Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2013, 09:07 AM

3,098 posts, read 7,558,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNcyanide View Post
So help me God, if we waste more time and money on another recall effort, I'm gonna puke.
I agree. the recall process has become a joke by people who dont like someone politically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 09:11 AM

14,571 posts, read 23,119,257 times
Quote:
So long as she made clear what she was doing and why, sometimes that is what is necessary. I'm sure that Suttle hadn't intended all along to do, say, the Restaurant Tax, but we were close to the red and something needed to be done. While I wasn't a fan of it at the time, I understood why he did it.
I agree completely, and I think that is Billie's problem. He is an ideologue rather than a pragmatist. Personally, I don't have the slightest problem with a politician saying "hey, I know I said I wanted to do this, but the situation has changed and now X, Y, and Z need to happen instead". Billie, by his own admission, would rather that politician blindly follow his promises, even if the end result is bad.

Quote:
So help me God, if we waste more time and money on another recall effort, I'm gonna puke.
Me too, though I'll admit a part of me would laugh at the thought of someone waiting to start the recall process on Stothert as soon as the six month waiting period was over.

Old 06-27-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
I agree completely, and I think that is Billie's problem. He is an ideologue rather than a pragmatist. Personally, I don't have the slightest problem with a politician saying "hey, I know I said I wanted to do this, but the situation has changed and now X, Y, and Z need to happen instead". Billie, by his own admission, would rather that politician blindly follow his promises, even if the end result is bad.

I am not a ideologue.

I believe Stothert should be held accountable. same with any politican who is a democrat.

same with those in the media.

I mean Stothert is wrong for media blackout, but McDonnell and LeClair arent exactly Mr. Rogers either.

I dont believe in blind loyalty. Blind Loyalty is wrong and have a independent mind is a good thing.

I am just saying, accountability needs to happen and just cause someone has a D or R next to their name

it dont mean they are above reproach

the problem is: too many people believe that if someone is same party as them, they should get a free pass and that is what is wrong nowadays:

too many people put party loyalty above accountability and that is where blind loyalty has screwed up politics.

I btw am a registered independent who has voted for democrat and republican and 3rd party candidates

Old 06-27-2013, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiefan2000 View Post
Obama is Transparent? what a joke. the IRS and Justice Dept. have been mirred in scandals and Obama hasnt been exactly transparent. oh, and there is the Benghazi fiasco.

if anything, she is as Transparent as Obama is.

covering stuff up and being shady is wrong whether u have a D or R next to her name.
You'll have to take your right wing talking points somewhere else, Billie, because you know I'll knock that **** out of the park. Trying to make a scandal out of thin air doesn't make it a real scandal, and your side is finding that out in rapid fashion.

But let's talk about transparency.

Issa urges White House to release Benghazi emails - Video on NBCNews.com

White House Releases Benghazi Emails

Darrell Issa On IRS Investigation: Releasing Full Transcripts Now Would Be 'Reckless'

Recap for the layman:

Quote:
Issa: "You guys are covering something up! Release the emails!

Obama admin: "Okay, *****, here they are. See? We didn't do anything wrong."

Issa: "You guys are covering something up with the IRS scandal, and I'm going to release a couple select portions of the transcripts that make it look that way, but since releasing the whole thing would let everyone see that you actually had nothing to do with it, I'm going to go to the media and say it would be reckless and irresponsible to release them".
I should really stop getting sidetracked by national politics in a thread about city politics, but I'll also point out that Obama started a website during his 2008 campaign dedicated to aggresively fighting the lies about him. His rationale was that lies can only exist in the dark, and shining light on it brings the truth.

Obama Truth Team — Barack Obama

I'll also point out some of the meetings (televised) he had with his political opposition to debate the merits of things like health reform. You'll probably remember one of these as it was when he told McCain (IIRC) that he was "entitled to your own opinions, not your own facts".

Stothert is nothing like Obama. If she was, she would welcome public debate about the Fire Department rather than trying to suppress the opposition.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:02 AM

Quote:
I am not a ideologue.

I believe Stothert should be held accountable. same with any politican who is a democrat.

same with those in the media.

I mean Stothert is wrong for media blackout, but McDonnell and LeClair arent exactly Mr. Rogers either.

I dont believe in blind loyalty. Blind Loyalty is wrong and have a independent mind is a good thing.

I am just saying, accountability needs to happen and just cause someone has a D or R next to their name

it dont mean they are above reproach

the problem is: too many people believe that if someone is same party as them, they should get a free pass and that is what is wrong nowadays:

too many people put party loyalty above accountability and that is where blind loyalty has screwed up politics.

I btw am a registered independent who has voted for democrat and republican and 3rd party candidates
You just said you would rather a politician blindly follow their promises rather than shifting positions to do the right thing. That's basically the textbook definition of an ideologue, Billie.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:08 AM

Quote:
You just said you would rather a politician blindly follow their promises rather than shifting positions to do the right thing. That's basically the textbook definition of an ideologue, Billie.
never said that. I believe in making promises, but also shifting positions is good thing. I am saying that both are good.

u can keep a promise, but if ur conscience tells u that ur original view isnt good, I say go with ur conscience.

and I am a right-winger? according to some dominionist christians and self-professed prophets out there, I am considered a "leftist" apparently cause of my criticism of some on the far-right.

I am more moderate than right-wing politically.

and obviously u have forgotten I am very critical of James Dobson, many of the tv preachers like Pat Robertson and Creflo Dollar and Mike Murdock and Robert Morris (who has turned christianity into a joke)

and also the AFA and FRC and Liberty Counsel crowds who have hijacked christianity.

and dont get me started on my views on Sandy Rios and Bryan Fischer and Matt Staver and Tony Perkins of the FRC.

I am also critical of Alex Jones and Glenn Beck who have made crap up and got people gullible enough to buy it

I am more Ron Paul than Rick Santorum or Michelle Bachmann when it comes to politics.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:27 AM

59 posts, read 105,452 times
Wow, we ought to make a thread specifically for the two of you to go at it and for all of us to watch.

Old 06-27-2013, 03:02 PM

Quote:
never said that. I believe in making promises, but also shifting positions is good thing. I am saying that both are good.

u can keep a promise, but if ur conscience tells u that ur original view isnt good, I say go with ur conscience.
Then why do you continue to bash Suttle for this, even to this day?

Old 06-28-2013, 12:46 PM

181 posts, read 359,427 times
Quote:
Then why do you continue to bash Suttle for this, even to this day?
Maybe because here, Facebook pages, other blogs, people are hell bent on tossing Stothert under a buss, yet let Suttle run amok for 4 years without saying a word. I am sure you have read Nebraska Watchdog. Plenty of Stothert haters there.

Perhaps people ought to give the woman 6 months in office before getting on their soap boxes.

Old 06-28-2013, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhettB View Post
Maybe because here, Facebook pages, other blogs, people are hell bent on tossing Stothert under a buss, yet let Suttle run amok for 4 years without saying a word. I am sure you have read Nebraska Watchdog. Plenty of Stothert haters there.

Perhaps people ought to give the woman 6 months in office before getting on their soap boxes.
What does that have to do with Billie?

And, you must not have paid much attention. The Recall Suttle websites went up before he even took office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: