Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 03:26 AM

1 posts, read 3,468 times

Advertisements

Hello all. In May 2007, my wife & I are considering a move from Utah to Lincoln County, OR. At the same time at least 2 other families with be moving there as well. We are a bit of an eclectic group and are looking for a bit less shunning in our daily lives. I am disabled, and one of the families moving with us is an interracial married couple, (Black/White), the other family is a mother who has an autistic son. There is the possibility that one other family may be moving with us as well, and it consists of a mid 20's white female and her 3 yr old African-American/White mixed race daughter. We are all either Pagans or Atheists and have had a difficult time living in the predominantly Mormon area of Utah that we are currently in.

So, my question is, is there any place on the coast, preferably Lincoln County, you would personally recommend?

Regards
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2006, 07:32 AM

331 posts, read 1,851,357 times
I don't think you are going to get a lot of answers here on the forum for fear of being labeled racist. Based on another family situation similar to yours that I have first hand knowledge of and knowing all I know about Oregon and Utah, I think you are better off staying in Utah.

Old 09-14-2006, 08:07 AM

2,091 posts, read 9,051,201 times
Now, im absolutly not trying to be rude or anything, but are you moving as a entire "family unit" or just each family on their own, just at the same time? Ive seen/met/known several interracial couples and I dont think they really stand out here or anything. At least not that Ive noticed. Of course, it could just be that since Im not directly involved I dont see it. And I really dont think there would be any problems w/anyones disability. And most Oregonians dont really give a rip about who/what/if you practice religion. As long as noone comes to harm that is. Keep in mind though, no matter where you go, there will always be somebody who is going to be against you. No matter WHAT color/religion/marriage/abilities/etc. you are/have.
As with anyone, I again, fully suggest a visit here before any decisions were to be made.
Good luck,
Tiffany

Old 09-14-2006, 12:44 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,471,499 times
I'm curious what the attraction to Lincoln County is. Are you all retired? I would think Portland, Eugene, Corvallis and Ashland would be at the top of your list if you need to have jobs in a progressive community.

Old 09-23-2006, 01:46 AM

43 posts, read 346,368 times
Eugene would be a great choice for you. It is generally a liberal place, a political attitude more like places in California and I bet you will feel much more welcome than just about any place in Utah. We're only an hour from the beach too.

Old 09-29-2006, 09:54 PM

1 posts, read 3,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clear2land View Post
I don't think you are going to get a lot of answers here on the forum for fear of being labeled racist. Based on another family situation similar to yours that I have first hand knowledge of and knowing all I know about Oregon and Utah, I think you are better off staying in Utah.
I couldn't disagree more. We bought a place in the coastal community in Waldport (between Florence & Newport) 4 yrs ago and have found the neighborhood and the local towns to be very tolerant of all kinds of folk ..downright friendly actually. We're a gay couple and plan on retiring full time there next year. We've never felt unwelcome. The community in which we live is made up of all kinds of people. I don't think you'd have a problem in this area. ....

I lived in the San Francisco / Berkeley areas of CA for many years and even found idiots so there is going to be nutcases where ever you settle. If you like Lincoln County then go for it.

Old 10-15-2006, 02:14 AM

1,217 posts, read 4,034,886 times
Oregon is actually quite tolerant. The people who complain about intolerance tend to be those who wear their political/social/religious/sexual politics on their sleeves. Oregon is quite laissez-faire in that you can live your life as you want and people don't care. But when you start to push your beliefs onto others, they will push back. Just be yourself and live your life. As for religious beliefs, I happen to be a Christian, but Oregon is very tolerant of all types of religious beliefs. Indeed, the Northwest is the most unchurched of all areas in the country and atheism is quite widespread. There should be no problem with your religion and philosophy.

Welcome to Oregon!!!

Old 11-08-2006, 09:42 PM
cc3

5 posts, read 30,853 times
Having lived in utah - and Coosbay ( now in newport) . I do not think you will have much of a problem . as many said not to many people pick on you because of your religious beliefs. However in my 12 years of living there - a think i only saw maybe , um , .............3 african americans. Just something to think about. Eugene as one mentioned may be the right choice. Every race , and religion is there - I think i have even seen some new races and religions if you go to the right areas. just a little joke , well , sort of. hahah

Old 11-08-2006, 10:20 PM

46 posts, read 200,129 times
What does Pagans mean?

Old 11-09-2006, 12:33 PM

346 posts, read 2,141,380 times
Paganism is an older belief system based on the importance of nature. It has so many meanings that there would be NO way to "define" it but it essentially is very similar to being an atheist who believes in the spiritual importance of nature. There are many deities (both male and female) involved in the older religion but they are most likely taken metaphorically. That's the best way I could describe it without going into a novella. Perhaps the original posters could provide insights on their beliefs as Pagans tend to have their own ideas (much like all other religions do) about what Paganism is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon