Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2023, 04:05 PM

8,659 posts, read 3,858,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad debt View Post
You're gatekeeping. Who are you to say what a vacation feels like to someone else?
Point being, folks who live and work in OC are more than likely to vacation elsewhere; OC can really only feel like a vacation ‘every day’ to those who don’t work - yes? Then, perhaps, it would make logical sense. However, that poster clearly indicated her commute ‘was rarely a hassle’.

That said, I’m not ‘gatekeeping’, lol. Obviously, you and Avalon have feelings relative to what has the potential to feel like a vacation ‘every day’; I have mine, and working (whether from home/in an office and/or a different city) is not on my list.:-)

Quote:
That doesn't mean one is a vacation and the other is not.
Actually, it does mean it’s not a vacation as that poster was speaking to what ‘feels like a vacation’ (as opposed to describing any sort of real vacation), per the thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2023, 11:08 AM

1,203 posts, read 667,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Point being, folks who live and work in OC are more than likely to vacation elsewhere; OC can really only feel like a vacation ‘every day’ to those who don’t work - yes? Then, perhaps, it would make logical sense. However, that poster clearly indicated her commute ‘was rarely a hassle’.

That said, I’m not ‘gatekeeping’, lol. Obviously, you and Avalon have feelings relative to what has the potential to feel like a vacation ‘every day’; I have mine, and working (whether from home/in an office and/or a different city) is not on my list.:-)

Actually, it does mean it’s not a vacation as that poster was speaking to what ‘feels like a vacation’ (as opposed to describing any sort of real vacation), per the thread.
But if you worked in a coal mine in some dumpster town in West Virginia then looking at someone working out of a tower in Fashion Island with views of the pacific and occasional work events at Disneyland certainly could feel like a vacation.

Old 07-26-2023, 11:49 AM

6,789 posts, read 4,230,123 times
Quote:
But if you worked in a coal mine in some dumpster town in West Virginia then looking at someone working out of a tower in Fashion Island with views of the pacific and occasional work events at Disneyland certainly could feel like a vacation.

Isn't that 'dumpster town' in West Virginia likely in a scenic landscape of rolling hills and mountains that plenty of folks from the Northeast go to vacation in? They could say "hey I may work in a mine but I get to look at these views every day and every day feels like a vacation as a result".

And does everyone in Orange County have a pleasant job? Presumably someone has to clean the toilets and empty the bins in Fashion Island as well. Is life a never-ending vacation for them?

Sounds to me like that if anything makes the case that it highly depends on what you actually do during the day more so than where you're physically based.

Old 07-26-2023, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
Isn't that 'dumpster town' in West Virginia likely in a scenic landscape of rolling hills and mountains that plenty of folks from the Northeast go to vacation in? They could say "hey I may work in a mine but I get to look at these views every day and every day feels like a vacation as a result".

And does everyone in Orange County have a pleasant job? Presumably someone has to clean the toilets and empty the bins in Fashion Island as well. Is life a never-ending vacation for them?

Sounds to me like that if anything makes the case that it highly depends on what you actually do during the day more so than where you're physically based.
I think being a lifeguard at a beach in OC year round would be much more pleasant than at a lake in Saskatchewan in the middle of February.

Old 07-26-2023, 06:41 PM

14,302 posts, read 11,684,342 times
Quote:
I think being a lifeguard at a beach in OC year round would be much more pleasant than at a lake in Saskatchewan in the middle of February.
Yeah…but lifeguards aren’t on duty all year round in OC either. It’s a summer job.

Old 07-27-2023, 09:23 PM

5,587 posts, read 8,401,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Too funny. How does the change in your office environment (or shoes, lol) translate to you feeling as though you’re on vacation every day?

Point being, you’re still going to work. Only folks who don’t live/work in an area can feel as though they are on vacation every day; hence, from my perspective, the thread is amusing/nonsensical. We vacation elsewhere. :-)

It’s akin to the subject of cable cars in SF; folks who don’t live in the City think of the cable car experience as something tourists do whereas those of us who lived it for a decade consider such relative to commuting and public transportation.

That’s great, but it’s not the same as feeling as though you’re on vacation every day.
It is to me. Sorry your life is so rigid. Also that you think you can tell others how to feel.

Old 07-27-2023, 09:28 PM

8,659 posts, read 3,858,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
It is to me. Sorry your life is so rigid. Also that you think you can tell others how to feel.
I enjoy my life immensely; I simply don’t feel as though I’m on vacation, when I’m not. ;-)

Old 07-29-2023, 01:08 PM

10,300 posts, read 6,822,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Yeah…but lifeguards aren’t on duty all year round in OC either. It’s a summer job.
Yep, Memorial Day to Labor Day for the most part. But, the State DOES have lifeguards around the clock, all year, on stand-by. They do MUCH more than pull pretty women outta the rip currents. (Don't believe "Baywatch.")

Pretty sure San Diego life guards have a "cliff rescue team" that can be activated all year 'round. People can make poor choices, above Black's Beach...

EDITY~Just realized this is for the OC. A couple changes need to be made.

1. The "pretty" women are surgically enhanced, and

2. Substitute "The Wedge" for "Black's Beach."

Last edited by NORTY FLATZ; 07-29-2023 at 01:10 PM.. Reason: Almost lost my mind!

Old 07-29-2023, 03:33 PM

14,302 posts, read 11,684,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Yep, Memorial Day to Labor Day for the most part. But, the State DOES have lifeguards around the clock, all year, on stand-by. They do MUCH more than pull pretty women outta the rip currents. (Don't believe "Baywatch.")

Pretty sure San Diego life guards have a "cliff rescue team" that can be activated all year 'round. People can make poor choices, above Black's Beach...

EDITY~Just realized this is for the OC. A couple changes need to be made.

1. The "pretty" women are surgically enhanced, and

2. Substitute "The Wedge" for "Black's Beach."
I've seen them pick climbers off the rocks in Corona del Mar.

Old 07-31-2023, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I worked year round as an LA county guard. I would assume OC had the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County