Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2006, 07:10 AM
rsr rsr started this thread

10 posts, read 48,721 times

Advertisements

I am an American college instructor in Japan. I will be retiring in the near future. One of my daughters married an Oregonian and lives in Hillsboro. I don't want to live very near to them plus my wife has a difficult time with rainy areas (We lived in Maryville, WA for one year and she was depressed most of the time due to the overcast and rain). We want to be able to see our first grandchild sometimes but not as baby sitters. Looking at the map, I noticed the towns of Warm Springs and Odell which seems not so far from Portland and is on the other side of the Cascades. How is the weather? Property taxes (we will be living on retirement and social security payments)?
Land for sale(my uncle in Goldendale, WA owns a company building modular homes and will build one for me if it is not far from the Gorge)? I am also thinking about Sprague River, OR. If anyone can kindly share information about these 3 locations or other similiar towns in OR will be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2006, 08:15 AM

331 posts, read 1,850,798 times
Here is a link that should answer some of your questions.

https://www.city-data.com/city/Oregon2.html

It can be windy in that neck of the woods along with long periods of cloud cover and rain. You do have an option and that is to make this area your summer home and winter in California, Nevada, or Arizona.

Dan

Old 09-29-2006, 05:18 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,855,329 times
Warm Springs is on an Indian Reservation. I don't know about the rules for other people living there.

Odell is out in the woods and going up in elevation towards Mt. Hood. It's a very small outback kind of place so it's going to depend on the lifestyle you are looking for. They do get snow and cold there.

You may want to consider somewhere right along the Columbia Gorge. Whatever you decide be careful about buying in Wasco county as the property taxes are high there(probably the highest in the state).

Old 09-29-2006, 08:59 PM
rsr rsr started this thread

10 posts, read 48,721 times
Default Warm Springs and Odell, Oregon?

Thank you Clear2land (Dan) and Waterlily for the info about these two places. I don't mind some snow. I would like to live in the same place throughout the whole year by doing some reading, fishing and light hiking. I especially appreciated the info about taxes being high in Wasco County.

Old 01-02-2008, 12:32 PM

1 posts, read 4,399 times
Default College instructor in Japan

Which college? I attended Sophia University in Tokyo on the GI Bill and enjoyed our time there tremendously. Of course, that was during the Vietnam War and I understand things have changed. Two of my sons have returned to look things over in the meantime.

Where did you end up moving?

Cheerio

Old 01-08-2008, 08:52 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Odell can get some serious orchard spray and smudge pots, so be prepared to accept that.

You might consider some towns in WA along the gorge, as it is tough to get out of rain and not into WASCO cty. The very east side of HR county would be my choice. I would not consider Warm Springs, as your commute would be over Hwy 26, it is not too safe, or ez.

The gorge is usually pretty ez, with the exception of tonight ~ 8" snow...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon