Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 04:11 PM

927 posts, read 1,955,588 times

Advertisements

I still live in Corvallis and I have not noticed any trend toward louder and "bass-er" stereos either in cars or in dorms. There are a few jacka$$es who pump up the volume but they are few and far between, even on and near campus.

You are a lot more likely to be disturbed by lawnmowers, street sweepers and loud parties than car stereos.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2013, 12:34 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FVWinters View Post
I still live in Corvallis and I have not noticed any trend toward louder and "bass-er" stereos either in cars or in dorms. There are a few jacka$$es who pump up the volume but they are few and far between, even on and near campus.

You are a lot more likely to be disturbed by lawnmowers, street sweepers and loud parties than car stereos.....
Don't forget the garbage trucks.

Seriously though, Corvallis is shockingly quiet for a college town. I can't recall loud stereos ever being an issue when I lived there 2009 - 2013. The only noises that irritated me were the garbage trucks on occasion and the leaf blowers that for some reason never seem to stop, even when there are no leaves to be blown.

Old 10-25-2013, 10:51 AM

15,620 posts, read 40,642,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
and the leaf blowers that for some reason never seem to stop, even when there are no leaves to be blown.
Fir needles. They drop year round.

Old 10-25-2013, 07:35 PM

70 posts, read 104,282 times
True story: In 1976, I was working graveyard shift, sleeping during the day while kids went to school. Suddenly, there was an epidemic of loud stereos originating from a high school two blocks away. They beat me out of bed as they charged to and from the school at lunch and again after school. After complaints to the police did no good, I took matters into my own hands. Not recommended, but I stopped the cars at the intersection by signaling that I wanted to talk to them but the music was too loud. At first I tried to reason with the kids but just got fingered in response. So, I then stopped a car, reached through the open window turned off the engine and proceeded to pull the speakers out of the car and throw them on the street. I then told the kid that I was a crazy Vietnam Vet, and that the booming stereos may cause me to hurt someone. I got visited by the police, but the booming stopped. I lived there for 35 more years without any problems, altho once in a while I had to call the police and remind them of my condition.

Old 10-26-2013, 10:28 AM

17,665 posts, read 22,766,354 times
Here in the mountains, sometimes I may hear a pinecone hit the ground......

Old 10-26-2013, 11:07 AM

1,620 posts, read 2,314,200 times
Those pesky pinecones!

Old 10-26-2013, 01:34 PM

32,790 posts, read 48,595,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
Here in the mountains, sometimes I may hear a pinecone hit the ground......
Yeah, darn things. Every time one hits the ground, it makes my dog bark. Idiot dogs.

Old 12-26-2013, 03:08 PM

158 posts, read 518,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturelovers View Post
As a realtor and as perspective buyer where is the problem the least an issue, since as I stated we were treated to it Albany as well, Medford as well.
Lewisberg? Anywhere rural? In FL rural it was awful!
Thanks
Just exactly what is your expectation of young, post teen kids?? The fact that you lived there and tolerated it twenty years ago, says it all. You, my friend, have grown past all this foolishness. These young people will, God willing, grow past foolishness, in time.

Old 12-26-2013, 04:14 PM

15,290 posts, read 17,788,180 times
With the prevalence of mp3 devices, most kids don't even own stereos any more. Things have really quieted down in the last 20 years.

Old 12-26-2013, 06:33 PM

780 posts, read 1,584,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
I was in Corvalllis in 2005 for a whole weekend and didn't hear anything louder than a weed-eater the whole time. I was willing to give you the benfit of the doubt though, a lot could happen in eight years. Until I read through your post history... Your credibility is shot down in flames NL. I'm serious, what's really going on here?
Good catch. The OP has vented about this in relation to Sarasota, Orlando, Prescott, Santa Fe, Albuquerque, and now Corvallis. Not sure if he/she is ever going to find the quiet they are looking for w/o moving to the middle of the Yukon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon