Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 12:35 AM

12 posts, read 16,334 times

Advertisements

Hi,
Looking for opinions/guidance on possible relocation to Bandon. I am not the typical starry eyed retiree looking to move to the ocean but have considered and researched it for years. Some background: Lived most of my life in small Nor Cal town where I built(with my hands) our house in the forest. Long dry, hot summers, 60-70" rain in winter. I do not like long, warm summers but my wife and I enjoy watching the winter storms very much-you could call us storm watchers. Our town became over run with Marijuana growers to the point that we sold our house we spent 27 years at(but we made a decent return) We sold our house and moved to a rental while we ponder our future home. We have been vacationing on the coast most of my life from Cambria to the San Juan Islands. Any coastal town in Ca is either totally out of reach or highly influenced by the Marijuana industry. We have always liked Bandon and have been spending several weeks there every year at different times for the last 20 years. We spend a lot of time interacting with locals and people seem to really like it there. Our intent is not Ocean Front but Bay/River view near down town. We are retired so employment is not an issue. We are not big consumers and are aware that most shopping of serious nature will be Coos Bay/Roseburg. I have always enjoyed the moderate coastal climate and enjoy the rain of Bandon-most of the Ca coast is very dry. So is Bandon a good place to plant ourselves? There is a lot of real estate on the market-a particular home I have been watching in a desirable sheltered Bay/Ocean view location has been on the market more than 1/2 year and has been reduced several times. It has a separate residence to live in if necessary while remodeling. So would I be making a wise purchase? What will the market do in spring? Will I be disappointed I did not act or will inventory continue to increase? We are looking to buy a permanent home.
Also are termites/ants a problem? They were a problem in our last house-it was like the forest was trying to eat our house. I have a construction background so I know what to look for in a house. I would rather buy and update an existing home than build.
Any comments/advice appreciated.

Last edited by Ca Boy; 02-28-2018 at 12:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2018, 03:25 AM

15,437 posts, read 9,136,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ca Boy View Post
Hi,
Looking for opinions/guidance on possible relocation to Bandon. I am not the typical starry eyed retiree looking to move to the ocean but have considered and researched it for years. Some background: Lived most of my life in small Nor Cal town where I built(with my hands) our house in the forest. Long dry, hot summers, 60-70" rain in winter. I do not like long, warm summers but my wife and I enjoy watching the winter storms very much-you could call us storm watchers. Our town became over run with Marijuana growers to the point that we sold our house we spent 27 years at(but we made a decent return) We sold our house and moved to a rental while we ponder our future home. We have been vacationing on the coast most of my life from Cambria to the San Juan Islands. Any coastal town in Ca is either totally out of reach or highly influenced by the Marijuana industry. We have always liked Bandon and have been spending several weeks there every year at different times for the last 20 years. We spend a lot of time interacting with locals and people seem to really like it there. Our intent is not Ocean Front but Bay/River view near down town. We are retired so employment is not an issue. We are not big consumers and are aware that most shopping of serious nature will be Coos Bay/Roseburg. I have always enjoyed the moderate coastal climate and enjoy the rain of Bandon-most of the Ca coast is very dry. So is Bandon a good place to plant ourselves? There is a lot of real estate on the market-a particular home I have been watching in a desirable sheltered Bay/Ocean view location has been on the market more than 1/2 year and has been reduced several times. It has a separate residence to live in if necessary while remodeling. So would I be making a wise purchase? What will the market do in spring? Will I be disappointed I did not act or will inventory continue to increase? We are looking to buy a permanent home.
Also are termites/ants a problem? They were a problem in our last house-it was like the forest was trying to eat our house. I have a construction background so I know what to look for in a house. I would rather buy and update an existing home than build.
Any comments/advice appreciated.
There are dozens of marijuana related businesses within a 30 mile radius of Bandon. If it's a problem for you in California, it will be a problem for you in Oregon too.

Old 02-28-2018, 07:39 AM

32,680 posts, read 48,196,960 times
Marijuana is legal in Oregon, so there is a lot of marijuana growing. It's not the punji stick stealth growing like has always been common on the north California coast. But growers have been buying up agricultural land which increases land prices, and there are lots of dispensaries. While there are a lot of dispenseries, they tend to be low key. Nothing like Washington where they take out billboards and advertise on the radio...at least, not yet.

You've been there enough times to know if the area suits you.

Old 02-28-2018, 07:40 AM

991 posts, read 1,523,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
There are dozens of marijuana related businesses within a 30 mile radius of Bandon. If it's a problem for you in California, it will be a problem for you in Oregon too.

My first thought as well. The marijuana industry is booming in Oregon. Maybe rent first, to make sure you can deal with the folks that come with the industry.

Old 02-28-2018, 09:35 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,852,123 times
Bandon has its share of places that sell recreational marijuana, but I haven't seen a lot of the grow facilities right in/around town - I'm sure they are there, but here in Medford we have the 50-100' long white-plastic-cover "quonset hut" style greenhouses which stand out quite a bit. Indoor marijuana is a year-round operation, outdoor marijuana is not. That would be the legal stuff, the illegal stuff tends to be deep back into the forests.

Coastal real estate tends to move slowly in that area.

Old 02-28-2018, 09:39 AM

423 posts, read 289,912 times
What about dry rot?

Old 02-28-2018, 10:31 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,241,313 times
I say go for it especially, since you mentioned you have visited several times over 20 years, you should already be somewhat familiar with the vibe of the town...and the winds and the summertime tourists. Bandon's a nice little slow-paced town for retirees.

I don't know about dry rot but mold, yes.

My only question is "Bay"? River and ocean, yes, but where is this "Bay(view)" you speak of?

Old 02-28-2018, 12:46 PM

15,594 posts, read 40,493,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seashelly View Post
I say go for it especially, since you mentioned you have visited several times over 20 years, you should already be somewhat familiar with the vibe of the town...and the winds and the summertime tourists. Bandon's a nice little slow-paced town for retirees.

I don't know about dry rot but mold, yes.

My only question is "Bay"? River and ocean, yes, but where is this "Bay(view)" you speak of?
I think the Coquille is what the OP is talking about. It sort of widens by the ocean so it is "bayesque" but not a real bay.

Ca boy, most of the coast takes a while to sell. We don't have large cities on the coast drawing families/Millenials over so it is just a more restricted pool of buyers, generally speaking.

Old 02-28-2018, 04:52 PM

15,437 posts, read 9,136,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Marijuana is legal in Oregon, so there is a lot of marijuana growing. It's not the punji stick stealth growing like has always been common on the north California coast. But growers have been buying up agricultural land which increases land prices, and there are lots of dispensaries. While there are a lot of dispenseries, they tend to be low key. Nothing like Washington where they take out billboards and advertise on the radio...at least, not yet.

You've been there enough times to know if the area suits you.
I'm not sure they are lowkey. Most seem to be in high traffic areas and they are very noticable. They also have billboards, and I think they have radio ads too. Though I'm not sure, since I don't listen to much radio.

Old 02-28-2018, 06:55 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,877,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I'm not sure they are lowkey. Most seem to be in high traffic areas and they are very noticable. They also have billboards, and I think they have radio ads too. Though I'm not sure, since I don't listen to much radio.
They even have people dancing and holding signs outfront. I've seen cartoon like characters out there dancing for the drivers to know where they can get high. I sure don't miss driving by all of that taking my kid to school...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon