Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 08:39 PM

1,608 posts, read 3,074,903 times

Advertisements

It has always bemused me how Orange County, compared with other nearby places, has such a low level of crime. I have spent some time in Los Angeles, Riverside, San Francisco, and Phoenix. Of these places, it seems that Orange County has more upscale looking wealthy areas. I used to live in Laguna Niguel a few years back, and grew up in Fullerton/Anaheim. Lived in OC for over 30 years. I find that Orange County has less 'urban rift raft' than LA County as well as a lesser poverty problem. Why do you suppose crime isn't as serious in OC as in LA, Phoenix, Vegas? It's one of the reasons I chose to live in OC as long as I did. It has a similar cost of living expense as LA County, but with significantly less crime. I mean compare these homicide rates of various metros with OC.

2016 Homicide Rate:
Orange County - 1.8
LA County - 6.1
Inland Empire - 5.1
Vegas - 9.0
Phoenix - 5.5
Tucson - 4.8
Oakland - 6.1
San Francisco - 4.1
Sacramento - 4.2
Salt Lake City - 3.9
Denver - 4.3

source - https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s...tables/table-4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2018, 09:34 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,134,777 times
Demographics. Asians commit the least amount of crime of all groups and whites are not far behind. OC Hispanics are often well off so there is that too, and thus their crime rates are similar to non Hispanic whites. There are some gang infested areas in the county, but compared to other areas, they are tame, e.g. Santa Ana. Lastly, areas like Santa Ana are gentrifying significantly.

Old 07-07-2018, 09:24 AM

585 posts, read 634,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Demographics. Asians commit the least amount of crime of all groups and whites are not far behind. OC Hispanics are often well off so there is that too, and thus their crime rates are similar to non Hispanic whites. There are some gang infested areas in the county, but compared to other areas, they are tame, e.g. Santa Ana. Lastly, areas like Santa Ana are gentrifying significantly.
There is a noticeable demographic shift in progress. Many people from north of OC's border are moving south. You will see working-aged men and women walking around Irvine in the middle of the day, not at work.

Old 07-11-2018, 11:12 AM

1,424 posts, read 2,486,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDiabloJoe View Post
There is a noticeable demographic shift in progress. Many people from north of OC's border are moving south. You will see working-aged men and women walking around Irvine in the middle of the day, not at work.
Im not sure what this means or if you imply any negativity to it, unless you mean unemployed/homeless. I would assume lots of people that work from home or have something other than a typical 9-5 would choose to go out when everything isnt as crowded (middle of the day). But again, I'm not sure what you are trying to get at what this comment.

Do South OC people not like seeing people walking on the streets? Lol. Its part of what makes Laguna Beach more charming IMO, one of the few places in all of OC where there are people of all types walking everywhere (yes, including working age adults not working, and not being tourists either.)

Old 07-11-2018, 11:19 AM

3,437 posts, read 3,284,294 times
Quote:
are you referring to the homeless?

how do you know they are from north of OC's border?

Old 07-11-2018, 11:28 AM

3,146 posts, read 4,101,008 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
Im not sure what this means or if you imply any negativity to it, unless you mean unemployed/homeless. I would assume lots of people that work from home or have something other than a typical 9-5 would choose to go out when everything isnt as crowded (middle of the day). But again, I'm not sure what you are trying to get at what this comment.

Do South OC people not like seeing people walking on the streets? Lol. Its part of what makes Laguna Beach more charming IMO, one of the few places in all of OC where there are people of all types walking everywhere (yes, including working age adults not working, and not being tourists either.)
I know how I read ElDiabloJoe's post and if I'm right, his assumptions are offensive, to say the least.

So, what are you trying to say, ElDiabloJoe?

Old 07-11-2018, 09:10 PM

585 posts, read 634,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
I know how I read ElDiabloJoe's post and if I'm right, his assumptions are offensive, to say the least.

So, what are you trying to say, ElDiabloJoe?
You are not right, and your slander requires an apology. Simply put, my observation is that there are more and more folks not foreign to this country nor native to Orange County (i.e. - sober living and rehab drop outs and homeless) who should be working or otherwise not wandering around looking for criminal opportunity showing up in Orange County.

To infer otherwise does me a great injustice, and I do not appreciate it, phlinak. Usually people that see racism or offense on the behalf of others have that foremost in their hearts themselves, in my experience.

Good. Day.

Old 07-12-2018, 09:19 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,972,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Well to be clear here, whites have closer crime/arrest rates to Blacks and Hispanics than they do Asians in throughout this state:

https://www.amren.com/archives/repor...vised-edition/

If you scroll about halfway down the page, you'll see charts for California.

Also, Blacks in the OC have higher incomes than in the IE or LA County too.

Old 07-12-2018, 09:28 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,984,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Well to be clear here, whites have closer crime/arrest rates to Blacks and Hispanics than they do Asians in throughout this state:
That's only because the Asian rate is so low, it's miniscule, but even your own stats show that Blacks and Hispanics commit most of the violent crimes.

Quote:
California Violent Crime - Multiples of white felony arrest rate by race, ethnicity, and age

White 1.000
Hispanic 1.431
Black 5.270
Other 0.500
Quote:

New York Murder Rate

White: 2.9 percent

Black: 61.8 percent

Hispanic: 31.8 percent

Asian: 2.7 percent

Other: 0.8 percent

Old 07-12-2018, 02:36 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,972,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
That's only because the Asian rate is so low, it's miniscule, but even your own stats show that Blacks and Hispanics commit most of the violent crimes.
Not sure what you mean by the last part of your sentence, "but even your own stats, etc.". No one was disputing that part at all (and you proceed to post stats from New York when we're talking about California). What was disputed was that Whites are "just behind" Asians, when they aren't in California. Doesn't matter how low Asian rates are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County