Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 12:37 PM

1,396 posts, read 1,188,236 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give me information about Klamath Falls? I had heard there is alot of gang activity & not a safe place to live. What about areas outside of there? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2006, 10:02 PM

331 posts, read 1,850,214 times
Crime in Klamath Falls is 9% below the national average. Chances are good you would not be residing in a high crime area. Most crime is centered around less affluent areas. After my recent visit to Oregon, I did not feel my safety was in question at any time. In addition, most of your property is insured via homeowers or auto. If you choose to live in the nicer areas, crime should not be a significent factor in your decision to move to KF. You can see the statistics for yourself here:

https://www.city-data.com/city/Klamath-Falls-Oregon.html

Dan

Old 10-14-2006, 12:46 PM

1,396 posts, read 1,188,236 times
Wink Kf

Thanks, for the info. I didn't even want to plan a trip there if crime was a problem. Even though I believe drugs and crime is something we won't be able to escape much anymore. But, some places tend to have more than others. Just finding Oregon very interesting.

Old 10-15-2006, 12:35 AM

1,217 posts, read 4,032,469 times
I am not familiar with any gang activity in Klamath Falls. I was just there over Labor Day Weekend and was mightily impressed with what's going on. The city is definitely up-and-coming. I think that if you relocate there, you will witness tremendous change in the next ten years. It's the next Bend, if that means anything to you.

K-Falls as we Oregonians call it, is transforming itself from a timber and agricultural community to a service, tourist and high tech center. It's home to Oregon Technical Institute which has a sterling reputation and that has helped the town attract a certain number of small high tech companies. In addition, Jeld-Wen, the largest privately owned company in Oregon is based in K-Falls and has opened a HUGE destination resort that is populated mostly by Californians. Although, I saw a large number of people from all over the country--Virginia, Ohio, Minnesota, Washington, etc. These sorts of developments are helping to put K-Falls on the map.

The city is progressive in that they want growth and development because for decades they suffered from the decline of the timber industry. They are on their way now and will most likely continue on an upward trajectory. There's 40,000 people in the immediate area so it's decent-sized without being truly crowded and it's just gorgeous around there.

As for development, you probably don't have to worry about it being over-developed as Oregon has very stringent land use laws designed to protect farmland and forests and rivers. I don't know where you're coming from, but we protect our environment here.

Hope this helps. Welcome to Oregon.

Old 07-04-2007, 03:14 AM

2 posts, read 22,002 times
Default Lots of Police

On my last couple of visits to Klamath I was really impressed at how many law officers were always visable. I'm from Central California and you have to wait hours for a policeman to show up. It made me feel very safe. I also thought the people in Klamath were very friendly. But, I did notice very few minorities working in retail establishments.(I'm taking population ratio into consideration) Being a minority myself I'm worried about obtaining employment when I move there. I hope thats not the case. Is it?

Old 07-04-2007, 09:49 AM

840 posts, read 6,514,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildberries61 View Post
Can anyone give me information about Klamath Falls? I had heard there is alot of gang activity & not a safe place to live. What about areas outside of there? Thanks
LOL
Gang activity in Klamath Falls? Not safe? There are no gangs and the town has very little crime. I'm originally from Southern California and Klamath Falls is a joke. Folks here (in Klamath) like to exaggerate. I've gotten a chance to talk with an ex-cop from Klamath and he said there are no gangs, all the kids are wannabe's and I have to agree. You'll see Sur-13 taggings, but that's about as bad as it gets. Actually, the graffiti is much better on the trains than the kids who do them here. Crime is low. The town is safe enough to walk around in the middle of the night and I've done it before.

I don't know where or who told you there's gang activity and Klamath is not safe... I wouldn't be surprised if it came from a native of Klamath Falls.

Old 07-04-2007, 11:18 AM

1,457 posts, read 6,029,082 times
I'd expect to see gangs in Klamath Falls as much as in Anchorage Alaska.

Even Portland is not much of a gang town even though its got a few of them. And its quite big.

Old 07-04-2007, 11:45 AM

840 posts, read 6,514,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvaden View Post
I'd expect to see gangs in Klamath Falls as much as in Anchorage Alaska.

Even Portland is not much of a gang town even though its got a few of them. And its quite big.
Anchorage actually has some gang activity but not a whole lot. Portland is a bigger city so you have to kind of expect they have a few.

You got a better chance of finding Klamath's 'Falls' than you do finding an actual gang here.

Old 07-04-2007, 12:02 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildberries61 View Post
Wherever you are getting your information, get it somewhere else.

Old 07-09-2007, 09:21 AM

16 posts, read 82,046 times
I grew up in KFalls. I agree there are no gangs there. That is crazy. There is more there now than when I grew up. I left and moved away at 20 years old. I couldn't move back unless there was more to do there. So far, that hasn't happened. I visit every once in a while to see my parents. They will never leave. My dad likes the smaller population. Even Medford has too much traffic for him. He's an old grouchy guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon