Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 06:44 PM

12 posts, read 54,005 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I'm looking to relocate to the Corvallis/Albany area and am looking for some advice on where to live. I am a 38 yo female, just ending a long term relationship (in other words, I am single hah!), but am not necessarily looking for a "singles" scene - I prefer a quiet lifestyle, however don't really like to be submerged into a "family" atmosphere. I don't want to live near college partiers, but I don't want to live in the suburbs, either. I have 2 dogs, so need a house with a good sized yard. I work in Salem 2-3 days a week, or travel (via air), or work from home. I love the outdoors (hiking, boarding, climbing, etc).

I would also like to continue my Masters Degree, part time of course so would not like to be too far from the university.... I am not adverse to living in the country

Any suggestions...?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 10:04 PM

2,318 posts, read 4,623,220 times
I'll make a pitch for Corvallis. Away from campus there is no distinctive "singles scene", however I know several single people in their 30s and 40s and they don't seem to be lacking friends. I think Corvallis is a bit quieter than Albany--certainly less commercial. Corvallis has a lot of activities for families, but I don't think there is an in-your-face mentality about family. We're pretty live and let live.

There are several neighborhoods that have homes with room for 2 dogs but are not overly suburban feeling. Check out some of the neighborhoods in the flats of NW Corvallis--particularly north of Grant Ave which will get you away from most of the campus influence. I'm thinking of the area bounded by 29th Street on the west, Walnut on the north, 9th Street on the east and Grant on the south. Use Google maps or another website to look this area up. These aren't the newest homes, but they are pretty nice nonetheless.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:10 AM

Exactly what I was looking for - thank you so much!!!!

Old 02-13-2008, 10:14 AM

2,318 posts, read 4,623,220 times
You're welcome. If you have any other questions, go ahead and post. There are a few others on these boards that know a thing or two about the Corvallis/Albany area and may give you a different perspective.

Old 02-13-2008, 03:16 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,372,008 times
I live in Albany in a newer development. As long as you stay away from the apartments and the immediate area around the university, you should be fine.

The neighborhood where I live is good for families and singles alike. I have a lady in her 60's behind me, and a couple in their 50's next to me. There's a park and a lot of walking nearby. Also good acccess to the freeway.

My house is actually up for sale, 3 bedroom 2.5 bath if you're interested.

May be a bit big for you though.

Old 02-14-2008, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
I live in Albany in a newer development. As long as you stay away from the apartments and the immediate area around the university, you should be fine.

The neighborhood where I live is good for families and singles alike. I have a lady in her 60's behind me, and a couple in their 50's next to me. There's a park and a lot of walking nearby. Also good acccess to the freeway.

My house is actually up for sale, 3 bedroom 2.5 bath if you're interested.

May be a bit big for you though.
Yeah, that's a bit bigger than I was looking for, I am moving out of that size house right now that I share with my boyfriend...sounds nice though, too bad you have to leave.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:15 AM

1,180 posts, read 2,372,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skygal12 View Post
Yeah, that's a bit bigger than I was looking for, I am moving out of that size house right now that I share with my boyfriend...sounds nice though, too bad you have to leave.
The developer also has smaller, 2 bedroom houses that are going for well under $200k now. They're nicely finished too.

Last time I was actually looking, there was one for sale for $170.

Old 02-18-2008, 02:10 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,045,748 times
check this out.....this is part of a little blurb in todays paper...

Corvallis Ranked Among Smartest Spots In Nation

"CORVALLIS, Ore. - Corvallis ranked fifth on a list of "America's Smartest Cities" compiled by Forbes online magazine.

Forbes used data compiled by Sperling's Best Places, a Portland company that compared cities in the United States based on the percentage of people ages 25 and older with at least a bachelor's degree.

The study found more than 93 percent of Corvallis residents had graduated from high school and nearly 48 percent have a bachelor's degree or higher.

It also found that almost six percent of Corvallis residents have a Ph.D. And about two percent have a professional degree, required for doctors, attorneys and architects.

A common theme among cities chosen is that they are largely college towns with universities driving the education level of residents higher than most."

Old 03-13-2008, 10:13 PM

11 posts, read 35,173 times
Check out the Lexington Estates area or the Lehigh area in SE Albany. There are retirees, single folks and families. Close to everything -- just blocks away; you can walk to banks, stores, movie theaters, Dutch Bros, etc. Good place to check out would be the East of I-5 of Albany, lots of developments going up out there with nice apt/townhouses, brand new. There is virtually no traffic here in town. I've been in the Beaverton area and now THAT's traffic! LOL!

Old 03-25-2008, 11:40 AM

540 posts, read 2,173,280 times
skygal
I've lived in Albany for over 6 years. We moved here from Hawaii when I got a position at Oregon State.

Both Corvallis and Albany can be great places to live...both have a lot to offer (and many of the comments above reflect that). I was working at OSU and we chose to live in Albany because it was (and is) significantly more affordable.

Median sale price right now in Albany is around $200K and for that, you can get something in a nice newer subdivision or an older more established neighborhood (lots tend to be a little bigger in the older neighorhoods). Lots availalbe for less...plenty for more.
More rural sound better? Check out Tangent or Millersburg, or perhaps North Albany - lots tend to run larger there as well. All are an easy commute to Corvallis for your degree work.
As an alumni of the College of Business (MBA) program, I'd be happy to give you any info...I really enjoyed the school and the faculty in the 4 years I spent there (I was a part-time student, full-time faculty...so it took me 4 years to finish a 1 year program! ) I would say that OSU has a great reputation for some programs, and for others, you may be better off at U of O or another school. Which Master's program are you interested in pursuing?

Albany also offers lots of opportunities for community involvement - great local Rotary club(s), concert programs (River Rhythms, Mondays at Monteith, etc...), Soroptimists, etc...

And I have to agree with Hawaiigirl87...Dutch Bros is some good coffee (I just finished an Irish Latte a few minutes ago!)

All the best with your move.

DavePautsch
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon