Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 05:53 PM

1,608 posts, read 3,078,179 times

Advertisements

As I have been to Irvine so many times before I found this to be great news!

Top 15 fastest-growing cities in the U.S.

Where's everyone going?

Texas or California; cities in the two states absolutely dominate the ranking of fastest-growing cities with populations of 50,000 or more. Texas and California alone take up half the top 50 fastest-growing cities, with 15 for Texas and 10 for California, according to numbers just released by the U.S. Census Bureau.

What's more: These aren't big cities. Unless you live near one of these places, you've probably never heard of most of them. Yet these towns have seen their populations grow as much as 8 percent in one year.

The largest of the these towns in the top 15 is Irvine, California, The city grew by 11,420 people over the past year to total 248,531. That's nearly a 5 percent growth rate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 08:51 PM

384 posts, read 734,630 times
And also the most boring city

Old 05-27-2015, 12:59 AM

162 posts, read 231,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veritasveritas View Post
And also the most boring city
It's a veritable Garden of Eden for people that have families though. It's not really an overstatement to say it could possibly be the best place in the entire western hemisphere to raise children.

Old 05-27-2015, 05:33 AM

66 posts, read 85,964 times
It's because the Chinese come and buy in Irvine because it's the safest city in the USA, good schools and there is already lots of them there. Irvine is looking like Arcadia or Walnut up in the San Gabriel Valley looked late 90s and I bet you in 20 years it will be like they are now. Nice communities, great schools, impeccably maintained but essentially big "ghettoes" of Chinese new money that aren't particularly welcoming or desirable to people that aren't in that community. The draw to Irvine for lots compared to say Lake Forest or something was the good schools, now I know folks who avoid Irvine and go to MV or RSM because they like the suburban lifestyle but don't want to send their kids to the pressure cooker schools lorded by Chinese tiger moms. I went to HS in OC but I am from Northern CA and have seen the same thing happen up there in Cupertino, Sunnyvale, and places in the East Bay like San Ramon where the schools are too good and have too much pressure because Asian parents demand things like more math homework much to the detriment of things like prom and football teams which are big parts of the American school experience but hold no weight in Asian culture.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:37 AM

162 posts, read 231,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent from norcal View Post
I know folks who avoid Irvine and go to MV or RSM because they like the suburban lifestyle but don't want to send their kids to the pressure cooker schools lorded by Chinese tiger moms.
You see, this is the kind of attitude that I don't get, like that person in that other thread. What's wrong with having your children in a competitive academic environment and pushing them to succeed? I don't want my kids to be moving back in with me when they're 100k in debt and can't find a job because they just skimmed by doing the bare minimum in life. I want them to know that they can accomplish anything as long as they work hard for it and they need to do so because there's no free rides. They need to demand the best from themselves and strive for what they want. There is absolutely nothing wrong with teaching those values to children, even if it comes at the expense of other activities.

The best lessons you can teach a child today are about self-discipline, sacrificing for what you want, and straight up hard work to achieve what you set out to achieve. If you instill those values in your children early and hold them to it, they'll run circles around these self-entitled American wimps who are perfectly happy to settle for participation points and a trophy they know they didn't earn and don't deserve.

Old 05-27-2015, 08:51 PM

347 posts, read 666,963 times
Well, when you have the last undeveloped areas in Orange County and the southern California coastal basin... you're bound to be one of the fastest growing areas in the country.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:11 PM

I wish OC would have followed Venturas lead and preserved the agricultural heritage a bit better, or at least more like SD county building to preserve the natural landscape and small towns (like Julian) instead we have created monstrosities like Talega.

Old 05-27-2015, 10:39 PM

347 posts, read 666,963 times
Quote:
or at least more like SD county building to preserve the natural landscape
San Diego didn't preserve anything. The only reason you think they did is because it's impossible to build vertically on a side of a hill.

Old 05-27-2015, 10:42 PM

65 posts, read 105,435 times
Quote:
It's because the Chinese come and buy in Irvine because it's the safest city in the USA, good schools and there is already lots of them there. Irvine is looking like Arcadia or Walnut up in the San Gabriel Valley looked late 90s and I bet you in 20 years it will be like they are now. Nice communities, great schools, impeccably maintained but essentially big "ghettoes" of Chinese new money that aren't particularly welcoming or desirable to people that aren't in that community. The draw to Irvine for lots compared to say Lake Forest or something was the good schools, now I know folks who avoid Irvine and go to MV or RSM because they like the suburban lifestyle but don't want to send their kids to the pressure cooker schools lorded by Chinese tiger moms. I went to HS in OC but I am from Northern CA and have seen the same thing happen up there in Cupertino, Sunnyvale, and places in the East Bay like San Ramon where the schools are too good and have too much pressure because Asian parents demand things like more math homework much to the detriment of things like prom and football teams which are big parts of the American school experience but hold no weight in Asian culture.
white flight to South County and the coastal beach towns

Old 05-27-2015, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowinthedark View Post
white flight to South County and the coastal beach towns
It's funny, many SGV folk fled to new places like Irvine and now they are gonna flee again to RSM, Aliso etc. same thing happened in LA many folks from NELA and the central/west side to the Valley and then fled again to Thousand Oaks. Sucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County