Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2013, 11:02 AM

7 posts, read 32,958 times

Advertisements

My husband works in Fullerton and we live in Corona, however we are both getting tired of the commute since we cant afford the fast track option so he has to brave the "corona crawl" coming home. We were thinking of moving and some areas surrounding Fullerton are either not in our price range or areas we've been told to keep away from....so after looking at all possible areas, factoring in costs, schools, crime rates and proximity to family (Whittier/Covina) we've thought about relocating to Hacienda Heights, San Dimas or Claremont. Corona is nice and some schools are ok, but just wondering if we have a better option. We're a family of 6, looking for preferably a house but will consider condo, have 1 child in middle school and 2 in elementary, budgeting $2000 for a 3bdr but preferably a 4bdr. Anyone have any experience with the above mentioned cities, I welcome your input, thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 11:55 AM

1,714 posts, read 3,852,365 times
San Dimas is a very pretty suburban town with lots of trees, hills, and nature. Claremont is even prettier, but it's a bit too far from Fullerton, IMO.

With either city, live as north as you can afford because that's where the really charming neighborhoods are.

All of the nearby foothill cities are very safe and have good schools, except for Azusa.

You can also try Rowland Heights. I think its school district maybe a bit better than Hacienda Heights'. Rowland Heights should also be closer to Fullerton.

Old 12-30-2013, 01:51 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
the 57 is a pretty awful freeway as well if i remember correctly. none of those options sound much better as far as commuting goes.

Old 12-30-2013, 01:58 PM

7 posts, read 32,958 times
Yeah my husband did mention the 57 being bad too, but I figured if we were in surrounding areas of Fullerton, he could always take the street...for the record he'd like to stay in Corona because its affordable and you can get a lot of space for the price, saying because of that, he doesn't mind the commute, but my priority is schooling and Corona's schools are starting to go downhill IMO...there are 34 kids in my son's kinder class> I'm considering Norco or Eastvale if we can't move closer, but again, farther commute

Old 12-30-2013, 11:42 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,852,365 times
From Rowland or Hacienda Heights, you can drive on local streets to Fullerton... it's only about 8-12 miles of driving. Orange County is literally just on the other side of the hills.

Old 12-31-2013, 11:10 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbsand View Post
but my priority is schooling and Corona's schools are starting to go downhill IMO...there are 34 kids in my son's kinder class> I'm considering Norco or Eastvale if we can't move closer, but again, farther commute
as i understand it, this is the case for schools everywhere except in wealthier areas. it sounds like you and your husband need to have a serious discussion about schools vs home size. unfortunately for you, unless you up your budget fairly significantly it is unlikely you'll get the good schools and the big home you are looking for.

Old 12-31-2013, 02:51 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genjy View Post
From Rowland or Hacienda Heights, you can drive on local streets to Fullerton... it's only about 8-12 miles of driving. Orange County is literally just on the other side of the hills.
This.

Old 01-03-2014, 08:38 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,567,920 times
Walnut is right next to Hacienda Heights and their schools are very good, but I don't know if you have to live in the city to send your kids to school there, so you might want to check that out.

Old 01-03-2014, 10:24 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,962,729 times
You should consider Diamond Bar as well. Good neighborhoods with good school district. Your husband can take local, Brea Canyon Road (without going on 57) or take Pathfinder to Fullerton Road that turns into Harbor Blvd just the other side of hill.

The other option is Chino Hills. You can take Caron Canyon that goes into Lambert and into Fullerton that way.

I used to live in OC and my folks still live in Walnut so I know the area. Just came back from visiting them during Christmas. The 57 was crowded just like the 60 Fwy. They reminded us another reason to leave California.

Old 01-04-2014, 03:25 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,484,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbsand View Post
My husband works in Fullerton and we live in Corona, however we are both getting tired of the commute since we cant afford the fast track option so he has to brave the "corona crawl" coming home. We were thinking of moving and some areas surrounding Fullerton are either not in our price range or areas we've been told to keep away from....so after looking at all possible areas, factoring in costs, schools, crime rates and proximity to family (Whittier/Covina) we've thought about relocating to Hacienda Heights, San Dimas or Claremont. Corona is nice and some schools are ok, but just wondering if we have a better option. We're a family of 6, looking for preferably a house but will consider condo, have 1 child in middle school and 2 in elementary, budgeting $2000 for a 3bdr but preferably a 4bdr. Anyone have any experience with the above mentioned cities, I welcome your input, thanks
Don't forget La Habra, which is north of Fullerton and the first town on the OC side as you come down the hills. You can find some deals there. Brea would work too but is more expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County