Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2013, 05:22 PM

1 posts, read 3,704 times

Advertisements

Hello! I just got a job offer in Anaheim, on S. Manchester Ave, right next to Disneyland. I'll be starting sometime in May (once the office sends me an exact start date). I'm relocating from Central California, so it's not a big move, but we want to find a place (or at least an area) to live relatively soon.

I've already done some preliminary research, but there's a lot of information out there. I've found some nicely priced apartments nearby, either in Anaheim proper (and not far from work) or in one of the surrounding cities, like Fullerton. My family consists of me, my wife, and our 2 week old daughter. We're looking to spend no more than $1500/mo on rent. We're not spoiled, so we don't necessarily need to be in an upscale area, but would like some modicum of safety.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 06:18 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Work this

California School Performance Maps

and this

https://www.padmapper.com/

Old 04-15-2013, 06:20 PM

254 posts, read 442,721 times
My personal choice would be Fullerton. It's a great area to be in, and a real community with tons to offer its residents. People who move to Fullerton tend to become lifelong fans of the area. It can get fairly hot there, but coming from Central CA that'll be old hat to you. They have a lovely downtown, lots of great restaurants and activities, a fantastic farmers market, plenty of parks, and good services.

Old 04-15-2013, 10:18 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,170,994 times
I'd second Fullerton and add that Placentia could work too. Both have good schools, but Fullerton does have the bonus of the downtown area and a lot of entertainment, shopping, and dining options.

Old 04-16-2013, 02:18 PM

1,374 posts, read 3,256,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sondeera View Post
My personal choice would be Fullerton. It's a great area to be in, and a real community with tons to offer its residents. People who move to Fullerton tend to become lifelong fans of the area. It can get fairly hot there, but coming from Central CA that'll be old hat to you. They have a lovely downtown, lots of great restaurants and activities, a fantastic farmers market, plenty of parks, and good services.

I also agree that Fullerton would be my choice of a city in which to live. I was a Fullerton resident for three years and I loved the experience. Being an Ohio native ( Cleveland area ), I was looking for a city with an identity, a strong sense of community and a city with nice amenities - FULLERTON has all of this and so much more! I like that the lovely residential areas have maples, elms and birch trees - not just jacaranda or other palm trees. I loved the cohesive feeling of this fine community - the street fairs, various festivals ( A NIGHT IN FULLERTON was my favorite )

Beautiful and varied residential areas, civic pride, diversity of churches, excellent library system ... A fantastic and evolving DOWNTOWN AREA, making it feel like a true "hometown"!

Much of Orange County has little identity, but Fullerton does. You can't go wrong with Fullerton!

Old 04-20-2013, 09:42 AM

56 posts, read 141,036 times
I live in Fullerton, I agree with everything that's been said. It would take about twenty minutes on surface streets to get where you're going in the mornings from here.

To give you informartion on Anaheim near Disneyland... the homes are older (mid centuryish) and are cute. Some are well maintained, but many are in need of some love. Demographics are hispanic, white, with asian and African American in the lowest numbers. Most of the really old aparments have been torn down to create a Disney image. It's pretty crowded in that area, Fullerton is slower, so's Placentia.

As to your safety concern. It really depends on your comfort level. Lots of people live there just fine, but it would not be my choice to live there. There are several local gangs in Anaheim. (I teach there, so I know). They aren't as hardcore as in LA, but there's lots of tagging crew and such.

Garden Grove is next to Anaheim, but it's alot like Anaheim as far as the houses go.

I hope this helps somewhat.

Old 04-20-2013, 09:56 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Keep in mind that the closer you are to the park, the louder the fireworks. You can hear them in many places in OC, but if you're really close you can also get soot.

My standard advice for anyone moving to a new area. Go into the local supermarket at various times of the day and night. The people shopping there will be your neighbors. If you sense that you won't be comfortable with a certain demographic, keep looking. If you like what you see.... so much the better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County