Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 10:37 AM

17,665 posts, read 22,784,843 times

Advertisements

Umpqua Bank is in Central Point.

https://www.google.com/search?source...k1.zBvOcWyLgLY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2017, 09:28 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,739,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf77820 View Post
Hi all,

It looks like we are going to rent a house in Central Point. Close to Medford in what seems to be a nice area and the house is only a few years old. Thanks so much to everyone for the input.

Any ideas on a good local bank to use? I bank locally in Missouri so I'm having to start over.

And one more question, I'm buying a new vehicle. My dilemma is whether to wait to get to Oregon to purchase, due to Oregon not having a sales tax, as Missouri does have sales tax. I've never car shopped in Oregon, so I can't say if the price of a vehicle makes up for the lack of a sales tax or if Oregon prices are comparable to Missouri prices. First time buying a new car, so forgive me if I'm sounding naive on this. Ha! And if this matters, I'm looking at a Toyota.
First, when I was in Crescent City, CA, I got an account in Brookings, OR with Rogue Credit Union. I'm 61 years old and have lived all over northern CA, WA and TN, and Rogue Credit Union is the best bank I've ever dealt with in my life. The customer service is absolutely amazing, compared to any other I've ever dealt with.

https://www.roguecu.org/

As far as buying a vehicle in OR, you can probably see if prices are comparable by calling or looking online. Something else that's great in that area of OR, is that you also shouldn't have to get your vehicle smog tested.

Find out if you have to pay any kind of tax for bringing a vehicle into OR, as far as registration goes. I don't know about that.

The truck I bought in Central Point: the owners asked me to please send them the OR plates back after I registered it in CA, because they could then use the plates on another vehicle that they owned. And I understand that the registration is also good for more than one year.

If I was you, I'd call the Toyota dealership in Medford, and ask them how it would work. Then, also call the Oregon DMV office and ask the same questions.

My thinking, though, is that if you buy a vehicle in MO first, you'll pay some taxes on it there, then if you bring it into OR, you'll end up paying additional taxes in OR. So, if you were planning on buying a new vehicle anyway, it would probably be cheaper to just buy one in OR.

Old 09-15-2017, 10:23 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,917,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
My thinking, though, is that if you buy a vehicle in MO first, you'll pay some taxes on it there, then if you bring it into OR, you'll end up paying additional taxes in OR. So, if you were planning on buying a new vehicle anyway, it would probably be cheaper to just buy one in OR.
Although the registration cost in Oregon is $86 for a passenger vehicle for 2 years ($172 for 4 years on a brand new vehicle), buying from a dealer will stick you with a few extra fees on top of that for them to do the legwork to generate a new title, get plates, etc. If you buy there, you will pay registration and tax and then pay registration, plate fee, etc here, essentially paying the same thing (minus the tax) twice.

To make transferring a vehicle into Oregon easier, you really need the permanent title and registration in your hand, not the temporary you will likely get if you buy a car there and drive it here. So it is certainly less hassle to buy new here.

Old 09-17-2017, 10:30 PM

4,878 posts, read 3,147,758 times
Default another banking option

Do you have US Bank in Missouri? If so, you could start an account there and just transfer it when you move. I'm in CA and planning to move to OR, so I've done that already. Get a credit card with them, and you'll get free checking too (at least, they offer that in CA). I haven't had this account for very long, so can't say much pro or con about service quality. But they seem to have branchs all over the Northwest.

Old 09-18-2017, 06:23 PM

8 posts, read 33,771 times
Hey all,

Thanks for the thoughtful responses. It looks like I'm going to leave my car here in MO with the parents and let them do with it what they want and start fresh in Oregon.

As far as banks, I'm debating between Rogue Credit Union and Umpqua. They are both in ideal locations, so either should work for me.

The rental house we were so excited about fell through as there was one applicant before us whose credit score barely got him the place. Very frustrating to say the least. I knew it was going to be difficult to be difficult to find something, but I thought we had lucked out with the first place we loved. We are waiting to hear back on another house in Central Point and crossing our fingers that everything goes well. Send good thoughts!

Old 09-21-2017, 12:12 PM

10,996 posts, read 20,669,951 times
Portland is the point of import for cars made in Japan. For example a friend of my brother's lives in Boise. He wanted a Subaru and found that there was a significant savings buying from the Portland dealership vs Boise dealership.

Definately buy your new car in Oregon. Determine the make and model you want to purchase and shop. Costco has a car buying service (they have a store in Medford). If you are a Costco member definately give that resource a spin.

Credit Unions often have attractive car loan offerings. There is no reason why not to have an account at Rogue Credit Union and Umpqua Bank. We are a Chase family because we are legacy Washington Mutual account holders. The nearest Umpqua Bank ATM is inconvenient for us but if it weren't Umpqua would be my preference. Umpqua's management is fantastic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon