Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2013, 09:56 PM

2 posts, read 5,981 times

Advertisements

My partner and I are considering a permanent relocation to Omaha (we've been here for a year and a half already). We've been researching a few neighborhoods together, and we're currently very interested in a couple of houses in the Aksarben area near Elmwood Park (I am in LOVE with this one house.....). I'm not very familiar with the neighborhoods in central Omaha like that - we've pretty much stayed around out west.

We're specifically looking at the neighborhoods south of Leavenworth, down along 55th-52nd street and Pacific. We drove through there this past weekend looking at Christmas lights and decorations, and the place seems nice enough. Does anyone have any first hand experience living in that area? I'll admit I'm more than a bit worried by the observation that nearly every house we passed had some sort of ADT or other home security sign in their front yard. Are burglaries and theft common in those parts? If so, could anyone recommend a similar, yet safer, part of town that still has the older homes (i.e, ones with "character" as it's so often said)?

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated, thank you!
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 09:20 AM

906 posts, read 1,810,755 times
That's a relatively safe neighborhood most of the time, a lot of UNO students, but ... you still want to be smart. Don't rely on the police to protect you, get the ADT system, get a gun, pepper spray, and be vigilant about suspicious people in the neighborhood. Make your presence known and let the low-life's know they should find somewhere else to criminalize.

Old 12-22-2013, 10:20 AM

482 posts, read 1,331,899 times
That is a very safe area of town. I would not hesitate moving my family there if we needed to find a new place. You could also check out Dundee (50th and Underwood) or Country Club (north of Blondo 50th-56th).

Old 12-22-2013, 02:41 PM

624 posts, read 1,309,867 times
I too would not hesitate moving there. I admire the character of the houses in that area and crime is not a serious problem.

Old 12-22-2013, 09:23 PM

852 posts, read 1,357,716 times
As someone that has lived in Omaha my entire life and that is very familiar with the city, I can tell you that the Aksarben/Elmwood Park area is a great place to live. I've thought about moving out there myself.

Old 12-24-2013, 04:38 PM

152 posts, read 244,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogalete View Post
My partner and I are considering a permanent relocation to Omaha (we've been here for a year and a half already). We've been researching a few neighborhoods together, and we're currently very interested in a couple of houses in the Aksarben area near Elmwood Park (I am in LOVE with this one house.....). I'm not very familiar with the neighborhoods in central Omaha like that - we've pretty much stayed around out west.

We're specifically looking at the neighborhoods south of Leavenworth, down along 55th-52nd street and Pacific. We drove through there this past weekend looking at Christmas lights and decorations, and the place seems nice enough. Does anyone have any first hand experience living in that area? I'll admit I'm more than a bit worried by the observation that nearly every house we passed had some sort of ADT or other home security sign in their front yard. Are burglaries and theft common in those parts? If so, could anyone recommend a similar, yet safer, part of town that still has the older homes (i.e, ones with "character" as it's so often said)?

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated, thank you!
That's a really nice area, on the south end of what's known at Dundee. Even Warren Buffett lives in the neighborhood. Elmwood Park itself is beautiful.

There is no such thing as a "burglary-proof" neighborhood in Omaha, or any other city. Just do the reasonably smart things, and you'll be just fine.

Welcome to Omaha!

Old 12-26-2013, 05:26 PM

2 posts, read 5,981 times
Thank you all for your input! All of your replies have been a tremendous help, and hopefully if all goes through as planned we'll be moving in at the end of the month

Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: