Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 09:08 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,460,602 times

Advertisements

Ok Larry, I am sorry I said just clams.
Thank you so much for correcting me, but the OP was asking about clamming.

Crabbing is somewhat popular there also, but the bay is shallow (some places close to the mouth are so shallow you could just about wade across wearing chest waders at low tide), tidal currents strong, and boat crabbing can be a chore.
Plus you can't cross the bar to get into the ocean.
It isn't dredged and can be very dangerous.

BTW, what makes it great for crabs is that the bay has no fresh water rivers flowing into it.
I see lots of people "crab fishing" with Crabhawks at Happy Camp.

As far as fishing goes, since there are no fresh water rivers or hatcheries, you can't keep salmon etc. By law...
Plus there are a ton of places that are better for surf perch etc...

You are so close to Tillamook bay, which is a world famous fall Chinook fishery, plus crabbing, plus jetty fishing, plus beaches north for surf perch fishing, that Netarts Bay does not have a great reputation for fishing and crabbing, but go ahead if you want to. IMHO, there are much better places for that.

Netarts is famous for clamming though.
There are literally miles of clamming flats, and all that is needed is a shellfish license, a bucket, and a rake or shovel.
Great for kids!
Google for a list of public clamming areas and where to find all the different types of clams!
You can stay in town at the Terimore motel, and walk down to the beach at low tide with a shovel and bucket and within five minutes be digging big ole Gapers!

The Oyster comment was spot on!
The lack of fresh water inlets make Netarts Bay oysters smaller, brinier, yet sweeter at the same time.
Netarts Bay oysters are much sought after, and command premium prices.

Much better than the manure infused Tillamook Bay oysters, which I quit eating years ago.

Last edited by pdxMIKEpdx; 09-10-2018 at 10:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2018, 12:14 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,701,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
Newport, South bay used to have an abundance of clams. I haven't clammed there in 30 yrs.
Mom had a beach house (now sister's) at Pacific City (PC). I am pretty lazy so I used to go to Netarts for cockles and blues/gappers then go home to PC and then another limit for eastern softshell clams. Now in my older years, I just go to Sandlake and just walk around for cockles, then go to the Little Nestucca for the softshells. You can reliably catch softshells at a +0.5tide, but it you will be in very soft sand/muck.

Netarts, is good for crabbing, but not at the same time as clams. Tide current is too strong at the moons full/no moon for crabbing.
Bay clams do not have high incidence of "red tide poisoning" because they feed in brackish water rather than in straight ocean waters.

I have gout, clams and crabs are delicious but I rather be able to walk.
Nah, clam at low tide, crab at high tide, spend the rest of the time eating.

Old 09-11-2018, 07:58 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,460,602 times
Totally agree, and the most delicious time of the year is at hand.

Old 09-11-2018, 08:08 PM

13,080 posts, read 7,533,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon 364 View Post
After 7 years in the military and 31 years of local public service, my wife and I are retiring to Oregon. I am originally from South Carolina and really miss the crabbing and shrimping that was avail there. Believe it or not, a factor in where we retire is clamming. We are considering the general areas of Florence and Newport. I really enjoy clamming. I was wondering if I could get a few posters to comment on the best clamming areas in Oregon. Between Florence and Newport, which areas has superior clamming? Does the northern Oregon coast have substantially better clamming than either of these two areas?

Any information would be appreciated. And, yes, I have done research online. I am looking for local opinions..

thanx..

jon
You do know that we, Left Coasters, throw back crabs that Right Coasters think are big. And no taking of the females.
There is the fine art of clamming in the late Fall and Winter months, generally am dark. I believe in giving the clams a sporting chance to run away, adequately preparing their camouflage, or standup and be a clam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon