Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 03:28 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,699,010 times

Advertisements

I think if you could attach a some cargo rails to hold cars they would become more popular.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2008, 04:24 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,903,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
I think if you could attach a some cargo rails to hold cars they would become more popular.
Yeah, I think the whole idea is impractical. High speed rail could only make sense if the public transportation infrastructure was much more comprehensive and developed than Omaha or Lincoln's.

Gamedays would be perfect, though!!

Old 12-16-2008, 12:24 PM

61 posts, read 183,428 times
I would love it, I love trains and subways, and theres also plenty of things in Lincoln that I would take it for but feel to lazy to drive for, council bluffites would surely have more motivation as well. If people had fast access to do things in an afternoon or get home quickly at night, the increased flow could only be beneficial for restaurants, shops, businesses, and local music and the increased exposure couldn't be negative.

Old 12-28-2008, 09:37 AM

31 posts, read 81,354 times
It could reduce accidents along the 80 strip.

Old 01-01-2009, 10:41 AM

53 posts, read 151,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Husker4rail View Post
I just don't think Omaha is big enough. I have also lived in Minneapolis which has a new light-rail that runs from the west suburbs and into downtown. I have used this line many times and am pleased with its efficiency.
Are you sure you've used it? It runs from the Mall of America in a pretty nearby southern suburb, Bloomington, into downtown. There's nothing going west, yet.

Just an innocent mistake I assume

Old 01-01-2009, 11:57 AM

1,961 posts, read 6,931,741 times
I have used the light rail between Mall of America and downtown Minneapolis twice and like it. I would much rather park at Mall of America and take the train to catch a Twins game downtown. Paking in downtown Minneapolis is a pain in the rear-end and it makes going from place to place more relaxing.

I would like to see more light rail options. I would also like to see intercity rail such as on following the I-29 corridor, which includes stops in Grand Forks, Fargo, Watertown, Brookings, Sioux Falls, Vermillion (area), Sioux City, Omaha/Council Bluffs, St. Joseph, and KC and similarly fashion light rail setups.

The one from Omaha to Lincoln would make sense in the long-term perspective. Omaha and Lincoln will become more interlinked and interwoven from economic and other perspective in the future (20-30 years down the road).

Old 01-15-2009, 03:58 PM

1 posts, read 2,846 times
What if there was a new joint airport proposed for omaha and lincoln, half-way between the cities. would that be a better situation to have highspeed rail between the two cities? an area like that could connect multiple modes of transporation (air, rail, highway). Not only would the rail get used by people from both cities to make their flights but also the people commuting back and forth between the two.

Old 01-15-2009, 04:01 PM

482 posts, read 1,333,302 times
I do not think that Omaha would ever want to depart from having the airport so close to downtown. It really is so convieniant when traveling. I hate it when you fly into an airport that is far from the actual city that you end up with a taxi bill the size of your plane ticket.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:14 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,622,435 times
An airport between Omaha and Lincoln makes no sense. (Unless you live in Lincoln). The airport wouldn't be close to anyone in Omaha. Plus it would be a drain on businesses Downtown. It's super convenient to have the airport where it is for Downtown businesses and conventions.

Old 08-20-2010, 10:22 AM

1 posts, read 2,349 times
I, living in Omaha, really don't see why Eastern Nebraskans would not want a train/light rail system here. I have lived in Minneapolis and know the benefits of having a light rail system. Nebraska has one of the highest drinking and driving rates in the nation. And now with the bars open till 2 am I dont see how this is a bad idea. We want a green world? We want to produce more jobs? It just makes sense.
Omaha is a very hilly city making it tough for biking to be too convenient. And with the commuters between Omaha and Lincoln, for Husker games or jobs in general...
Why not..?

In short, Yes.. a train/lightrail system is an amazing idea that Nebraskans should look into very soon.!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha