Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2011, 09:09 AM

61 posts, read 164,118 times

Advertisements

I am originally from Omaha but have not lived there since 2001.

My family currently lives in MS, about an hour north of New Orleans. We are nto happy with our small town and neither of us are from here, so we do not see a reason to stay. Although we love New Orleans and know that we, the adults, would enjoy it, it is not a suitable place to raise young boys. We have agreed to move back to the Omaha area.

I have been searching for rentals. Need: 3bedroom house with fenced in yard that allows a large breed dog. Preferably a two-car garage. Single is doable (my truck can handle sitting outside ha!).

I graduated from Burke in 2000 and still have ample family in the area. I want to know where the best public school districts are within the city as well as Bellevue. My family is quite biased to their area (West O) and I do not have a problem living out there again. However, I want to know what my options are. I have two 7yros - one who is a model student. The other requires a lot of hands-on and one-on-one time. I want to find a school that can provide an alternative learning environment, such as a charter or magnet school. These types of schools do not exist in my current town. I want to give my kids more opportunity or, at least, similar to my own (if I had a time machine, I would have never have moved to MS. Aside from the food and mild winters, this is an awful place and not worth it).

I have noticed that midtown has grown quite a bit and has changed since I last lived there. My step-sister recently told me that the Dundee area is the current "trendy" place to live. True or false? And is this area exclusive to college students or is it family-oriented? How have the schools in this area transformed?

Tips and suggestions to help us move back? I've been keeping a close eye on CL and Omaha.com. Any tips for my Floridian-native husband for surviving Nebraska's weather? Ha! He loves to visit, but firmly believes that it snows in July in any state north of TN lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 05:47 PM

817 posts, read 1,770,131 times
Opinions vary wildly about whats "best" but I would just pick an area to live and go with the local school. Omaha has no "bad" school districts (and best is subjective).

As for Dundee, it is one of many areas gaining popularity. Personally I would stay in the eastern part of the city. More choices overall in places to go and things to do, all within a good walk or short bike ride.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:11 PM

65 posts, read 123,673 times
Dundee is certainly not a college area. It is one of the wealthier neighborhoods in the city. It is sort of the East Egg (Great Gatsby reference) of Nebraska (without the snobbery, because it is in Nebraska). I guess what I am saying is that it is a very tasteful and established neighborhood. Dundee is where people with aesthetic taste and money often choose to live. Midtown is the most trendy area in the city. This is more of a middle class and young neighborhood. It is a quickly gentrifying area and a very nice place to live. West Omaha is a totally faceless suburb. Hate to be harsh, and I know there are certain things people value about the 'burbs - but, if you have been in one you have been in them all. Houses that all look the same, no trees, lots of grocery getting "sport utility vehicles" and everyone is looking forward to the opening of the new Olive Garden. If you listen close enough, in between the whirring of the air conditioners, you will hear your soul being sucked out. Anyway, that's just one guy's opinion.

Old 05-18-2011, 08:33 AM

61 posts, read 164,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebr View Post
Dundee is certainly not a college area. It is one of the wealthier neighborhoods in the city. It is sort of the East Egg (Great Gatsby reference) of Nebraska (without the snobbery, because it is in Nebraska). I guess what I am saying is that it is a very tasteful and established neighborhood. Dundee is where people with aesthetic taste and money often choose to live. Midtown is the most trendy area in the city. This is more of a middle class and young neighborhood. It is a quickly gentrifying area and a very nice place to live. West Omaha is a totally faceless suburb. Hate to be harsh, and I know there are certain things people value about the 'burbs - but, if you have been in one you have been in them all. Houses that all look the same, no trees, lots of grocery getting "sport utility vehicles" and everyone is looking forward to the opening of the new Olive Garden. If you listen close enough, in between the whirring of the air conditioners, you will hear your soul being sucked out. Anyway, that's just one guy's opinion.
I can totally see that. My dad lives near 120th and Pacific. I have family in Candlewood and Eagle Run. And yeah, they're all so similar.

What I like about New Orleans is that individual creativity is embraced, but there are very few middle classers. It is either the extremely wealthy or the impoverished. I want to find the balance, but in Omaha.

What is South O like now? I have always liked the houses down there, but have never spent any time in the area (other than the zoo and Rosenblatt (RIP)).

Old 05-18-2011, 11:12 AM

482 posts, read 1,332,039 times
I'm a big fan of South O. It's a good mixture of working class folks and recent arrivals from Mexico and Central America. Some people will tell you it's a bario hell-hole. That is not true at all. Just because an area isn't 97% white does not make it a bad place. There are new businesses springing up all over the area. It is certainly one of my favorite parts of town. If we ever left Benson, Little Italy or the South 24th/Vinton Street areas would be high on the list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
View detailed profiles of: