Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2013, 10:38 AM

5 posts, read 14,849 times

Advertisements

Hello Friends,

I am moving to Anaheim, CA. I will be working in Irvine, CA (Near SNA Airport). Here is the route that I will be taking in the morning.

- Take the CA-91 E/​Riverside Fwy E ramp
- Take exit 34 to merge onto CA-55 S toward Newport Beach
- Take MacArthur Blvd Exit

I'd really appreciate if someone can help me with the traffic information. Everyone is saying CA-55 is very bad during morning and evening commute.

If you are familiar with the above route, could you please let me know the best time to avoid traffic?
If there are any alternate faster routes, could you please suggest those also?

I really appreciate all the help I can get as I am new to CA.

Have a wonderful day.
Thanks.

----
I originally created the thread in California Forum. Per suggestions from Joe and Charles, I am creating a new thread under Orange County Section:

Joe Van Fossen
You might have better luck in the Orange County sub-forum. I have driven that route before, but not regularly. Compared to the 5 south and the 57 south, the 55 south should be better for a longer stretch. Either way, traffic will be pretty bad. Best times to avoid traffic would be before 7am or after 9:30am for your morning commute and before 3:30pm and after 7pm for your evening commute.
You can check sigalert.com for real-time traffic info.

Charles
I work just east of Macaurther and the 405. I drive from the south but I arrive at work at 6AM to beat traffic. A lady I work with lives in Anaheim and it takes her 45 minutes but she arrives at 9. She said it would take half the time if she came in before 7. She also takes Grand Street to the 5 rather than the 55 in the evening.
And yes, this thread should be moved to the OC Forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 11:01 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,483,506 times
Use a GPS app (Google Navigation or Waze) to find the optimal route as it may vary day by day due to traffic.

It depends where in Anaheim you live..

Old 03-27-2013, 11:07 AM

1,302 posts, read 2,948,864 times
This was almost my exact commute about 5 years ago, except my route was 91 west from Imperial. Took me about 35-40 minutes in the morning (sometimes 45), and 30-35 minutes in the afternoon (sometimes 40-45). Traffic might be lighter before 8:00am and after 7:00pm, but not by much.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:45 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
When you get on the 5, if traffic is heavy, or if you hear the 55 is jammed, just get off on MacArthur and take that to the airport.

If you can find a car pool buddy, you will save some time.

There are surface routes you can take, but I doubt it will save you any time. Too many lights.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:34 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,483,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
When you get on the 5, if traffic is heavy, or if you hear the 55 is jammed, just get off on MacArthur and take that to the airport.

If you can find a car pool buddy, you will save some time.

There are surface routes you can take, but I doubt it will save you any time. Too many lights.
A few exceptions..

If you live in East Anaheim or somewhere close to the 91, consider taking Jamboree road (or the toll road if you want to pay) up to the 91 instead of 55 North.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:34 AM

5 posts, read 14,849 times
Thank you all for your feedback. It seems like I need to try out different routes and timings to find if it is possible to avoid traffic. But, I guess if it were possible people would have already tried it..

Again, I really appreciate all your help. Thank you so much.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:05 PM

9 posts, read 44,478 times
Take the toll road. I have a coworker that commutes from Anaheim Hills to Irvine every day. It's the 241, I believe. Worth the money for the Fast Track.

The 55 is MISERABLE in the afternoon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County