Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 06:44 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,707,782 times

Advertisements

California migration has increased this year alone and will probably continue as the fires get worse each year. I've noticed a difference in Florence this year alone.

Large numbers of baby boomers are also retiring, which can potentially impact population growth on the coast.

Oh, they already are.

http://worldpopulationreview.com/us-...or-population/

ETA the homeless population seems to have grown as well. Along with an apparent influx of the usual drifters, people rendered homeless by the fires are coming north. According to someone involved in charitable works here, Florence has four new homeless families from the recent Camp Fire. Not sure how this is going to work out since we don't really have working class/low income housing here.

Anyway, I was just trying to say that I think there's a strong possibility that these coastal towns are going to experience population growth, and recent numbers bear that out. So whatever.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 12-08-2018 at 07:10 PM..

Old 12-08-2018, 07:17 PM

15,417 posts, read 9,065,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I figured the inventible copy-and-paste from Wikipedia would follow my question. I'm not sure you understand what I was wondering, though.

Again, California migration has increased this year alone and will probably continue as the fires get worse each year. I've noticed a difference in Florence this year alone.

Large numbers of baby boomers are also retiring, which can potentially impact population growth on the coast.

Oh, they already are.

http://worldpopulationreview.com/us-...or-population/

ETA the homeless population seems to have grown as well. According to someone involved in charitable works here, Florence has four new homeless families from the recent Camp Fire. Not sure how this is going to work out since we don't really have working class/low income housing here.

Anyway, I was just trying to say that I think there's a strong possibility that these coastal towns are going to experience population growth, and recent numbers bear that out. So whatever.
I haven't noticed any real change in population in the five years I have been here. I don't know when you moved here, but I suspect it was after the last boom in population in the 1990s. I wasn't here then either, but I can only imagine what the coast must have been like in the 1970s and 80s when the population was doubling every 10 years, logging trucks jammed all the roads, and houses were being constructed everywhere to keep up with the demand. That is just not happening today. What will happen in the future, we will have to wait and see.

Old 12-08-2018, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I haven't noticed any real change in population in the five years I have been here.
I have, and the numbers for the past couple of years in Florence bear it out, and it's often the subject of conversation in public venues here. Probably because Florence is considered a more desirable location than Coos Bay among retirees.

Old 12-08-2018, 07:37 PM

15,417 posts, read 9,065,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I don't know if you see it in Northern Oregon, but Jordan Cove is making a big PR push in Southern Oregon, with TV spots and full color mailers. Plus, they are offering a minimum easement payment of over $13,000 for every property line they cross, plus additional payments.

https://www.jordancovelng.com/

The rail line has been repaired and rail shipping is back in full operation. It's a great deepwater port, that only lacks decent container freight facilities. If they could get ships in and out rapidly, they could do big business there.
They have been told multiple times to take a hike. Nobody here wants their stupid pipeline, and we are certainly not going to agree to condemn the land of people who live here to build it. It's just not going to happen. We don't need Canadians building a pipeline here to sell our resources to the Japanese. That will not help Oregon, and it is not going to happen, at least not without a big fight.

Old 12-08-2018, 10:39 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,452,132 times
Meanwhile all those rich greedy California land developers hover patiently in the background, just waiting to pounce when the time is right, laughing at that little diversion and figuring out how to influence your city politicians on issues that may help them immensely five years from now.
Then, before you know it..................

BTW, expect to be told that change is inevitable, you are biased against "outsiders", you're provincial (my favorite), you are some dumb Oregon rednecks that can't see the future and how great it will be for you, on and on.

I was a young man just becoming aware when Seattle went nuts.
I watched Bend explode from a little ranching/logging town in the middle of nowhere to what it is now.
I was in my prime when Portland started to go crazy.
I got to watch San Francisco fall into the toilet.
I watched Oregon go from a obscure quiet sleepy little State to one of the most desirable places in the US to move to, getting articles written about her in the New York Times.

I see several "symptoms" of all initial growth and interest that happening right now in Coos Bay.
Coos Bay is the last coastal west coast city with any serious development potential left.

The things that have kept Coos Bay from exploding is a lack of good solid ground transportation infrastructure, bad city leadership that doesn't seem to plan or think about the "long game", and the fact that that it is not really close to any "major" cities.

But think about this, Seattle is too big and expensive, Portland is experiencing some serious growing pains with no intelligent leadership, San Francisco and Sacramento are too far south.
Coos Bay would be smack dab between Portland and San Francisco.
If you haven't noticed, people begging to get out of Portland and San Francisco.

I could be an excellent port.
It's close to some of the most beautiful west coast scenery and wilderness areas.
There are a huge amount of things to take advantage of.
Right now land and real estate prices are relatively cheap.
It could soon end up being the new west coast "trendy" city.

Right now, Coos Bay is ripe for development and could make huge sums of money for the right people if they are smart enough to play the long game.
Face it, Coos Bay (and it's near communities) will not stop growing, and the area is perfect for investment.

Very, very, soon, it will seem like half of the country "discovered" Coos Bay.
They will call it the "Last Hidden Gem of Oregon", and people will start flocking there in droves.

Things will start changing, and in about ten years you will be shaking your head in amazement wondering what the heck happened to my sleepy little Coos Bay.

Just like the frog boiling story.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 12-08-2018 at 10:58 PM..

Old 12-09-2018, 12:46 AM

30,350 posts, read 19,143,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal-HippieChick View Post
Hi, My husband and I are thinking of moving to Coos Bay, Or in spring of 2019. We've done alot of research as far as V.A. Facilities, Medical and Retirement benefits, Disability and such. Real Estate, Shopping, recreation, and on. We even read there is 66" inches of rain per year! That's more than the wettest place on the planet Seattle! In our research we haven't come across anyone who has complained about the rain. Can someone who lives there or has lived there for a significant amount of time please let us know about the weather and why everyone is ok with it? We are retired and are aware of the economy there. No need to have employment so it's all good. Thanks in advance for any information given. 2 old hippies retired life.
I lived just north of there for a few years. You have to be able to withstand rainy and gray winters or you will have to move on, we moved on. Other than the rain and gray, it's beautiful and the temps are never extreme.

Old 12-09-2018, 01:36 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,491,098 times
I can speak to how people cope with rainy weather. I lived in Crescent City, CA (just south of the OR border on the coast & even more rain than Coos Bay) for a few years before moving back to the SF Bay Area. I also lived in the White Salmon, WA area for many years, a couple hours from Portland, OR, and I lived in Seattle and Bellingham, and even owned a house in Sumas, WA on the Canadian border. So, basically, I lived in that PNW wet weather a total of over 20 years.

What you do is you dress for it, and you don't let it keep you from going outside and doing things. You can't think in terms of your old idea of what to do on a rainy day.

So, you get some good Gore-tex boots. If you want some lightweight ones for every day and light hikes, I highly recommend these:

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/6715...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

If you shop around, you can find them cheaper.

Dress in layers. If you might sweat because you'll be hiking or jogging, I highly recommend the wick-dry clothing you can get at REI and places like that. You can get moisture-wicking clothing from socks to underwear to pants, shirts, etc.:

https://www.rei.com/s/moisture-wicki...rts&origin=web

You want those so that you basically stay dry, even if you get sweaty, so you don't catch a chill. But, you can also get sweaty in a raincoat, even if it's not that cold outside.

Get a good rain coat that's long enough that it covers at least your upper thighs.

Keep a change of dry, comfortable clothing in your vehicle that you can change into, just in case your vehicle doesn't start when you are thinking you'll just drive home to a hot shower.

And get checked for Vitamin D regularly. The lack of sunshine can result in a Vitamin D deficiency, which can result in depression, and other problems. I became Vitamin D deficient just a couple years ago living in Crescent City, after living there for a year.

Be ready for weather that can get too severe even if it's not that cold outside, that will keep you indoors. Winds of 60 mph will keep you inside. So, have some indoor hobbies you enjoy. But, otherwise, I highly suggest getting out for a walk every day you can. When you get up and see yet another gloomy sky, if you make yourself get out for a walk, and you look around at how bright the greens are (colors are so much more intense on cloudy days), and smell the fresh air, you'll feel better and have the energy to be productive the rest of the day. Dogs are really great for making you get outside even when you might want to stay on the couch. Just get lots of used towels at the thrift store, and a washer and dryer :-)

And, know that you can drive inland if you need a sun fix. Redding, CA is one of the sunniest places on earth, and actually gets a lot of really good entertainment. It's too dang hot in summer, but in winter, it's a great place to visit. I can recommend the Thunderbird Lodge downtown as a place to stay and you can just get a cab or walk to most of the entertainment venues from there. A really nice Indian family bought it and run it now - it used to be a dive, but no more.

Best wishes to you.

Oh, and as far as California moving up there - I wouldn't hold my breath. Crescent City is on the California coast and there is no influx of southern Californians clambering to live there. It's just too isolated from anything, as is Coos Bay. People move there, and then move somewhere else. That kind of isolation isn't for many people. Also, the politics and culture is a difficult hurdle for many people from the urban areas. Looking at Crescent City, for example, more stores are closing all the time, even though land prices are really cheap and it's on the ocean, and California has Prop 13 as far as property taxes, etc. It's not the kind of beach people are really looking for, which they soon realize. And many people want more access to healthcare, etc., closer than 2 hours on a winding mountain road, which is what you get in Crescent City and Coos Bay - if Eugene even has major healthcare facilities.

The OP says they've done their research and it's what they want, but they're the exception, from what I've seen.

Old 12-09-2018, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post

Oh, and as far as California moving up there - I wouldn't hold my breath. Crescent City is on the California coast and there is no influx of southern Californians clambering to live there. It's just too isolated from anything, as is Coos Bay. People move there, and then move somewhere else. That kind of isolation isn't for many people. Also, the politics and culture is a difficult hurdle for many people from the urban areas. Looking at Crescent City, for example, more stores are closing all the time, even though land prices are really cheap and it's on the ocean, and California has Prop 13 as far as property taxes, etc. It's not the kind of beach people are really looking for, which they soon realize. And many people want more access to healthcare, etc., closer than 2 hours on a winding mountain road, which is what you get in Crescent City and Coos Bay - if Eugene even has major healthcare facilities.
Californians are already moving up and will undoubtedly continue to do so as their own state is rendered unlivable.

Old 12-09-2018, 08:47 AM

2,542 posts, read 4,002,062 times
What are the numbers for California residents moving to Oregon coastal towns?

Old 12-09-2018, 11:33 AM

5,439 posts, read 7,733,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BendLocal View Post
What are the numbers for California residents moving to Oregon coastal towns?
I have no idea what the answer to your question is. But on the northern coast which I'm most familiar with, there are thousands of vacation homes that have been bought up by people of means who visited during the summer and got charmed by Cannon Beach or Manzanita or Pacific City or Seaside or wherever. Then the reality of year-round living on the coast sits in and the place sits empty or becomes another AirBnb or goes up for sale.

Go to zillow and look at how many homes are currently for sale in any beach town on the northern coast. The number is astonishing compared to a typical size inland town. Here is Manzanita. There are 118 listings for a town with a population of 598 (o about 1 listing for eveyr t5 residents).
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...33_rect/13_zm/

Here is Oceanside which has 138 listings and a population of 361 (or about 1 listing for every 3 residents)
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...67_rect/14_zm/

You get the point. If there was actual tremendous demand for housing along this part of the coast then one thinks that there would be a whole lot fewer places for sale.

By contrast, Corvallis, which is actually very much in-demand for people moving into the area has 229 current listings on zillow for a town with a population of 55,000 (or about 1 listing for every 250 residents). https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...42_rect/10_zm/

EDIT: OK I see that the listings I was linking to included lots so the numbers for existing homes are lower. 38 for Oceanside, 159 for Corvallis, and 51 for Manzanita. But the point still holds true. There are orders of magnitude more houses for sale on the coast than in popular inland cities.

Last edited by texasdiver; 12-09-2018 at 11:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon