Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 06:20 PM

2 posts, read 4,785 times

Advertisements

Looking to move to Oregon next summer and need help. Currently in rural Oklahoma and looking for rural area with at least 2 to 3 acres within 30 minutes or less of work. Work would be as a vet tech. Need a good school and a town that invests in its schools. Looking in the SW area but not on the coast. Also what can we expect for summers and winters? Would like to research at least 2 or more areas and then visit them next spring. Thank you for any help. By small town probably less than 5000 people but it depends on town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2017, 07:59 AM

32,678 posts, read 48,175,275 times
Most towns have a vet. I don't know if there are job openings for vet techs. I do know that vet techs aren't paid very well.

Oregon is not famous for good schools. The state of Washington has a much better funded school system.

There are 6,453 threads in the Oregon forum about "tell me which is the best small town." I suggest that you do some reading and come back with some specific questions if you find your questions are still unanswerred.

Oh, and because marijuana has been legalized, 2-3 acre rural (agricultural) plots in SW Oregon are going for big money as marijuana farms.

Old 11-17-2017, 11:13 AM

4,828 posts, read 7,464,443 times
Use City Data's resources:

https://www.city-data.com/city/Oregon.html

You can filter towns by population, then read all about them.

Then pick a few and come back and ask.

Old 11-17-2017, 12:49 PM

15,431 posts, read 9,129,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chancervan View Post
Looking to move to Oregon next summer and need help. Currently in rural Oklahoma and looking for rural area with at least 2 to 3 acres within 30 minutes or less of work. Work would be as a vet tech. Need a good school and a town that invests in its schools. Looking in the SW area but not on the coast. Also what can we expect for summers and winters? Would like to research at least 2 or more areas and then visit them next spring. Thank you for any help. By small town probably less than 5000 people but it depends on town.
You are probably not going to like the answer, but wherever you can find a job. I don't know anybody who has picked out a small town in Oregon and then just found a job there. That's just not the way it works. At least not to start with. They get the job first and then move to that town. They know that if they lose the job, they will be packing up and moving to some other place.

Feel free to put your resume out in what ever areas you like. Just don't expect to get flooded with job offers. Your work is specialized. I would guess that most of the jobs for it would be in the larger cities like Portland and Eugene.

The veterinary clinic near me I believe is a mom and pop operation, that employees a couple of receptionist, who have probably worked there forever.

Old 12-03-2017, 11:51 AM

136 posts, read 80,835 times
I recommend Pleasant Hill (by far the best school district), Dexter, and Lowell. There are many veterinarians in Eugene and Springfield which would be approximately 30 minutes away from each of those small towns. Winters will be rainy, foggy, with occasional icy days. Summers, which usually start July 5th , will be 80-95 degrees, no humidity. We sometimes get over 100 degrees, but for only a day or two. The fall days are beautiful, starting at the end of September, and we'll have occasional rain with warm winds. 2-3 acres will be hard to find...anywhere. It seems to be what everyone is looking for these days.

Old 12-03-2017, 04:03 PM

5,472 posts, read 7,769,272 times
Silverton Oregon. Good schools, nice town, easy commuting distance to the greater Salem area and surrounding towns.

Old 12-03-2017, 04:26 PM

15,589 posts, read 40,484,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
Silverton Oregon. Good schools, nice town, easy commuting distance to the greater Salem area and surrounding towns.
Silverton is a good option, but it isn't in SW Oregon.

Old 12-04-2017, 08:57 AM

2 posts, read 4,785 times
Thank you that gives me some places to start looking. We are still in the planning stage. We have 3 generations moving in one household so need something for everyone.

Old 12-04-2017, 12:39 PM

5,472 posts, read 7,769,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Silverton is a good option, but it isn't in SW Oregon.
Rural area,
Good Schools (town that invests in its schools)
SW Oregon

Pick which two of these are most important to you. You aren't going to find all three.

Old 01-03-2018, 12:43 PM

21 posts, read 57,263 times
Default Retirement in Silverton?

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
Would you recommend Silverton as a good place to retire?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon