Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 11:47 PM

1,295 posts, read 2,512,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harshbarj View Post
They were blocking a city street (a street that everyone uses, even the so called 99%). Nothing to discuss. Their motives are irrelevant once they start breaking laws. That IS substance.

As I have said before, I agree with much of what they want HOWEVER I disagree with their tactics. All they are doing is turning public opinion against them.
Of course they were breaking laws----that's the point. It got your attention, didn't it? It also got the attention of the press and the nation. A protest action with a bunch of people gathered on the sidewalk with signs in front of a lobbyists office wouldn't even make the local papers. The whole point of the action was to draw attention to their issues---and it did. It got the discussion rolling, even here on the little ol' Omaha Forum. I'd say it was quite a success.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 11:42 AM

817 posts, read 1,772,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithy77 View Post
Of course they were breaking laws----that's the point. It got your attention, didn't it? It also got the attention of the press and the nation. A protest action with a bunch of people gathered on the sidewalk with signs in front of a lobbyists office wouldn't even make the local papers. The whole point of the action was to draw attention to their issues---and it did. It got the discussion rolling, even here on the little ol' Omaha Forum. I'd say it was quite a success.
It got my attention and has turned me even more AGAINST the movement. I am not alone in this either. The more crimes they commit the more public opinion has turned. At one point almost every story about the protests was full of pro OWS comments, today it is rare to see a positive comment.

A truly successful protest draws peoples attention not by breaking laws and being thugs, but by following the law and drawing peoples attention to the problem. Once a protest resorts to violence and breaking laws, it has lost.

Old 12-13-2011, 12:29 PM

Quote:
It got my attention and has turned me even more AGAINST the movement. I am not alone in this either. The more crimes they commit the more public opinion has turned. At one point almost every story about the protests was full of pro OWS comments, today it is rare to see a positive comment.

A truly successful protest draws peoples attention not by breaking laws and being thugs, but by following the law and drawing peoples attention to the problem. Once a protest resorts to violence and breaking laws, it has lost.
"Thugs?" Hardly. "Violence?" Nope. It got your attention, too. It hasn't "lost". On the contrary, everyone in the country is talking about the OWS movement. It has changed the political narrative in this country. "Lobbyist" is now a four-letter word. People are now aware of the enormous political power wielded by a very small number of people with vast resources ($). It didn't lose YOUR support because it never had it to begin with. Non-violent civil disobedience has a long history in this country. It involves breaking some laws at times. Read Martin Luther King's famous "Letter from a Birmingham jail". We just dedicated a huge monument to him on the National Mall in DC. I don't think you're in a position to lecture us on what constitutes a "truly successful protest." Go to the source-----study your history.

Old 12-13-2011, 01:10 PM

906 posts, read 1,812,855 times
Quote:
Once a protest resorts to violence and breaking laws, it has lost.
What violence? What laws were broken? The only violence I've seen was from police using excessive force @ UC Davis and the only laws broken were by police illegally assaulting and arresting innocent people.

http://thechaparral.com/wp-content/u...per-spray1.jpg

Old 12-13-2011, 02:58 PM

This group is hardly innocent of crimes. If you plug your ears or stuff your head in the sand they would seem peaceful.

this is not even a complete list and it over a month old.

Quote:
Arson
Assault/Threats
Drugs/Dealing
  • Occupy Boston – Two drug busts in a week
  • Occupy Boston – Another drug arrest
  • Occupy Boston – Heroin dealers busted were living with 6 year old boy directly behind welcome tent
  • Occupy Portland – First hand account “Drugs. Selling…Heroin. Meth.”
  • Occupy Portland – Video of open drug use in the camp
  • Occupy Portland – “I get high
Fraud
Illness/Death
Murder
Public disturbance
Rape/Sexual Assault
Sedition
  • Occupy DC – Let’s have a coup by taking over the military
  • Ted Rall wants occupiers to choose the path of violence
  • Occupy DC – Mike Malloy incites crowd to cheer for President Bush’s execution
Suicide/Overdose
Theft
  • Occupy Portland – Theft is ongoing
  • Occupy Boston – Store owner suffers 4 break-ins since camp began
Vandalism
How any sane person can defend a group like this.

I could see if they were isolated incidents, but they are not and are common amongst OWS groups.

Old 12-13-2011, 03:53 PM

906 posts, read 1,812,855 times
I don't have time to go through all these and disprove every one, but with the few I clicked on, there is a very loose connection between crime and the occupy movement. Looks like a lot of homeless men being misidentified as occupiers. In some of the cases, there isn't even a legitimate crime happening. Wake me up when there's a court conviction directly connected to a protest.

Old 12-13-2011, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMen View Post
I don't have time to go through all these and disprove every one, but with the few I clicked on, there is a very loose connection between crime and the occupy movement. Looks like a lot of homeless men being misidentified as occupiers. In some of the cases, there isn't even a legitimate crime happening. Wake me up when there's a court conviction directly connected to a protest.
You must be breathing in all that cigarette smog again. Should quit as it does nasty things to the mind , like close it to facts.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:36 PM

220 posts, read 378,178 times
Admittedly, I'm a johnny-come-lately to this discussion.

Personally, I think the OWS movement has a core of truth and relevance. Unfortunately, there are too many stupid people who are just protesting for the sake of protesting. And the OWS people really aren't going after the right people. As a result, they're not going to accomplish what should be accomplished.

Old 12-13-2011, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMen View Post
What he said.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:03 AM

Quote:
This group is hardly innocent of crimes. If you plug your ears or stuff your head in the sand they would seem peaceful.

this is not even a complete list and it over a month old.

How any sane person can defend a group like this.

I could see if they were isolated incidents, but they are not and are common amongst OWS groups.
In any aggregate, you're going to find crazy people who attach themselves to political movements. OWS is committed to non-violence. It cannot police every person who shows up. That's just the way it is. It was a truism during the civil rights movement, the anti-war movement, the anti-abortion movement, and the anti-nuclear movement. It is also a historical reality (look up "COINTELPRO") that opposition groups and even government operatives (called agent provocateurs) will infiltrate a movement to cause trouble and embarrass it from within.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha