Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2023, 05:30 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,636,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
I lived in Monterey for a couple years and never knew about the Orcas there (young and dumb).

I was on a large vessel to see the Orcas and they scared the crxpola out of me. I would not do it on a smaller boat. You could here them breathe. They are like very large sharks. They are awesome creatures.

But, the boat trip around the San Juans and the views back at shore the drop dead gorgeous mountain ranges. It's really unbeatable.

I have never been to Sea World. Everyone should see the Orcas out of NW Washington.

The Monterey Bay is also one of my favorite places in the World. I lived in Monterey a couple of years and in the Bay Area for a couple decades.
We lived around Monterey Bay & Carmel Valley for 6 lustrum. It Is AweSome...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2023, 05:58 PM

7,564 posts, read 3,241,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
We lived around Monterey Bay & Carmel Valley for 6 lustrum. It Is AweSome...
You have exquisite taste.

Old 09-11-2023, 07:06 PM

5,458 posts, read 8,178,236 times
Solitude on the edge of the Wallowa Whitman National Forest, the largest in Oregon. Not far from health food stores in Enterprise, and one of the most unique towns in Oregon, Joseph.

https://zerodown.com/search/details/...97846/31614542

https://josephoregon.com

Nearby beautiful lake: https://kuula.co/post/7P0Mh

Old 09-12-2023, 10:07 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,107,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
Solitude on the edge of the Wallowa Whitman National Forest, the largest in Oregon. Not far from health food stores in Enterprise, and one of the most unique towns
I was going to suggest this area, and areas north of Elgin, OR. But, I wondered about the harsher winters for OP's outdoor winter meditation.

Last edited by ejisme; 09-12-2023 at 11:19 AM..

Old 09-12-2023, 01:50 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,710 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejisme View Post
I was going to suggest this area, and areas north of Elgin, OR. But, I wondered about the harsher winters for OP's outdoor winter meditation.
Hibernation is a possibility.

I have friends in Elgin who don't get out much during the winter.

Usually for snowmobilling

Old 09-12-2023, 02:50 PM

8,495 posts, read 8,787,669 times
The "reimagine with AI" button at the realtor site above is a new aid to realtors (and home improvement contractors). Don't like these interior rooms? Re-imagine them with AI (and time & money). Next they can do that with exteriors.

Old 09-13-2023, 07:40 PM

10,557 posts, read 7,755,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
From the people that I know, that have tried "off-the-grid, simplistic living" they unanimously all say this: "It's NOT easy and carefree. And, it's A LOT more expensive than buying a house and living in a city/neighborhood."..
Certainly not easy or care free. A lot LESS expensive in the parts of Alaska and Hawaii I'm familiar with.

Old 09-13-2023, 09:08 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,697,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
From the people that I know, that have tried "off-the-grid, simplistic living" they unanimously all say this: "It's NOT easy and carefree. And, it's A LOT more expensive than buying a house and living in a city/neighborhood."

Now, as far as the legality of living amongst the trees and frogs, that's another cross to bear...

Finding a place (escapism) on this planet that has 9 billion people walking on it is increasingly difficult.
Maybe not too surprising, but a lot of folks move to the PNW and parts of NorCal to get away from the concrete jungles of SoCal or cities like Seattle. Even in parts of CA especially to the north, there is more wide open spaces where one can live outside urban/suburban life. And the degrees to which they do that vary a lot.

Up in the PNW where there are lots of smaller towns outside Seattle and Portland or NorCal outside Eureka where there are forested properties. Some are on acreage, many of which have their own septic and well water. The further out you go, the more secluded it gets. That's not saying they still don't have electricity. But homesteading is also a thing living more off the land even if not totally 'off the grid.'

That said, I don't think anyone has said it's easy. But some really do prefer being outside the rat race and hordes of people especially during retirement. The OP does want to be within an hour of civilization to pick up supplies. Heck, when I lifeguarded in the mountains in SoCal for four summers during college, it was pretty awesome and remote in the Angeles Crest forest. There were no towns or stores nearby. They did have electricity. But it was a good 45+ minutes to get down the mountain for any supplies or modern conveniences. So, folks would buy in bulk and stock up on supplies. While a simple life, it was actually quite enjoyable and beautiful - a great break for the summer crowds at the SoCal beach where I lived. That's also why I returned four year in a row. Some staff lived up there year round during the off season with very few visitors. There are similar camps in the Sierras. One of is right among the giant sequoias in Sequoia National Park which is a really awesome location. I could seriously imagine someone living up there among the trees in small cabin exploring, enjoying nature, doing yoga, meditation or whatever floats their boat. While some would go crazy especially without cellphone coverage, others could really thrive.

Derek

Old 09-13-2023, 09:15 PM

7,564 posts, read 3,241,406 times
Derek,

I fell right on my face in my own back yard a couple of weeks ago. I was okay; but, in December I slipped on my stairs and went flying and broke my kneecap. I mean, not my first rodeo and due to C-19 I opted to not go to the ER. I waited to get a regular appointment with my Ortho surgeon. They gave me a brace and I had to stay off of it. I did not even ask for pain killers. But, somehow psychologically it feels better to be able to get help. Yikes, so entirely painful for so very long. Probably would not have been able to administer physical therapy on myself the first two months. Not even sure what all the soft tissue damage was... I guess I would never be able to live that remote (not really even when younger) because I guess I was too much of a dufuss. I know I saw a movie of this guy that lived alone in a remote area of Alaska for decades. It's amazing that people can do that and live through it.

Old 09-13-2023, 10:51 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,697,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Derek,

I fell right on my face in my own back yard a couple of weeks ago. I was okay; but, in December I slipped on my stairs and went flying and broke my kneecap. I mean, not my first rodeo and due to C-19 I opted to not go to the ER. I waited to get a regular appointment with my Ortho surgeon. They gave me a brace and I had to stay off of it. I did not even ask for pain killers. But, somehow psychologically it feels better to be able to get help. Yikes, so entirely painful for so very long. Probably would not have been able to administer physical therapy on myself the first two months. Not even sure what all the soft tissue damage was... I guess I would never be able to live that remote (not really even when younger) because I guess I was too much of a dufuss. I know I saw a movie of this guy that lived alone in a remote area of Alaska for decades. It's amazing that people can do that and live through it.
Yes, I can relate. And having access to medical care when injured is an important thing especially as we age. I really think the degree to which one decides to move outside the main metros will vary a lot person to person. Some may want to live like that for a season of life while others do it for many years and thrive.

The other option would be smaller town living or living in the woods just outside a mid sized city. I could see something like that easily workable in places like Big Sur, Carmel Valley or the Santa Cruz mountains. All of those places are very close to the redwoods. Yet they are close enough to everything one would need during retirement if forest living was desired.

I'm sure there other places like that too, maybe just not quite as idyllic in terms of near perfect weather and easy access to amenities when needed. Not to mention some of the most beautiful coastline which collides with the redwood forests and coastal mountains. You can see why artists, meditation centers and tourists flock there. Too bad its so expensive. lol

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 09-13-2023 at 11:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon