Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2008, 06:38 PM

107 posts, read 343,241 times

Advertisements

when is the best time of the day to do this? we will be partying all night in vegas and then driving the next day to la, so we dont really want to leave early in the morning. i know its a crazy time for traffic with school over and people on vacation and all that. so what would be a good time to leave and avoid horrible traffic? i still dont exactly know when "rush hours" are in so cal. i think its pretty much all the time

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2008, 06:50 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times
What part of LA and what day of the week? I'd guess if you left by 9 you'd beat the majority of it.

Old 05-25-2008, 07:01 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,467,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fowler_966 View Post
when is the best time of the day to do this? we will be partying all night in vegas and then driving the next day to la, so we dont really want to leave early in the morning. i know its a crazy time for traffic with school over and people on vacation and all that. so what would be a good time to leave and avoid horrible traffic? i still dont exactly know when "rush hours" are in so cal. i think its pretty much all the time

thanks!
Heading southbound on the I-15 Monday through Friday, you will be in commuter traffic heading into the LA Metro area from the High Desert communities of Victorville, Apple Valley, Hesperia, and Adelanto (to name a few). The congestion begins around Bear Valley Road but is not too severe, relatively speaking. It gets heavier as you get closer to the job centers in LA and OC so figure heading west to LA (on for example I-210, I-10, SR-60) and south to OC (on for example the I-15, SR-57, etc.) will be challenging.

What I have noticed in my experience is that the traffic lightens up around 10:00am-11:00am because by then everyone is at work. But then it picks up again around 12ish because of the lunch hour. My suggestion is to leave Las Vegas around 8:00am which will put you in LA in the period when it is lightest. Note that what I consider 'light' you might consider 'heavy' so bear that in mind.

If you come down on Saturday and Sunday, I'd guess that it would be lighter than usual with the natural slowdowns near shopping centers and so forth. Sunday night is heavy due to people heading back to the LA area from Las Vegas.

Your results may vary, though. Others may have better suggestions...

Old 05-25-2008, 10:33 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,758,544 times
leave early. you leave after 2 or 3pm you'll probably be stuck in traffic all day

Old 05-26-2008, 06:25 PM

107 posts, read 343,241 times
it will be a friday and we will be driving to our hotel in hollywood...does that change anything? we'd really rather not leave at 8 am but i guess we might have to :/

Old 05-27-2008, 09:26 AM

5 posts, read 10,858 times
Much depends on what day od the week you will be leaving LV.

Monday - Wed noon to 2pm is my usual travel day and time to LA from LV. Traffic is a breeze even when you reach LA by 6:00 or 7:00 pm.

Thursdays and Fridays, business people would like to report back to office before their offices close for the week. And these two days are busiest for LA traffic all day! Expect more 18-wheelers delivering to supermarkets their weekend supplies.

Saturdays and Sundays are purse strings travelers who saved on hotel weekday rates and are returning to LA.

Old 07-15-2008, 02:12 AM

81 posts, read 285,201 times
I'd be more concerned about driving through the desert in the middle of the day. It's really brutal. I'd say leave either before 8am or after 3pm so most of your driving is done when the sun isn't directly overhead.

As for traffic, you'll be going against traffic once you enter LA so don't worry about it too much. Take the carpool lane if you have 2+ people with you. I think you need 3 people for the carpool on the 10. It'll be jammed from downtown into Hollywood for sure, but the rest should be a breeze. Be glad you're not making the drive on a Sunday afternoon!

Old 07-15-2008, 08:18 AM

5 posts, read 10,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strategery52 View Post
I'd be more concerned about driving through the desert in the middle of the day. It's really brutal. ....
That's what the air-condorioner in your car is for.

Old 07-28-2008, 03:25 AM

768 posts, read 4,341,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strategery52 View Post
I'd be more concerned about driving through the desert in the middle of the day. It's really brutal. I'd say leave either before 8am or after 3pm so most of your driving is done when the sun isn't directly overhead.
After 3 is when I always leave from Vegas... check out of the hotel, hit up a buffet, and drive home on a stomach you'll need to empty about the time you hit Baker or Barstow. By the time you roll into L.A. it'll be about 7PM and there won't be as much traffic. Sometimes we stay until about 4-5PM, the drive home usually averages about 90MPH on I-15 and can get home in about 3.5 hours. Watch those CHP's though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County