Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2017, 11:44 AM

15,415 posts, read 9,055,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eileenkeeney View Post
Out of curiosity, I just checked for hotel availability, for tonight, in Newport Oregon, Depoe Bay and Lincoln City. All show availability although at very high prices (4-5 times the normal prices).

When I checked a few months ago, all of these cities showed zero availability.

Interesting.
It's not surprising really. A lot of people got hotel reservations at hotels all along the eclipse path. Just like people created a shortage of eclipse glasses, by buying dozens or even hundreds of them. But the hotels are still going to keep their prices high anyway. They have to recover the cost of those cancelled reservations. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of hotel sit empty tonight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2017, 11:47 AM

Well, the weather looks good pretty much everywhere. The traffic is good. It looks like everybody will have good eclipse viewing.

I'm still trying to decide where to go. Even though I think the viewing conditions on the coast will be fine, I'm leaning towards driving inland, just to be safe.

Old 08-20-2017, 12:39 PM

861 posts, read 1,061,809 times
My backup is to drive north, through Siletz, vs. just south of Depoe Bay. If it is clear, and traffic is bearable, I'll stay on 101 and continue on to Boiler Bay to view it. About a mile south of the centerline. This avoids the traffic returning north to Lincoln City, which will probably be most of the traffic.

Last edited by wolfdog; 08-20-2017 at 01:27 PM.. Reason: clarity

Old 08-20-2017, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfdog View Post
My backup is to drive north of Siletz, vs. just south of Depoe Bay. If it is clear, and traffic is bearable, I'll continue on to Boiler Bay to view it.
Talking to some locals on Friday, Siletz is where they are planning to go to view it. I was told that the marine layer clouds really don't effect Siletz. River fog could be a problem, but they thought that would be unlikely.

Boiler Bay would be a good location, but parking could be a big problem. So get there early. On Friday I tried to get into Fogarty State Park, and they wouldn't even let me in. I was told it was closed to day use, and open for campers only. That knocks out most of the parking spots in that area. I'm not sure how hard they are going to try to prevent people from parking on the shoulder of the highway or off road on the grass. Either way it's going to be hard to find parking there.

Old 08-20-2017, 02:09 PM

861 posts, read 1,061,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Talking to some locals on Friday, Siletz is where they are planning to go to view it. I was told that the marine layer clouds really don't effect Siletz. River fog could be a problem, but they thought that would be unlikely.

Boiler Bay would be a good location, but parking could be a big problem. So get there early. On Friday I tried to get into Fogarty State Park, and they wouldn't even let me in. I was told it was closed to day use, and open for campers only. That knocks out most of the parking spots in that area. I'm not sure how hard they are going to try to prevent people from parking on the shoulder of the highway or off road on the grass. Either way it's going to be hard to find parking there.
Again, most of the traffic will be from LC. If they can't get into Fogarty Creek(as appears the case), I'm betting they will reverse, and go back into Lincoln Beach, vs. going further south toward Depoe Bay, then merging with all the BB/FC traffic, getting back to LC. Whereas, I'm going south, from BB.
I also have a couple of secret spots within Depoe Bay city.

Last edited by wolfdog; 08-20-2017 at 02:11 PM.. Reason: clarity

Old 08-20-2017, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfdog View Post
Again, most of the traffic will be from LC. If they can't get into Fogarty Creek(as appears the case), I'm betting they will reverse, and go back into Lincoln Beach, vs. going further south toward Depoe Bay, then merging with all the BB/FC traffic, getting back to LC. Whereas, I'm going south, from BB.
I also have a couple of secret spots within Depoe Bay city.
We will see. I'm not going to predict what will happen, other than to say it will be chaos. I doubt that people will be able to easily turn around. But the reports today are that traffic on US-101 is relatively light. So maybe it will be OK.

Old 08-20-2017, 03:28 PM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times
I just checked the road cams (ODOT Tripcheck) and traffic in Central Oregon looks normal. There is a backup at Warmsprings, but the travel trailer holding traffic up was clearly visible. South in La Pine, traffic looks lighter than normal.

Air is still smoky just south of Bend

Old 08-20-2017, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I just checked the road cams (ODOT Tripcheck) and traffic in Central Oregon looks normal. There is a backup at Warmsprings, but the travel trailer holding traffic up was clearly visible. South in La Pine, traffic looks lighter than normal.

Air is still smoky just south of Bend
I'm not sure if it is normal or not but TripCheck shows stop and go traffic alerts in both Madras and Redmond since noon.

My gut feeling is the weather on the coast will be fine. But I think I'm going to drive inland anyway. It doesn't seem worth it to take a chance on the coastal weather when the inland weather is almost guaranteed to be clear skys. The only thing that bothers me right now is the smoke issue. I hope i can find a place out of the path of the smoke.

Old 08-20-2017, 04:39 PM

2,542 posts, read 4,001,129 times
Sunday C.O. eclipse update: Traffic flowing, smoke blowing - KTVZ

Quote:
Saturday highway traffic

ODOT reports that traffic on US Highway 97 northbound at Chemult was nearly triple that of the average Saturday in August 2016. US Highway 26 between Warm Spring and Madras had volume more than 50 percent above average for Saturdays in August 2016.

Old 08-20-2017, 05:10 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,632,121 times
From what I can see, traffic around Albany seems average. Not sure about I-5. If traffic starts piling up between now and tomorrow morning, it's not going to make any difference to me. Some neighbors and I are planning to stay home and view it outdoors. We should have a good view depending on the clouds. Right now (about 4:00 PM) clouds are covering the sky virtually no blue sky. About an hour ago, I went out to test my camera and the sky was mostly clear and blue with a few high, thin clouds here and there. Not sure where the cloud cover came from. In the direction of the Cascades, it looks like there are puffy clouds around the western side of the mountains. The forecast for the Mid-Willamette Valley tonight is partly cloudy skies. Tomorrow during the day it's expected to be Sunny Skies. Hope it turns out like that. But even if it doesn't, the change of light between brightness to darkness will still be an impressive experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon