Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 10:52 PM

639 posts, read 1,599,159 times

Advertisements

I think the main difference between finding a job in Oregon vs. any place else with similar unemployment stats is this: Oregonians will hire other Oregonians over transplants almost every time - regardless of qualifications.

Imagine this; any job you apply for you'll be going up against "Lisa's kid who used to play with the boss' niece back when they lived off Main St." (or someone else who's a close part of the community and who they can get a real recommendation for and not just something you get from theworknumber.com). Do you see what I mean?

It sounds like you still may have a better chance in Oregon than where you live now, but if you already have a job and you give it up to come to Oregon you should be sure to have a back up plan ready or at least a relative who can take you in when the money runs out.

I truly, truly wish you the best of luck and I hope everything works out for you. I'm sure you will like Oregon because it's the most wonderful place. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2011, 09:43 PM

758 posts, read 2,371,888 times
A note about fires in the Coast Range: They are very few-fortunately - and tend to be huge when they do happen. After the series of Tillamook Burns, folks are extremely careful with fire - motorized travel is restricted in summer, no fires are permitted, and these rules are strictly enforced. The history of the Coast Range forests is one of periodic (3-400 year) giant events which clear huge swaths of the forest.
Southern and Central Oregon, and to a lesser extent the Cascades, are the main fire areas. The Coast Range has very few thunderstorms.

Good luck whatever you decide to do. As to being deterred - frankly, if I wanted to move to Oregon, I would move to Portland, as there would be the widest variety of possibilities. The rural areas are in a world of hurt until housing starts pick up or they decide to invest in other industries.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,861 times
How about Seattle? If you prefer ocean views, small town feels and don't mind cool weather and rains. Portland and Seattle are very similiar in terms of weather and tight communities. However, there are more jobs in Seattle and it is located in the Puget Sound. Ocean and lake views are breathtaking. Very strong environment protection acitivities here. Lots, lots of Californian transplants. Shoreline and Lake Forest Park (10 minutes away from Seattle downtown) have an excellent school district. Very familiy oriented and houses are finally affordable. You can have both of ocean and lake views. The best school district is Bellevue, but very expensive to live in. One of my friends who is a teacher in the district said there is a drug problem inspite of excellent academic performances (I don't think it is meth) as most kids are from rich families and have lots of money to buy expensive drugs. Seattle school district is bad unfortunately except for a few ele. schools. I wouldn't recommend south Seattle areas though.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:14 PM

29 posts, read 104,896 times
quilting,
You know, I've thought about Washington ecspecially after learning about Forks from the Twilight movies ( terrible huh?) but Seattle seems like it's way too big for my taste. I like smaller towns just not the small town I live in right now. ha ha! I have heard about a place called Squiem, Wa (spelling?) Do you know anything about that place? Being that all my family is still in Cali I would like to be within a couple hours of them but if I find the right place you never know! Do you know anything about the BLM or Forest Service in Washington? Any suggestions and/or information you have would be helpful, I'm determined to be moved by Christmas of 2012! Well thanks again for the suggestions

Old 05-03-2011, 01:12 PM

Just wanted to let everyone know that I made it to Brookings and it was awesome. You guys live in such a beautiful place (no wonder some of you discourage people from moving there!) We had planned to go further up the Coast but there was no need, Brookings is where it's at. As far as the job scene I was offered one the second day I was there, if only I could have moved right then! Brookings is filled with some of the most friendliest people I've ever meet and what a clean little town! Thank you to everyone who gave me information about your little treasure and I will defiently be coming back but this time to stay

Old 05-03-2011, 05:01 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayley3b View Post
Just wanted to let everyone know that I made it to Brookings and it was awesome. You guys live in such a beautiful place (no wonder some of you discourage people from moving there!) We had planned to go further up the Coast but there was no need, Brookings is where it's at. As far as the job scene I was offered one the second day I was there, if only I could have moved right then! Brookings is filled with some of the most friendliest people I've ever meet and what a clean little town! Thank you to everyone who gave me information about your little treasure and I will defiently be coming back but this time to stay
GRR. I hate when someone says this. These are the very people who are trying to warn potential transplants to be careful and have a plan upon relocation. I do not know anyone who has ever tried to discourage anyone else from living here just because they didn't want to share.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:20 PM

Minervah,
It was a light hearted remark, calm down but if you look at the reply's one in particular was a little bit more then a "careful warning" and I wont name names so please go ahead and look. I'm no dummy and I've said it before I would never move my family somewhere without a plan so when Im asking for information about specific things dont reply if your constantly (once okay but come on) only going to tell me what you view as the negatives of your town. I was also told that if I didn't like my current town I wouldn't like Brookings ha! Where I currently live doesn't even compare to Brookings and as a matter of fact all the negative things that were said about Brookings I found to be completley untrue. I'm so glad I didn't let this negativity keep me from checking things out on my own and thanks again for all the information I was given!!!!

Old 05-03-2011, 09:51 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
Quote:
Minervah,
It was a light hearted remark, calm down but if you look at the reply's one in particular was a little bit more then a "careful warning" and I wont name names so please go ahead and look. I'm no dummy and I've said it before I would never move my family somewhere without a plan so when Im asking for information about specific things dont reply if your constantly (once okay but come on) only going to tell me what you view as the negatives of your town. I was also told that if I didn't like my current town I wouldn't like Brookings ha! Where I currently live doesn't even compare to Brookings and as a matter of fact all the negative things that were said about Brookings I found to be completley untrue. I'm so glad I didn't let this negativity keep me from checking things out on my own and thanks again for all the information I was given!!!!
Oh I figured you were kind of teasing. But sometimes I just have to comment about my so-called "negativity." In the many years I have lived here I have seen so many people move here without a plan. If you look at most of my posts I do encourage people who have a job waiting or enough money to sustain them while they look for one.

It's kind of heart-breaking to see people stuggle and fail because they didn't have a plan. I have seen marriages break up over it. I too am planning to relocate in the future and I want to know the negatives about where I am going. Many people don't.

You appear to know what you are doing and I do wish you luck.

Old 05-06-2011, 10:08 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,336,622 times
Wal-Mart huh ........

Old 05-07-2011, 12:54 AM

1,457 posts, read 6,031,492 times
Quote:
Thanks Fiddlehead for the reply,
That's a bummer there's no BLM station in Brookings! We live in a town twice as small as Brookings in northern California and we have 3 right near us, how can that be?
Because Redwood National and State Parks is to the south, and then there are like the Six Rivers and Siskiyou Rogue River parks to the west / SW.

Bet you can find the work you are looking for though in one way or another. I've seen crews before doing controlled burns around the Oregon Caves national monument, and elsewhere along Highway 199 between Grants Pass, OR< and like Gasquet, CA.

30 minutes south of Brookings is this ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroseinrain View Post
I think the main difference between finding a job in Oregon vs. any place else with similar unemployment stats is this: Oregonians will hire other Oregonians over transplants almost every time - regardless of qualifications. ... snip ... I truly, truly wish you the best of luck and I hope everything works out for you. I'm sure you will like Oregon because it's the most wonderful place. Good luck!
One never knows. At age 19, I got a job my first day in Boise, and had not even thought of living there. It was a vacation. Even got offered housing by a district manager of a company I had never worked for.

Next week, I work in California part-time, offered intermittent work by someone in California. And I'm a Beaverton resident up here in Oregon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon