Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2007, 12:35 PM

7 posts, read 18,974 times

Advertisements

Well, for a few years now, my wife and I have been considering moving out of overpopulated state (Colorado). We are a young couple with a 2yr old son and just dont fit in around here. We have been looking for a small town with old fashioned values and feel. Originally, we were looking at one of the towns around Medford until I started reading more about Coos Bay. Im trying to make sure its a town that will fit us. I have never been to Coos Bay or Medford and live 1300 miles away, so I want to learn as much about the two areas as possible.

Tell me what you think are the pros and cons of both Coos Bay and some of the towns around Medford (ie: Grant Pass).. I know they are very different, but I want to make sure Coos Bay is the better option.

Thanks

Sam
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2007, 04:15 PM

17 posts, read 65,145 times
I have a question about the Coos Bay area also, how far is from Coos Bay, or North Bend to the dunes where you can run sand rails? and how much of the beach is for riding? Been a long time since I drove thru there.Thanks

Old 12-31-2007, 08:37 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,060,081 times
well, im not sure what sand rails are, but the dunes for riding are right after you come over the bridge, and go on for miles and miles. Thats where everyone goes out w/their ATVS/ORVs. Up about 40min. is Dune City (just south of Florance) and they have dune buggy rides and stuff there......

We moved here when my kids were 1, 5, and 9. For us, its been a terrific place to raise kids. Theres some really terrific stuff for them to do out here. A really great parent and me gymnastics class program at the local boys and girls club, (and that goes up through the upper levels of competative gymnastics too!) dance programs that start when they are 3, story time at the local libraries, music time programs, church groups, and stuff like that.......
plus, theres the beaches, lots of parks (most the kids adore Mingus park and Ferry street park the best) places to take em hiking, different festivals throughout the year, local live theater, and stuff like that.....
you cant beat the fresh seafood!! I love to go down on the docks, go to the local crabshack, pick out my live crab and sit back, watch the boats come in/out, the seals right there in front of me, and yap w/the locals while the guy cleans/cooks my crab.
its not such a touristy town, so its not like we're totally overrun w/tourists during the summertime. Especially if you go somewhere besides Sunset Bay.
Shore Acres...wow.....youtube it, you'll see what i mean..
almost everyone ive met over the last 5yrs have been friendly and helpful. We've made lots of new friends, both newbies from other states, and those who have been here for generations.
if you like hiking,fishing, kayaking, camping, stuff like that, you wont get bored here. Well, you might for a few months if you cant do any of that when its wet outside...lol
Its very mild weather....

umm, downsides,
well, theres not much for shopping here.....it does rain more here along the coast than it does inland, (although today was just beautiful!!!)
along 101 isnt very pretty....
theres no Applebees or Olive Garden..
theres a few thoughts to start ya.....
Ask away, but I may be biased in my answers, cuz i love living here.
Tiff

Old 12-31-2007, 08:46 PM

17 posts, read 65,145 times
Thanks for the info, Sounds like a nice little place like I said it's been years since I was thru there, I think I was still a kid remember the sand dunes tho, where thinking about coming that way for a vacation.

Old 01-01-2008, 11:24 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,244,072 times
In reference to the Sand Dunes -- About one mile north of the big green bridge, take a left and head for Horsfall Beach. The riding dunes extend from there north to Florence. There are other accesses along Hwy 101 but personally, I think Horsfall is the best. (It's a Federal Northwest Recreation Area so you'll need a daily Pass and if you're entering the sand you'll also need the orange flag and an Oregon ATV permit and this IS enforced). For riding, Florence is mostly just trails. Winchester Bay is the huge sand dune hills and cliffs. Horsfall area with Boxcar Hill, has it all. Trails, dune hills, bowls, ocean beachfront riding, and lots of people in the area to 'tag-a-long' with. You can't ride the coastline continuously straight north though to Florence though because of rivers and waterways and protected Snowy Plover Birds nesting areas and such but you can ride North Bend area north to Lakeside and then re-enter the Dunes again just north. If you're planning your summer vacation, keep in mind that August is the Dunefest at Winchester Bay and this year, the original Dunesfest is returning to North Bend/Coos Bay area in July. So, lol, my question to you is, if you own a sand rail, why aren't you up here already! lol.

Old 01-01-2008, 06:50 PM

840 posts, read 6,521,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehuskybear View Post
Well, for a few years now, my wife and I have been considering moving out of overpopulated state (Colorado). We are a young couple with a 2yr old son and just dont fit in around here. We have been looking for a small town with old fashioned values and feel. Originally, we were looking at one of the towns around Medford until I started reading more about Coos Bay. Im trying to make sure its a town that will fit us. I have never been to Coos Bay or Medford and live 1300 miles away, so I want to learn as much about the two areas as possible.

Tell me what you think are the pros and cons of both Coos Bay and some of the towns around Medford (ie: Grant Pass).. I know they are very different, but I want to make sure Coos Bay is the better option.

Thanks

Sam
I don't think Colorado is overpopulated. I'd rather live there than in Oregon.

Anyway, I don't think you'll get "old fashioned values" anywhere these days. Coos Bay has more of a retirement feel than anything. Coos Bay was nice until it rained, and rained, and rained... it just never stopped. It got depressing and you really don't want to go anywhere because the streets get flooded quickly.

Old 01-01-2008, 07:31 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,060,081 times
Just my opinion, but you can raise your kids with the "old fashioned values" where ever you live. It all starts and ends at home. My husband and I are very protective and we always put our kids first. Even to taking jobs that didnt pay as much so that we could be the ones raising our kids, rather than have them in daycare. We're very involved in their lives and are a very close family, so our kids are being raised w/us being able to install our morals/values upon them.
We've found plenty of activities for our kids out here that we can be involved in and/or support. Our 6yr old does competative gymnastics, our 9yr old plays soccer, and our 13yr old does local theater. and we all cheer each other on. We went hiking this weekend, it didnt rain. Not that its going to be sunny each day here along the beach, but come on, it doesn rain every day either! We've met many other families here, and made fast friends with several. We find the kids less....well....fast here in the middle schools then we did up in the Portland area, much less what I hear from my dear friend in Houston with a daughter the same age as mine! the schools are smaller so they get more individual attention, my daughters kg class only has 15kids in it!!! Compared to my older daughters of 35 in Tigard, and she had to have a spanish interperator in her class because there were so many kids there that didtn speak much english.
the medical care here, i was sooooo apphrehensive about! We came from a pediatrician who had a 6yr waiting list!!! And was a HIGHLY respected pediatrician! Dont get me wrong, we loved him and he is a wonderful Dr, but guess what? here, when my kids have gone in, i am amazed at the time spent with the Dr.!!! We spend maybe 5 min waiting, then the office visit has never been rushed! Typically, they spend plenty of time checking my kids out, then talking to THEM, then to me. then AFTER that, they take the time to visit w/my child! wow!! We didnt get THAT in Portland!!!! Nor the calls to home to check on my child! WOW!!!
To the pet store who made a arrangement for payments a few years back when we fell in love w/a puppy they had. No interest, no added fees, they let us take him home that day and make the payments!!
I really love living here. I find the people wonderful for the most part, and its bull that you cant go anywhere due to flooding. Only a few days during the year will certain areas flood down in the floodplains usually. Of course, 2yrs ago, main street did have some flooding, some buisnesses were damaged, but it was down and gone again within 2days. It was no New Orleans!!!
BTW, it was a pretty darn nice day today too! my kids were outside bike riding and rollerskating. Except when they stopped off at the neighbors down the end of the road to be fed Christmas cookies!
tiffany
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon