Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2010, 11:55 AM

5 posts, read 8,374 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

My husband and I are professionals in our early 40's and are thinking of moving to Omaha in the spring/summer after graduation. He will finish his BS in Math (he has a BA in history) and is pursuing a career as an Actuary (he passed 2 tests already). I have a background as a manager for a large health insurance company and am taking paralegal classes. We are looking to move to an area not too far out of the city but we want some land (possibly) for our dogs to be able to run. We have no kids so a good school district isn't an issue for us. We wouldn't mind a house in "town" with a nice yard as long as it was a "dog friendly" area.

Any thoughts/suggestions of areas where we should look?

I look forward to your responses.

Thanks.
Bina
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 01:08 PM

14,568 posts, read 23,096,520 times
Sounds like you'd do well in Midtown, Benson, Dundee and maybe even some of the nicer parts of South Omaha. All of them offer urban-esque neighborhoods that fit what you are looking for.

Midtown
Midtown Omaha - Omaha Commons (http://omaha.ne.us.towncommons.com/Midtown_Omaha - broken link)
Midtown Omaha - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dundee
Dundee-Happy Hollow Historic District - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Dundee - Omaha Commons (http://omaha.ne.us.towncommons.com/Dundee - broken link)

Benson
Benson, Nebraska - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Benson - Omaha Commons (http://omaha.ne.us.towncommons.com/Benson - broken link)

South Omaha
South Omaha, Nebraska - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
South Omaha - Omaha Commons (http://omaha.ne.us.towncommons.com/South_Omaha - broken link)

This page may also come in handy for you.
Newcomers - Greater Omaha Chamber

Good luck!

Old 01-17-2010, 01:48 PM

475 posts, read 2,236,180 times
Bosco is a little biased toward the inner parts of the city... don't let anyone fool you, Omaha is a very easily commuted city, it literally takes 20 minutes to get anywhere.

Use cbshome.com's real estate search to select the criteria in a home you're looking for and expand your search out to as far as 180th street in the west, I-680 in the north, Highway 370 in the south and even check out Council Bluffs. These areas are all within easy commute of the core. The only area you should stay away from is northeast Omaha... and be wary of parts of south Omaha.

Old 01-17-2010, 04:01 PM

Thanks so much for the info. Omaha is one of the possible cities and this helps a lot!! Are there any areas that are particularly dog friendly? Are there dog parks around/in the city?

Old 01-17-2010, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_gazer View Post
Bosco is a little biased toward the inner parts of the city
This is true, but it also appears that is what the OP is looking for rather than more suburban feel.

Quote:
... don't let anyone fool you, Omaha is a very easily commuted city, it literally takes 20 minutes to get anywhere.
This is true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by binajack View Post
Thanks so much for the info. Omaha is one of the possible cities and this helps a lot!! Are there any areas that are particularly dog friendly? Are there dog parks around/in the city?
I guess that depends on what you mean by "dog friendly". You might contact these people though.

http://www.omahadogpark.org/index.html

Old 01-17-2010, 06:38 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,707,009 times
Quote:
Hello all!

My husband and I are professionals in our early 40's and are thinking of moving to Omaha in the spring/summer after graduation. He will finish his BS in Math (he has a BA in history) and is pursuing a career as an Actuary (he passed 2 tests already). I have a background as a manager for a large health insurance company and am taking paralegal classes. We are looking to move to an area not too far out of the city but we want some land (possibly) for our dogs to be able to run. We have no kids so a good school district isn't an issue for us. We wouldn't mind a house in "town" with a nice yard as long as it was a "dog friendly" area.

Any thoughts/suggestions of areas where we should look?

I look forward to your responses.

Thanks.
Bina
Well... The very FIRST thing you have to do is swear allegiance to the Minnesota Vikings. Unless you do that, you cannot move to Omaha - because I said so!

So... There are homes that would be perfect for you, but without being here and looking around, you won't be be able to tell.

For instance, my family lives in a home that sits on a 1-acre lot - and we're right in the middle of Omaha. When you get into North Omaha - specifically up near I-680 - the terrain is very rugged, and there are a lot of homes that have the feel of being out in the country.

Honestly, I think your best bet would be to fly into town and spend a weekend driving around and getting a feel for the place. That'd probably do more good than all the opinions we can share here.

Old 01-17-2010, 08:07 PM

We will be probably driving to Omaha for a few days when we closer to deciding if Omaha will be the next city we live in! I've been hitting the house for sale websites to get an idea of what's out there so thanks for the advise on where to look.

Bosco....does "OP" mean Old People? If so, that's kinda mean cause early 40's isn't old.

Actually we really aren't that urban in our lifestyle, although we do like museums, zoos and the theater. We are more LLBean kinda people then anything else.

My husband grew up in Scottsbluff and the eastern part of the state is the only part he is interested in setting foot in!

Old 01-17-2010, 08:14 PM

So, another question.....which zip codes should I look in?

Old 01-17-2010, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Bosco....does "OP" mean Old People? If so, that's kinda mean cause early 40's isn't old.
No. "OP" is forum-speak for "original poster", or the person who starts a thread, which is you in this case.

Sorry for the confusion. I tend to forget the fact that some people are new to forums and don't know the lingo yet.

Old 01-18-2010, 05:12 PM

Hehehe....I totally didn't know that. OP could also be "Over Powered" if you're a gamer or racing fan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: