Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 11:31 AM

7 posts, read 12,315 times

Advertisements

My husband has been relocated to Long Beach. I am currently employed in Texas but am starting my job search in California. The Los Angeles area is huge and I don't know traffic patterns. What neighborhoods should I be looking at? Is downtown LA, Santa Monica, or Torrance too far? I would ideally not like to drive more than 30 minutes each way for work. What would be the best areas to look in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 06:23 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,486,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houston03 View Post
My husband has been relocated to Long Beach. I am currently employed in Texas but am starting my job search in California. The Los Angeles area is huge and I don't know traffic patterns. What neighborhoods should I be looking at? Is downtown LA, Santa Monica, or Torrance too far? I would ideally not like to drive more than 30 minutes each way for work. What would be the best areas to look in?
Long Beach if you can.

Cerritos, Lakewood, Torrance and some other surrounding cities may also be good options. Some bordering Orange County cities such as Cypress, La Palma and Los Alamitos as well. Seal Beach too but it's kind of expensive. Knowing your budget and whether you wish to rent or buy would help.

Old 08-04-2013, 07:14 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,565,834 times
30 minutes would get you to Torrance. Santa Monica would take an average of 1-1.5 hours if you leave early enough. When I had to commute for a week from Long Beach to Wilshire (just west of downtown LA), I could make it in an hour if I left at 6am. If I left at 7, I got there by 8:30 and learned my lesson.

If living in Long Beach, there are lots of jobs around here depending on your type of desired employment (you didn't mention). My commute is about 6 miles along city streets and it can take me anywhere from 15 minutes on a REALLY good day to 40 minutes. It's taken as long as 1 hour the day Pacific Coast Highway was closed due to a fatality on a major bridge.

Heading south out of LBC on the 405 can get really jammed up going into Orange County. North on the 605 isn't too bad and the 710 out of LBC starts to slow at the 91 and comes to a dead stop shortly after.

Hope that helps! Long Beach is an awesome city with a lot of great parts and some pretty gross parts. Welcome!

Old 08-05-2013, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsltd View Post
Long Beach if you can.

Cerritos, Lakewood, Torrance and some other surrounding cities may also be good options. Some bordering Orange County cities such as Cypress, La Palma and Los Alamitos as well. Seal Beach too but it's kind of expensive. Knowing your budget and whether you wish to rent or buy would help.
We are looking to rent for the first year, or at least until I know where my job will be. Husband's job will be in Long Beach, so we want to stay in that area or close by for now. We might possibly move if I can't find a job that is an easy commute.

Budget is 1600 max for a 1 bedroom, but prefer to stay in the 1300-1400 range.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:40 AM

Also, is downtown LA too far? I am in finance and have noticed a lot of job openings there.

Old 08-05-2013, 12:20 PM

Long Beach rentals in your price range are very doable! Avoid the apartment complexes, they know out of staters prefer them and your rent will be much more than using a private rental. Try googling Pabst Kinney for Long Beach listings or hotpads dot com is a comprehensive tool for all listings and it's free.

And yeah downtown LA is too far (see my reply to that question above).

Old 08-05-2013, 09:24 PM

428 posts, read 849,147 times
Shouldn't this be on the Los Angeles forum as Long beach is in Los Angeles county and not Orange county?

Old 08-05-2013, 09:28 PM

If you are coming from the Houston area I would recommend the South Bay area which includes Torrance, Carson, Redondo Beach, etc... That is if you want something similar to Houston. It is not completely like Houston but demographiclly and industry wise it has more incommon with Houston suburbs than Orange county. For example many South Bay cities have the same demographic make up of the Katy area or Fort Bend county. Professional Asians, Blacks, and Hispanics with a white plurality in most but each other group atleast having one place where they are close to a plurality.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:31 PM

It is the only area in So Cal outside the Baldwin Hills-Ladera Heights-Windsor Hills-Fox Hills area that you will find any thing close to a signifigant professional Black population.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissStateDawg View Post
Shouldn't this be on the Los Angeles forum as Long beach is in Los Angeles county and not Orange county?
Long Beach is LA County but really doesn't feel like it's a part of either. I call it Los Orangelos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County