garymerenstein View Post
Do you have any thoughts on price of real esate for a house about 1500-2000 square feet in coos bay (out skirts of town) or tilamook? Seems like it is way to expensive to live right on shore and houses I saw there all looked kind of weather beaten, anyway. thanks for any thoughts. gary
I don't have access to the coastal MLS, so I'd just have to look up info on Realtor.com, or Trulia.

Most of the homes on the coast will be weather beaten. They get some storms out there (which are cool to watch from the inside of a house with some warm cocoa...) but we don't have warm beaches here. The beautiful rugged coastline here wasn't created by mild waves. You can always paint more often, but most folks around here seem to prefer a more natural look. Maybe it's an Oregon thing, but the weather beaten homes are kind of part of the charm of these small coastal cities, I think.

Old 06-12-2009, 11:18 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,238,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post

Most of the homes on the coast will be weather beaten. .....You can always paint more often, but most folks around here seem to prefer a more natural look. Maybe it's an Oregon thing, but the weather beaten homes are kind of part of the charm of these small coastal cities, I think.
Oh, LOL, and all along I thought it was because we still don't have a Big Box Hardware Store.

Old 06-12-2009, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seashelly View Post
Oh, LOL, and all along I thought it was because we still don't have a Big Box Hardware Store.
I'll send you some paint from the valley...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon