Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2011, 12:11 PM

4 posts, read 8,752 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving from LA to Orange County for a job. We currently live on the west side of LA in a great apartment walking distance to countless restaurants and shops along 3rd Street. I hate to leave this area, but having an hour-plus commute every day is out of the question.

I'd love to find an apartment walking distance to some restaurants in an area with "character" [read: not a cookie-cutter complex]. From my very brief search online, I think we'd prefer something in Newport Beach, Huntington Beach or Costa Mesa.

What is the best way to find an apartment? Are there realtors in the area who work with people looking for apartments? We're looking for a one-bedroom with a washer dryer in unit. Other than that, we're pretty flexible.

Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 12:22 PM

590 posts, read 1,249,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMA0319 View Post
My husband and I are moving from LA to Orange County for a job. We currently live on the west side of LA in a great apartment walking distance to countless restaurants and shops along 3rd Street. I hate to leave this area, but having an hour-plus commute every day is out of the question.

I'd love to find an apartment walking distance to some restaurants in an area with "character" [read: not a cookie-cutter complex]. From my very brief search online, I think we'd prefer something in Newport Beach, Huntington Beach or Costa Mesa.

What is the best way to find an apartment? Are there realtors in the area who work with people looking for apartments? We're looking for a one-bedroom with a washer dryer in unit. Other than that, we're pretty flexible.

Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated!

I would guess that 1 br with a washer and dryer might be tuf..

good luck tho

ps what is your budget...

Old 05-03-2011, 12:42 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,010,710 times
There are tons of units available in Huntington Harbor. Decent restaurants and things to do in the evening. 2br run about 1100 - 1600. Closest to freeway access.

You would probably like downtown Huntington Beach, The Newport Peninsula or Balboa Island the most. Freeway access sucks and they get a bit crazy during tourist season.

Be careful with Costa Mesa, the neighborhoods can go south very quickly.

Craiglist is the good, but the best thing to do is get on a bike and ride through the neighborhood.

Old 05-03-2011, 01:44 PM

Regarding budget - we're hoping to stay under 1500 for a 1 bedroom but could consider spending more if the apartment is spectacular.

Old 05-03-2011, 02:06 PM

394 posts, read 967,129 times
The Orange County Register is a good source for rentals.
Orange County Real Estate - Apartments and Rentals in Orange County, CA - The Orange County Register

It's hard to say which area is more like Santa Monica cause none of them really are (which is a good thing IMO). But that part of SM is really quite nice.

Newport is more showy, Huntington is more casual and Costa Mesa really wants to be Newport Beach - but it just can't. You might find Laguna Beach to be to your liking. It's really quite beautiful and there are lots of restaurants and galleries to visit. It gets quite busy in the summer, however.

I love CM, BTW. I plan on moving back there when my house in Tustin sells. Most of the problem areas in CM are on the west side of town. The east side is pretty nice overall but it ain't like Santa Monica at all.

Freeway access can be a real issue for the OC Beach Cities. Downtown HB is MILES away from the 405. Newport requires you to deal with the 55 - which can be a real problem at times. Living in Laguna means that you travel Laguna Canyon Road - which is quite a nice drive but not always quick.

Much of your decision will be based on where the work is. In OC it's best to live as close as possible to your job location!

There are thousands of options to consider. Good luck!

Old 05-03-2011, 05:42 PM

Thanks for the suggestions!

My husband will be commuting to downtown LA twice a week for grad school. Someone recommended Fullerton to us. Frankly, I've never been. Any ideas on what that area is like or where/if there are nice apartments?

Old 05-03-2011, 05:52 PM

If at all possible, try to stay within a 10 mile ring of where the new job will be located.

Old 05-03-2011, 09:48 PM

26 posts, read 69,409 times
As someone also looking for places with my office being at 55/405 intersection area... just how bad is the 55 from newport? I was hoping to live on the west side away from the peninsula on the beach but if its going to be brutal taking the 55 I may reconsider.

Old 05-04-2011, 11:39 AM

try Costa Mesa. Most surface streets will get you there in under 20 minutes

Old 05-04-2011, 10:36 PM

342 posts, read 1,428,055 times
I look at apartments on Craigslist all the time - I do not live there anymore but enjoy looking at the pictures and seeing what is still there. I always wonder if the nicely manicured grounds are really that way or old photo's. Some of the other rental websites might be helpful too - and then go look at them once you have found some that you like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County