Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 02:37 PM

958 posts, read 1,147,153 times

Advertisements

"And yes, Pendleton would be better."

-How so? Pendleton seems sketchy and kind of rundown to me. Hermiston did not impress either. LaGrande and surrounding region seem much more pleasant to me. I get the "far away" aspect, but lots of people drive from Eastern Oregon to Boise area for big shopping. Also, driving from Pendleton to LaGrande over that pass in the winter would be HORRIBLE, as others have pointed out.

Also, after re-reading OP's post, I realize where things went wrong "All of the local realtors I talked to kept emphasizing that it's a "college town" and so I thought there would be plenty of housing availability."

No, you should have taken the exact opposite message from that: because it's a college town, apartments and low-cost houses for rent are in high demand, except when the students leave. And college students don't always have the best track records for keeping their pets clean and under control, which I bet is why you are having a hard time finding pet-friendly rentals.

Good luck, on the bright side, you're moving to one of the most beautiful and largely unspoiled places left in America!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2016, 05:09 PM

1,588 posts, read 2,531,261 times
I misread what the OP was saying regarding Pendleton.

If the job is only in La Grande than the OP needs to live somewhere in the Grande Ronde valley, either La Grande, Island City, Cove or Elgin.

I know UP has a large yard in Hermiston. Personally, if I had the choice I'd choose that over LaGrande. Sunnier warmer, less snow, cheaper housing, closer to a large city. And yes Hermiston is ugly compared to La Grande, but all the beauty is just an hour and a half away.

Of course, living in Syracuse... La Grande will seem tropical so OP is probably not afraid of that.

As the real estate professionals were saying about timing early summer is the best time to look for a place in La Grande.

Old 01-16-2016, 11:35 AM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyAMG View Post
........that's going to be an adjustment. I honestly think you will hate it.......
There is nothing wrong with La Grande. OP might have to adjust her hobbies a little bit, but the area has wonderful outdoor activities and scenery. There is nothing wrong with lots if fresh air and the outdoors.

It's not like La grande is located on the moon. There are decent size cities close by if OP wants some more sophisticated shopping.

The best way to find friends in Oregon is to join hiking or walking clubs, or the local gardening club. There is a very tight and friendly community of fishermen, if anyone in the family likes to fish.

You can't do much better for landscape photography if photography or painting is your hobby.

OP, embrace the difference and you will discover that you love the place. Best luck to you.

Old 01-16-2016, 12:03 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,678,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
There is nothing wrong with La Grande. OP might have to adjust her hobbies a little bit, but the area has wonderful outdoor activities and scenery. There is nothing wrong with lots if fresh air and the outdoors.

It's not like La grande is located on the moon. There are decent size cities close by if OP wants some more sophisticated shopping.

The best way to find friends in Oregon is to join hiking or walking clubs, or the local gardening club. There is a very tight and friendly community of fishermen, if anyone in the family likes to fish.

You can't do much better for landscape photography if photography or painting is your hobby.

OP, embrace the difference and you will discover that you love the place. Best luck to you.
Yes, the Grande Ronde River is a fisherman's dream, and it's right there. Just walk over to it and drown a worm.

Old 01-17-2016, 01:42 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,634,216 times
When the water levels are up, there is usually pretty good fishing at Brownlee Res.....crappie, catfish, bass, etc....

Owyhee crappie fishing is good also...

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=Owyhee+crappie

Only keep a few that you will be eating with your family. Release the rest so they will grow & someone else will have FUn catching them.

Last edited by Hawk J; 01-17-2016 at 01:55 PM..

Old 01-18-2016, 02:41 PM

3 posts, read 13,419 times
Well we will be here in a week and have found a few prospects on Craigslist that we have appts. to view in person. I hope we can find something, because buying is NOT an option for the moment.

I saw that someone asked why my husband couldn't get transferred somewhere else? It's not like he had a choice, this is a new job and when we've never been to the area, who are we to demand another relocation from a new boss? Does not seem professional at all.

Also, everyone is again telling us that this is the worst time to be looking for a place. But like I've said, my husband doesn't have a choice in the matter, his job starts when his job starts. We have been told that leasing a temporary apartment month-to-month would be best until a bigger place opens up, if we have no other options

Also, we love all of our pets dearly and cannot fathom re homing them. I suppose I could try applying to some of these properties that are listed as "no pets" and hope for the best

Sorry, this is just very frustrating. I'm anxious about moving and hoping I like this new place and worried about not finding a place for us. I'm so glad my daughter is helping me on our behalf

Old 01-28-2016, 10:59 PM

1 posts, read 3,158 times
I have lived in a number of states and always had pets. La Grande is the worst place I've lived for allowing renters to have pets. I have found I needed to live in Cove, Union, Elgin, Summerville or another of the outlying areas in the county in order to find a rental home. Commute is between 20-30 minutes into La Grande. The housing stock in La Grande is old and unattractive as the city sees virtually no growth. Island City has some new housing but it is very windy a good portion of the year. You are already looking at all the places I use to find housing. The pickings are slim and the housing depressing.

Old 03-30-2016, 03:22 PM

48 posts, read 80,031 times
I am curious how the OP did, I am wanting to move to the la grande area. I used to live in Hermiston for about 15 years and know la grande fairly well. I will actually be traveling through there this weekend and have a job interview.

there are quite a few of the UPRR guys that work out of la grande for a week at a time and live in Hermiston.

Old 05-05-2016, 11:33 AM

35 posts, read 137,687 times
I've lived in La Grande for nine years and I love it. If you are retired (I am) or have a decent job, I think it is a wonderful place to live. Yes, there are times I wish there was more to do and a better selection of restaurants but overall it's a nice place to live. The people are friendly and the scenery can't be beat.

Birdseyeview62 - were you able to find a suitable rental?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon