Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 07:35 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,825,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonbeachlover View Post
I agree with you that "the Oregon coast is one of the world's crown jewels", backdrifter! I really don't understand it when people slam it, and I probably never will. It's just so beautiful, and I love all the beachy towns too. I know there are other people who see it all as I see it, so yeah!
I know! How could anyone slam it? Well, the less people that like it the more we'll get to enjoy it to ourselves! That's a plus!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 03:55 PM

741 posts, read 1,380,509 times
Oh, Tiff, Your car trip post! I feel like I was right there with you and your children. Unfortunately I can imagine the rudeness you encountered. It seems more than sad when someone is so crass and crude. Like Oregonbeachlover though, I was reading through and hoped you were going to mention the state of that license plate.

Yesterday I bought, for the first time, an issue of Oregon Coast magazine (which I did not realize existed until a short time ago), and it included an article about an artist who rescues animals. Totally uplifting!

Well, time to check in on the CB web cam!

Old 09-12-2008, 04:52 PM

47 posts, read 408,993 times
Sounds like people are disappointed in the quality of the towns, not the beautiful coast itself. Maybe they're expecting something like eureka/arcata

Old 09-12-2008, 11:50 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,051,868 times
Thanks Alinka!
nah, I'll just keep it at "An out of state plate" and leave it there.... I will say....they were not anywhere mid-west or eastern.
They were butt-heads! lol
I love the Oregon Coast mags! I keep some on my coffee table....lol
Glad to hear youre likin the webcam! I know they always enjoy hearing that people are checkin it out and enjoying it

Old 09-13-2008, 04:18 AM

2,316 posts, read 7,825,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffela74 View Post
Thanks Alinka!
nah, I'll just keep it at "An out of state plate" and leave it there.... I will say....they were not anywhere mid-west or eastern.
They were butt-heads! lol
I love the Oregon Coast mags! I keep some on my coffee table....lol
Glad to hear youre likin the webcam! I know they always enjoy hearing that people are checkin it out and enjoying it
Californians. I knew it!

Old 09-13-2008, 10:41 AM

15 posts, read 44,572 times
Alot of Oregon Coast towns want to remain small and retirement oriented.Also Oregon's Zoning laws are very anti sprawl.It is almost impossible to change From AG/forest to commercial residental or divide lots not previously done.m,ost oregon cities have the same policies.No Sprawl,Slow controlled growth.

As far as the run down tacky part,you are looking to hard to find problems.

Old 01-13-2009, 01:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,449 times
Default how about the resurrection....

of this thread!? i stumbled across this and wanted to add my own comments. i have been coming out to the west coast for years for vacations,as i really love the scenery/ocean/small towns along the 101,etc. i always thought i would like to retire here,but am not exactly a man of means,just a working joe,so didn't think it was possible. i have changed my life quite a bit this past year to accomodate this dream. i am still living and working in memphis,sold my condo there,moved in with my mom after she had a stroke,and purchased a modest fixer-upper in the harbor area. i only get to visit it a couple times each year,and it is a major shock going from a large urban environment to the small,isolated town,but i really like it. i have found most people i meet to be very friendly,even in disagreement,a quality lacking in a lot of my neighbors here. i really like the coast and the mountains-i have not yet experienced the coastal winter,but it seems like there are enough sunny days to offset the gloomy ones-i can't wait to be able to move permanently. and i do also really appreciate the "unpolished" character of the area. brookings/harbor has some not particularly beautiful scenery in the form of trailer/rv parks,strip malls,etc,but it is just a small price to pay for the stunning surroundings. my only problem is i would like to move,but am having a hard time finding a job that would allow me to......

Old 01-16-2009, 09:14 PM

1,082 posts, read 4,719,675 times
I posted earlier and then sort of dropped off. When I last visited I was not bothered by the "tacky" element as much as the idea that there were many more people who had plopped large houses on the dunes that blocked the view to the west of 101. True there have always been some property owners there but there seemed to be more fences and many more two and three story homes. Tacky, to me, just means not kept up (economics) or perhaps things left there that are no longer being used instead of zoning rules against nuisances (trashy buildings) being enforced.

Old 01-17-2009, 12:38 AM

1,589 posts, read 2,683,526 times
I have lived in Lincoln City since 1975 and I agree with the orginal poster who said that many of the towns along the coast need improved zoning, and stricter landscaping and architectural controls.
The "tacky" strips with heavy traffic are a problem that the coast towns need to address if they are going to thrive as a tourist destination.

Compare the Oregon Coast towns to the towns in Big Sur California, for instance, where they protect the Big Sur coastline with strict zoning and do not permit Big Box development.

We are making strides in the right direction but we have a long way to go. I hope the coastal towns keep a long range vision for its future and don't allow runaway development. That would be a shame.

Old 01-17-2009, 04:16 PM

378 posts, read 1,571,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boodhabunny View Post
I have lived in Lincoln City since 1975 and I agree with the orginal poster who said that many of the towns along the coast need improved zoning, and stricter landscaping and architectural controls.
The "tacky" strips with heavy traffic are a problem that the coast towns need to address if they are going to thrive as a tourist destination.

Compare the Oregon Coast towns to the towns in Big Sur California, for instance, where they protect the Big Sur coastline with strict zoning and do not permit Big Box development.

We are making strides in the right direction but we have a long way to go. I hope the coastal towns keep a long range vision for its future and don't allow runaway development. That would be a shame.

What do you mean by "big box" stores? The tacky strips you are referring to are probaby more of the "mom and pop" places and not the franchises.

All of the government regulations which California has is not helping the state. It's bankrupt now. Personally, I would rather have it the way it is in Oregon and keep the beaches FREE. As far as coastal businesses, I would let economics, and not more government, decide what works and doesn't. Taking a family to Big Sur for the day is expensive, whereas they can afford to come to an Oregon beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon