Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 06:53 AM

7 posts, read 28,073 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Could anyone please tell me the good and bad about Papillion? Keeping in mind that we curently live in NYC and we are 39 and 43. We have family in Omaha, been there numerous times and are thinking of moving closer to them. My sister in law said Papillion is blooming. I need an unbiased opinion from non-family members. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2007, 08:23 AM

482 posts, read 2,225,418 times
Any area around Omaha is growing. Papillion is no exception. If you do move to the Omaha area the place that is right for you needs to be up to you and your spouse. don't let your in-laws decide for you. You did not marry them and live with them you married your spouse. So decide for your selves, be nice to them, kindly tell them that you two will decide where and if you move back to the Omaha area. Also you have been in the Omaha area before so you have an idea of what the area is like. Make it your home and not your in-laws home. Good luck.

Old 06-23-2007, 09:37 AM

10 posts, read 36,832 times
Papillion is really growing! Adding new schools, retail, subdivisions, and services. There's a good hospital with full emergancy capabilities (and of course, papio is close to the trauma centers as well). A new shopping center is in the process of opening right now. It's a major retail mall, in an outdoor setting, that is very pleasant. I'd hope for more higher end stores to come soon, but who knows.

You didn't mention kids, so I don't know if that's important to you. Papio has great schools, and plenty of space/parks/etc.

Papio is nice because it's only 20 mins (max in my experience driving downtown to work) from downtown Omaha, but has that open suburban feel to it. Crime is very low, and our fire/rescue service is solid.

There are loads of great areas in and around Omaha to live. In my opinion, you almost can't go wrong. I'm a big papio fan because we've lived here for 13 years, but Bellevue, Lavista, & Ralston, are also great options. Good luck!

Old 06-25-2007, 12:58 PM

193 posts, read 1,027,837 times
You can't go wrong if you have kids and want to move to Papillion. My husband and I both went to school here and have 3 children. We like Papillion because of the small town feel in the downtown area yet you have all that you need from a shopping center to outdoor fun and they have recently completed the only amphitheater in the area!! The only thing negative that I can say is that we live on the top of a large hill and the water pressure is terrible. If you live anywhere else in the city then I believe you will be fine. (just don't buy on a large hill, there are not many anyway). Good luck and go Titans!! (the school mascot for Papillion South)!!

Old 06-26-2007, 04:45 AM

88 posts, read 106,944 times
Papillion and LaVista are exploding right now. A move there would give you the closeness you desire to your families, and they are safely tucked on the county line (away from the annexation desires of Omaha) -- note Omaha will be gouging tax payers in the next 5 years as the Quest Center payments jump up -(it's not paying for itself like promised) -- police and firefighters pensions will be jumping up about that time as well -- and if they build a new stadium downtown -- WATCH OUT!!! so staying outside the reach is a smart move.

Old 06-26-2007, 09:16 AM

2,589 posts, read 10,551,886 times
Default Can't go wrong

You can't go wrong with Papillion. If I were moving to the Omaha metro area, Papillion would be very close to the top of my list. (note: if someone wants an urban downtown type enviornment then no - go Downtown Omaha)... but if you want suburban enviornment, then no better place.

Papillion (in 2005?) was listed as one of the best 25 places to live in the entire United States by Money Magazine... no other town in Nebraska (not even Omaha) made it to the list. I Google'd and found this link to the article

Papillion has a great school system: Papillion (http://www.paplv.esu3.org/ - broken link)

Papillion's city tax rate I think is the lowest tax rate of all cities in the Omaha metro area. Check out the graphs on this newsletter (broken link) from the City.

Papillion has been investing in its park systems (broken link), just built one of the best outdoor Amphitheatres in the entire region, they have regular free concerts in the park (broken link), fantastic youth sports programs - both city and private sponsored. Great sports facilities for baseball, soccer, football as part of the city park system. Very low crime rates.

You can find homes in any price range from below $100k to over 1/2 mil...

One of the nicest outdoor malls (Shadow Lake Towne Center) in the entire regions just opened on Memorial Day.

Many churches of many denominations available.

Great access to I-80 which is the major interstate running east/west across the US

Great access to the balance of the Omaha metro area and also the Lincoln metro area. You can be in Lincoln (where the capital and University are) in 45 minutes and in downtown Omaha in 20 minutes.

You can't go wrong.

Good luck with your move.

Old 06-26-2007, 09:18 AM

Default Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpdsag View Post
The only thing negative that I can say is that we live on the top of a large hill and the water pressure is terrible. If
The city has added 6 more wells to the water system, tripling the future capacity. Major new presurrized transmission lines are being added from the wells to the water distribution system. You won't have problems.

Old 06-27-2007, 01:26 PM

Default State of the County update focuses on quality of life issues

Just saw this article on the website of the Papillion Times, the local weekly newspaper... this is just an extract from the first part of the article:

State of the County update focuses on quality of life issues
By Deb Grayson, Times Staff Writer
06/27/2007
Updated 06/27/2007 11:04:07 AM EDT
Email to a friendPost a CommentPrinter-friendly
Each of the county's five mayors addressed the community's civic and business leaders at the Sarpy County Chamber of Commerce's State of the County Breakfast with a synopsis of what's happening in their cities.

James Blinn, mayor of Papillion, said he is pleased that his city is doing so well in the quality of life issues.

"With our golf courses and parks, we have 28 percent of our land dedicated to green space, compared to Omaha's 13 percent," he said.

The community's dedication to Papillion Days and the opening of the new amphitheater at Walnut Creek are additional examples of the positive qualities of life in Papillion, he said.
<.....>

for the rest, check out the Papillion Times.

Old 07-16-2007, 03:57 PM

Default Update to conversation

Not sure if you are still looking, but an update to the previous conversations. Papillion was named today as the 6th best place to live in the United States by CNN/Money Magazine.

Here is the link to their website and the Papillion article: Best Places to Live: Top 100 - Papillion, Neb. (6) - Money Magazine

Old 09-20-2010, 10:43 PM

15 posts, read 26,192 times
which has better high schools, millard south or papillion ne
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nebraska > Omaha