Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2022, 10:06 PM

15 posts, read 17,946 times

Advertisements

Hey all!
A couple of questions here, trying to find some recent threads regarding White City and surrounding neighborhoods. Currently we live in Newport, Or. But a job may have us relocating.
Housing is pretty non existent in Newport we have looked for 5 years and still live in an apartment. That being said, is it the same out White City, Eagle Point, Central point way?
Also what is the good, bad and ugly of these towns. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2022, 05:58 AM

722 posts, read 598,028 times
I've been away from southern Oregon for about 2 years now, but at the time I left Central Point was slowly but surely improving it's image and the general feel of it becoming something other than a low income extension of Medford. It was seeming to show some progress in terms of "quality of life." White City I always found just a depressing place, ugly, a town made up of castoffs of every kind (people, buildings, businesses) that lived outside of either the active urban and suburban life of Medford or the beautiful rural life farther out. It's just this sad kind of transition zone. I don't know much about Eagle Point other than that there's a big golf course there and some large new house developments.

Old 01-09-2022, 09:51 AM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times
I suggest that you look at the various places that rentals are listed to see if there is anything available to rent.

Old 01-09-2022, 10:31 AM

15,574 posts, read 40,413,812 times
So I know that we are starting to get people moving up to Salem from the Medford area because of constant smoke from fires. I know their market had been strong, but it might be softening a bit due to the smoke so I can see home buying become easier in the next couple of years in the area.

Old 01-09-2022, 10:42 AM

3,040 posts, read 4,999,190 times
I live in Medford, the housing market in this area is brutal, the cost of housing has priced a lot of people out of the housing market. Houses that were selling for 200,000 two years ago are now selling for 300,000+ and rentals in the area are expensive, if you can find one. The vacancy rate in the Rogue Valley is about 1% and has been for the last year. There are new apartment complexes being build but the cost of construction has driven the rental cost to 1000+ a month.

As Sliverfall stated, the smoke in the valley can be awful during fire season. In the last 5 years I think we have only had 1 summer without choking smoke. When the smoke moves in it can last for a week or more.

Old 01-09-2022, 09:57 PM

15,414 posts, read 9,055,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
I live in Medford, the housing market in this area is brutal, the cost of housing has priced a lot of people out of the housing market. Houses that were selling for 200,000 two years ago are now selling for 300,000+ and rentals in the area are expensive, if you can find one. The vacancy rate in the Rogue Valley is about 1% and has been for the last year. There are new apartment complexes being build but the cost of construction has driven the rental cost to 1000+ a month.

As Sliverfall stated, the smoke in the valley can be awful during fire season. In the last 5 years I think we have only had 1 summer without choking smoke. When the smoke moves in it can last for a week or more.
Plus many of the Almeda Fire victims are still living in FEMA trailers.

Quote:
Almeda Fire victims able to purchase FEMA trailers
Jenna Kingby Jenna King | December 7, 2021 11:22 pm

JACKSON COUNTY, Ore. —Many Almeda Fire victims are still calling FEMA trailers home, across Jackson County.

Commissioner Rick Dyer tells us, the residents in the trailers were sent a letter, asking if they would like to purchase their trailer.

Dyer says a majority of the residents decided to take advantage of the offer, but several still haven’t replied. The residents have until March to make up their minds.

“I would like for them to say yes, I would like for them to take advantage of that option, these trailers are here they are excellent housing options for the people who need affordable housing and it would be a shame to have them just go away and not have those options available,” said Commissioner Dyer.
Almeda Fire victims able to purchase FEMA trailers _ KMVU Fox 26 Medford

Old 01-23-2022, 10:46 PM

15 posts, read 17,946 times
Thank you so much for all the information! It is all very useful in our search. I have recently discovered the housing issue and understand the fire issue. Luckily it does not happen often and I hope it doesn't continue for anyone.
The Otis fire that happened here a few years back still have folks looking for homes too.
I feel like we should just stay put I reckon.
Thanks again for the insight!

Old 01-24-2022, 02:06 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,696,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca.cowgirl64 View Post
I have recently discovered the housing issue and understand the fire issue. Luckily it does not happen often and I hope it doesn't continue for anyone.
The fires are the new normal.

Old 01-25-2022, 09:49 PM

92 posts, read 87,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca.cowgirl64 View Post
T.
Thanks again for the insight!
The summer - fall smoke is just getting worse and worse throughout south Oregon and the east Cascades. Living in Newport, you're breathing the best air in the nation, so ask yourself what that is worth to you.
Suggest staying where you are, be patient, and work to make it as good as possible over the long haul.

Old 02-03-2022, 01:05 PM

4,168 posts, read 2,566,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
The fires are the new normal.
Sadly I agree. I've lived in NE Oregon for 4yrs this month. There have been fires, and smoke for 3 out of those 4 summers. I wish we got summer rains to clear the air, and refresh things, but it isn't that type of climate. Last summer with the horrible heat wave, drought, and fires was the worst it seems. I hope this next summer will be an improvement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon