Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 09:49 AM
jds jds started this thread

162 posts, read 456,968 times

Advertisements

i currently live in cedar rapids iowa......

im planning to move to omaha at the end of the yr to go to the uno for criminal justice.... i was wondering what are some nice apartments near the school or in the downtown area with nice windows to look out and get a glimpse of the city each evening.... also i want to have it in a nice area not excally in the ghetto.... i tihnk i will would want a 1 bedroom since im a single guy but i want it 2 be decent size tooo so if anyone could help me out that wouold be gr8 thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2007, 07:26 PM

8 posts, read 71,493 times
Depends on what price you're looking for...
Downtown I would suggest the Orpheum Apts. (500-600/month)--nice view,close to downtown atmosphere

Close to UNO-- unless you live on campus, there aren't a whole lot of choices.
I would suggest Tranqulity Pointe Apts or there are a bunch right around 90th and Dodge streets (big interesection) in town.

Old 02-16-2007, 01:01 AM

673 posts, read 4,071,497 times
I would recommend renting an apartment in South-East Omaha or Bellevue an older suburb that borders Omaha on the south. Bellevue is fairly quiet, mainly older people but inexpensive.

The apartments in West Omaha are expensive compared to the South-East side.

They have 400 dollar apartments in SE Omaha; South 13th, 17th and Vinton streets area.

Also Bellevue has some inexpensive apartments.

Old 02-16-2007, 07:05 AM

1,362 posts, read 4,620,594 times
And that's not at all where he said he wanted to move too.

Old 02-16-2007, 10:10 AM

77 posts, read 499,206 times
Do not even bother with the Downtown or South Omaha area's. The crime rate is very high and you don't want to think about that all the time.

Try the Ralston, Lavista, area's....... good parts of town Ideal for the UNO Student. Bellevue is good, but it is a far from the campus. Ralston is 3 miles away and you have good roads to get there on.

Old 02-16-2007, 12:13 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,620,594 times
Downtown isn't full of crime. I live Downtown and walk all over the place and it's fine. South Omaha isn't bad either. I wouldn't listen to fearful suburbanites who know nothing about the city. I PMd you some suggestions. I don't see how Ralston or LaVista would be good for a college student. Suburban areas with families, children and no nightlife SCREAM college experience.

Old 02-16-2007, 03:40 PM

77 posts, read 499,206 times
Well, I work downtown and I'm sure glad that I get to leave it everyday.
Omaha is a 20 minute town it does not take long to get from one end to the other, so living where there is no night life is not a problem. Hop in your car and in 10 minute your there. Oh, and don't let folks fool you Omaha is not know for it's "nightlife" heck everything closes down by 10:00 and last call is at 12:30 in most bars. So you'll have about 2-3 hour of Clubbing on a good night.

I just happen to be a suburbanite and living around crime and scum bags is not what I would like to call home.

Old 02-16-2007, 09:16 PM

475 posts, read 2,235,574 times
There are now over 1,000 condominium units proposed or already under construction in downtown/midtown Omaha. The people moving into these condos are far from criminals or scum bags (indeed... averaging well over $200k per unit, these are very well to do professionals).

That said, Omaha offers a 'brand' of living for everyone... whether it be downtown, midtown, suburban, bedroom community, rural or whatever trips your trigger.

Old 02-16-2007, 09:22 PM

1,119 posts, read 4,200,902 times
Default Also to think about

The crime rate for the city is actually pretty low compared to most other cities... I mean it's got its bad points, but it's actually not really that bad here..

Old 02-16-2007, 10:10 PM

475 posts, read 2,235,574 times
One has to understand (and this is true most everywhere, not just Omaha) that violent crime is very targeted. Unless you're looking for trouble, you're generally not going to find it. The vast majority of Omaha's homicides, for example, are gang/drug related. So the message is pretty simple ... don't do drugs/join gangs.

And when we talk about crime rates... one must look at 'the numbers' carefully. An arbitrary example... the crime rate in east Omaha may be 500% higher than the suburbs of Omaha... but if the rate of violent crime in suburban Omaha is only 100 per 100,000... that leaves the rate in east Omaha still only 600 per 100,000... or a rate of 6/10ths of 1% vs 1/10ths of 1% . We're talking a really miniscule chance of being involved in such a crime. So, use common sense, be careful... but relax and enjoy life people.

Last edited by star_gazer; 02-16-2007 at 10:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: