Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 07:34 AM

11 posts, read 50,605 times

Advertisements

Hi!

We're from Toledo, OH. My husband has an offer on both Hillsboro, OH and Roseburg, OR (both small towns). Both offers are great but we're confused on which place would be better to raise a family(we have a 10-month-old baby). (better public school system, area, diversity etc...)

Any inputs/infos about the place would be much appreciated!

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2007, 05:20 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,853,238 times
Hillsboro is an outlying suburb of Portland. It's going to be more of a big city life but the schools are likely to be better.
Roseburg is small city life with a large retirement population there. The weather would be nicer with more sun in Roseburg.

Old 10-02-2007, 05:50 PM

11 posts, read 33,221 times
was that hillsboro oregon or ohio? my grandparents had a ranch in roseburg-it's a small quaint farming community. lots of sun and quiet. if you are talking about hillsboro oregon-in one word "suburbia."

Old 10-04-2007, 10:21 AM

2 posts, read 8,236 times
Default West Linn is the place to move to

West Linn is the place to move to!

Old 10-04-2007, 02:03 PM

11 posts, read 50,605 times
Thanks a lot!

I was referring to Hillsboro, OHIO.

Old 10-05-2007, 05:50 PM

7 posts, read 29,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by docmarqui View Post
Thanks a lot!

I was referring to Hillsboro, OHIO.
i am not too familiar with the schools in roseburg, but keep in mind that Roseburg is a logging town, and i think traditionally, they haven't had much use for education. I know they have a really strong football team, though... called the lumberjacks or something.

Old 10-05-2007, 06:21 PM

139 posts, read 530,177 times
If you enjoy large Hispanic populations, you'll love Hillsboro.

Old 10-05-2007, 08:44 PM

1,217 posts, read 4,032,676 times
I think it's highly disingenuous to suggest that Roseburg doesn't think much of education. I don't know where such a stupid comment came from.

Roseburg has about 21000 people. It's relatively small; I would think that your children would get a very good education there. You can expect it to be almost totally white, probably no African-Americans, few Asians or hispanics. That can be good or bad, depending on your perspective. I would think that Roseburg would be a wonderful place to raise kids because, as a small town, it has magnificent outdoor opportunities. Remember, though, that as a small town, it will have less to offer culturally, culinarily and socially.

Old 10-06-2007, 12:13 AM

112 posts, read 716,427 times
Exclamation Roseburg Schools

First off, let me start by saying that I'm not a native Oregonian, but I did move here as a kid, and have lived in Oregon most of my life, to include all my education. I attended K-12 in Roseburg, as well as a college degree. Roseburg has a population of about 21K as previously mentioned, but if you include the surrounding areas that aren't within "city limits" the population is closer to 45,000. The schools are very good with a lower drop out rate than you'd find in larger Oregon cities. When I graduated in 2000, a large majority of the graduating class of over 400 students were college bound, and many were scholarship recipients, being awarded that financial aid over areas that are more "interested" in education. I can't remember the quote about Roseburg's lack of education, but it was something to that effect, and I can tell you that's not true. Nor is the lumberjack mascot. That comment was written by someone who knew that Douglas county is a major supplier of wood products, and simply assumed incorrectly about the state of education because of lack of knowledge. You're going to encounter idiots where ever you go, Roseburg is not immune to that fact, but I don't believe that living in close proximity to trees has a negative effect on IQ.

Old 12-13-2007, 11:01 AM

1 posts, read 3,377 times
It sounds as though Roseburg and Hillsboro are about the same as far as population. I do not know roseburg but Hillsboro is a nice friendly community with a layed back pace and a large farming community. When you consider ethier place you should look at the smaller communities surrounding Hillsboro such as Leesburg, New Vienna, Greenfield and many more. We are also within a 1 hour drive of Cincinnati and Columbus (Appx.) soteh culture is available if wanted. I hope you find the right town for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon